The discovery thread!
Jun 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,356 of 103,968
Off topic but regarding the smartphone, I'll either be getting the HTC One X or the SGS 3. I'm swaying towards the SGS 3 because people have been saying that their sound quality is very good for a smartphone but I love the look of the HTC :frowning2: I'm no audiophile so I'm not sure if I would notice the difference?

Back on topic, what would you guys say the sound signature is on the FX40's then? I have the 101's which I know has a bass sig but are the FX40's different enough to warrant a purchase?

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2,357 of 103,968
Here's the lowdown on the connectors:

1. Yes TRS plugs (headphones without mic) can cause smartphones to skip.  Dunno about all smartphones or all phones but some phones skip my LG Optimus 2X.  What I've done is download the DisableAutoPlay app for Android which disables detection of the media button that doesn't exist on these headphones to prevent skipping.

2. TRRS plugs (headphones with mic) come in 3 flavours.  Apart from the Apple-exclusive phones with like a fully functioning remote on the headphones, even the single-button headphones come in two flavours: one for Nokia, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson phones and one for everybody else.  It's apparently just a thing with which ring the button is wired to, because Philips ships an adapter with all its mic'd headphones that convert from the "for everybody else" standard to the "for Nokia/Samsung/Sony" standard.  Apparently using TRRS headphones meant for one system on the other system without the adapter will cause the headphones / phone to do God-knows-what crazy things.

Good explanation.

I knew about the TRS/TRRS thing but was still a little confused lol. So if I was to download the DisableAutoPlay app, I could use any IEM's (without mic) for my new smartphone? If so, then that's great news as I have never bothered about mic'd phones as I actually prefer skipping tracks using the mobile itself.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2,358 of 103,968
Yeah, that's pretty much it as far as I know. When I had the problem real bad the sound would even become intermittent on some TRS phones but I think that had more to do with dirty contacts than anything else.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,360 of 103,968
Quote:
Off topic but regarding the smartphone, I'll either be getting the HTC One X or the SGS 3. I'm swaying towards the SGS 3 because people have been saying that their sound quality is very good for a smartphone but I love the look of the HTC
frown.gif
I'm no audiophile so I'm not sure if I would notice the difference?

Would they allow you to try out both phones with the FX101 you have ? You could then have a subjective conclusion on each HP's sonic capability. (althought the differences would be small to minimal when compared to a good, dedicated DAP)

Quote:
Back on topic, what would you guys say the sound signature is on the FX40's then? I have the 101's which I know has a bass sig but are the FX40's different enough to warrant a purchase?

Ooooooh yeah!
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,361 of 103,968
Quote:

Would they allow you to try out both phones with the FX101 you have ? You could then have a subjective conclusion on each HP's sonic capability. (althought the differences would be small to minimal when compared to a good, dedicated DAP)

Ooooooh yeah!
biggrin.gif

I'm purchasing online I'm afraid so I haven't had hands on time with either handset. HP? What does that stand for? lol. I have heard the SGS3 is capable as a DAP though as it has a Wolfson DAC in it. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2,362 of 103,968
I'm going to check out the FX40's.  I have the 101's right now, and while I love the crazy amount of bass, I really miss the clarity my FX90's have.  I switched between them last night and the difference in clarity was stunning.  I just wish my 90's had a bit more oomph in the bass department.  Hopefully the 40's solve that!

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,363 of 103,968
Out of the 3 Carbon Nanotube based earphones FXT90, FXD80, the FX40 has the most bass great quality too.  so these will be what you are looking for. I dig em. Got my vote for cheapo of the year. Unless something else comes out this year that will take the crown these FX40 are it..

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,366 of 103,968
Quote:

Ooooooh yeah!
biggrin.gif

Man I really need to stay off this thread... I'm enjoying my fx101's a lot but I keep thinking about what Im missing out from the fx40's.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #2,367 of 103,968
Quote:
Man I really need to stay off this thread... I'm enjoying my fx101's a lot but I keep thinking about what Im missing out from the fx40's.

