The discovery thread!
Jun 22, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #2,371 of 100,551
Quote:

Woooh !   ...resistance is furtile ! Darth Vader ...I mean Dsnut's mind control is too overpowering.
ph34r.gif

...You will order a pair of FX40 !
...You will order a pair of FX40 !
blink.gif

LOL, frankly, you ARE missing out alot, FX101 and FX40 complements each other like doughnuts and coffee, Strawberries and Cream, Batman and Robin, Megan Fox and skimpy clothes  ....well, you'll get the drift.

Lol!!!  I think those will have to be next on my list once I feel the need to spend more on phones. Dsnuts really sparked my interest with all that rave about those nanotubes and not to mention how close they sound to JVC's newest line. I first need to buy a pair of fr201's for my gf (after finally convincing her that my fx101's sound way better than her ibuds) and sell the fx101's I ordered before I realized there was a mic'd version.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #2,372 of 100,551
Quote:
double LOL. and who's that ? and i guess you meant "and a full-size headphone". it's head-fi here you know

Yeah !   ...since its Head-Fi here, make that a Super Bass edition, full size headphone !

...at the risk of sounding like a sexists, I meant he should order a pair of FX40 and Super Bass edition, full size headphone.

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #2,373 of 100,551
is there any iem out there that offers more subbass rumble than the fx101s and less highs? i owned an ue11 and a super.fi 5EB and both has more rumbling. i am searching for this experience in the world of cheapos.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2,376 of 100,551
Do those designs not go in your ear properly?

I wonder if the SHE3580 would have more bass than the FX40?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #2,378 of 100,551
Definitely give the SHE3580 a try for sleeping on your side. Might be the most comfortable phones ever for that :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,380 of 100,551
I'd just clobber your phones with some massive EQ :p

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,381 of 100,551
So, since there are quite a few people in this thread who seem to enjoy frequencies below 300Hz, I'll just leave this right here:

http://youtu.be/PD2lP88_FMs

The bass of the FX101s, is almost too much for that tune. Amped FX40s with the SoundMagic A10 is STUNNING on this track. The clarity and separation makes the guitar parts really enjoyable, then the bass kicks in....omg.

However, if I had to pick an IEM to listen to that track unamped, It would be the SHE3580. The SHE is able to hit those sub-bass notes with ease without being too overwhelming in the midbass.

All in all, those 3 headphones cover about 95% of everything you could possibly want to listen to.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,382 of 100,551
Quote:
Quick newbie comparison between my new FX101 and my older Brainwavz M2:

Build Quality
The fx101's build is all plastic and rubber I think. The housings are fairly lightweight but don't really feel cheap. The housing is also protected by rubber which I think also keeps the ports uncovered. The strain reliefs (or lack of) is pitiful; they're really short and the openings for the wires are way too big. The colored wire is neat but feels flimsy and picks up a lot of noise. The slim, apple friendly, straight plug seems good enough with its adequate strain relief.
The M2's housing is made from aluminum with metal mesh filters instead of the 101's paper filters and is a bit heavier as a result. My housings have picked up a few dings and scratches but who's going to look that closely at your ears? The wires exit the housings via metals stems that unscrew from the main housing and what looks like heatshrink attached to the end of the stems. The coated twisted wire that looks awesome but is a bit stiffer and does have a bit of memory to it. It also picked up noise but not as much as the 101's. The M'2 45degree  hockey stick plug is well relieved and feels very sturdy. It also has pink rings instead of the usual black rings.

Comfort and Fit
The 101's angled nozzle and medium sized body fits my ears great with the supplied tips, which are somewhat spherical silicone tips. I've personally swapped out the tips with comply T400's because I find them more comfortable and help tame the highs.The wire is long enough for me to have my phone in my pocket and still have a bit of comfort slack. The 101's are designed to be worn cord down but to eliminate microphonics you can switch right with left and wear them over the ear fairly easily. The angled nozzle also helps you find the correct earpiece blindly.
The M2's have a straight barrel design with nozzles long enough so that the body doesn't irritate your ears at all. The M2's came with install comply tips and silicone tips with colored cores. I've always kept the comply tips on and they feel great.The cord is about the same length but aren't as comfy if it's a bit twisted from sitting in its case. The M2's can be worn cord down or over the ear but the long stems make it not as comfortable over the ear. The identical housings cannot be distinguished blindly.

Sound
The 101's are definitely a bassy phone but still do highs really well. With the stock wide holed silicone tips, some simbilance cane be heard in some songs. Comply tips seem to help out with this problem. Kickdrums sound like you're standing right in front of them. Sometime they sound so real that I have to look around to see if the sound came from around me. These can definitely get you up and dancing along with your music. (Just make sure to wear them over the ear.) The bass really makes you feel like you're in the club. The 101's don't sacrifice any highs or speed for its huge amount of rumbling bass.

The M2's are supposed to be Brainwavz's bass lover's phones but the 101's kill them in bass quantity. This however doesn't mean it's light on bass; the bass impacts very tight but a lot lighter than the 101's. I think the M2's sound is warm and tamed. The highs are clear but not simbilant and the bass hits but doesn't shake your drums. I think I prefer the highs on the M2's over the 101's. These are probably more soothing if you're the type to sleep with music. 

thanks for this good review....I have M4 which is considered as big brother to M2...my 101 yet to burn-in....will post my findings...so we are also using 101 to scale these Brainwavz's..lol

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2,383 of 100,551
Quote:

thanks for this good review....I have M4 which is considered as big brother to M2...my 101 yet to burn-in....will post my findings...so we are also using 101 to scale these Brainwavz's..lol

hahaha I didn't quite mean to.. They just happen to be my other favorite iems. My 101s do give my M2s a run for their money in sound though. Overall quality still goes to Brainwavz though. They really make quality earphones packed with accessories for a great price. Even better if you get them on sale like I did.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,384 of 100,551
Quote:
Do those designs not go in your ear properly?
I wonder if the SHE3580 would have more bass than the FX40?

Bass wise, they are about level however, the FX40 has the edge in the mid and upper registers, which helps explains why there are more guys here, who are sibilance sensitive, complaining about the FX40 than the SHE3580.

The FX40 are almost as small as the Philips and I've no problems sleeping on the side with them on, guess I've got big ears !
tongue.gif

...the FX101 are a different story !

I must add though that the SHE3580 is easily brought up to the stock FX40 level with just a simple 5 band EQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back