Woooh !   ...resistance is furtile ! Darth Vader ...I mean Dsnut's mind control is too overpowering.
ph34r.gif

...You will order a pair of FX40 !
blink.gif

LOL, frankly, you ARE missing out alot, FX101 and FX40 complements each other like doughnuts and coffee, Strawberries and Cream, Batman and Robin, Megan Fox and skimpy clothes  ....well, you'll get the drift.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #2,368 of 103,968
Quote:
Quote:

Woooh !   ...resistance is furtile ! Darth Vader ...I mean Dsnut's mind control is too overpowering.
ph34r.gif

blink.gif

LOL, frankly, you ARE missing out alot, FX101 and FX40 complements each other like doughnuts and coffee, Strawberries and Cream, Batman and Robin, Megan Fox and skimpy clothes  ....well, you'll get the drift.

double LOL. and who's that ? and i guess you meant "and a full-size headphone". it's head-fi here you know

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,370 of 103,968
Quick newbie comparison between my new FX101 and my older Brainwavz M2:

Build Quality
The fx101's build is all plastic and rubber I think. The housings are fairly lightweight but don't really feel cheap. The housing is also protected by rubber which I think also keeps the ports uncovered. The strain reliefs (or lack of) is pitiful; they're really short and the openings for the wires are way too big. The colored wire is neat but feels flimsy and picks up a lot of noise. The slim, apple friendly, straight plug seems good enough with its adequate strain relief.
The M2's housing is made from aluminum with metal mesh filters instead of the 101's paper filters and is a bit heavier as a result. My housings have picked up a few dings and scratches but who's going to look that closely at your ears? The wires exit the housings via metals stems that unscrew from the main housing and what looks like heatshrink attached to the end of the stems. The coated twisted wire that looks awesome but is a bit stiffer and does have a bit of memory to it. It also picked up noise but not as much as the 101's. The M'2 45degree  hockey stick plug is well relieved and feels very sturdy. It also has pink rings instead of the usual black rings.

Comfort and Fit
The 101's angled nozzle and medium sized body fits my ears great with the supplied tips, which are somewhat spherical silicone tips. I've personally swapped out the tips with comply T400's because I find them more comfortable and help tame the highs.The wire is long enough for me to have my phone in my pocket and still have a bit of comfort slack. The 101's are designed to be worn cord down but to eliminate microphonics you can switch right with left and wear them over the ear fairly easily. The angled nozzle also helps you find the correct earpiece blindly.
The M2's have a straight barrel design with nozzles long enough so that the body doesn't irritate your ears at all. The M2's came with install comply tips and silicone tips with colored cores. I've always kept the comply tips on and they feel great.The cord is about the same length but aren't as comfy if it's a bit twisted from sitting in its case. The M2's can be worn cord down or over the ear but the long stems make it not as comfortable over the ear. The identical housings cannot be distinguished blindly.

Sound
The 101's are definitely a bassy phone but still do highs really well. With the stock wide holed silicone tips, some simbilance cane be heard in some songs. Comply tips seem to help out with this problem. Kickdrums sound like you're standing right in front of them. Sometime they sound so real that I have to look around to see if the sound came from around me. These can definitely get you up and dancing along with your music. (Just make sure to wear them over the ear.) The bass really makes you feel like you're in the club. The 101's don't sacrifice any highs or speed for its huge amount of rumbling bass.

The M2's are supposed to be Brainwavz's bass lover's phones but the 101's kill them in bass quantity. This however doesn't mean it's light on bass; the bass impacts very tight but a lot lighter than the 101's. I think the M2's sound is warm and tamed. The highs are clear but not simbilant and the bass hits but doesn't shake your drums. I think I prefer the highs on the M2's over the 101's. These are probably more soothing if you're the type to sleep with music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back