The discovery thread!
May 2, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #100,321 of 103,438
In 2024, I have really forced myself not to spend anything on chifi anymore and keep saving for 'better' gear instead, but you guys are so full of praise for Delci that I might have to make one tiiiiny little exception to that rule.
I admire your resolve to not spend more money on cheap chifi however it's nigh impossible to resist the allure of hyped up sets to see what they are all about. The FOMO is real.

May 2, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #100,322 of 103,438
In 2024, I have really forced myself not to spend anything on chifi anymore and keep saving for 'better' gear instead, but you guys are so full of praise for Delci that I might have to make one tiiiiny little exception to that rule.
Yeah I agree I try to resist temptation each Spring - alas the Delci proved totally irresistible, and boy did they fulfil (and surpass!) every expectation...probably the biggest no brainer set I've ever bought tbf.

May 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #100,323 of 103,438
I admire your resolve to not spend more money on cheap chifi however it's nigh impossible to resist the allure of hyped up sets to see what they are all about. The FOMO is real.
Very true. It's usually not so much FOMO for me as it is the fact that I always find some 'excuse' about how I could use this thing. For Delci, I have grown to like its laid back aesthetics on top of its apparently well received sound, thus I feel I could use it on the go not having to worry about it looking too bling bling.

May 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #100,324 of 103,438
Very true. It's usually not so much FOMO for me as it is the fact that I always find some 'excuse' about how I could use this thing. For Delci, I have grown to like its laid back aesthetics on top of its apparently well received sound, thus I feel I could use it on the go not having to worry about it looking too bling bling.
I think what we really need to do is all live in the same city and pass the sets around so we all get to try them. Like an Audio Mecca!

May 2, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #100,325 of 103,438
I think what we really need to do is all live in the same city and pass the sets around so we all get to try them. Like an Audio Mecca!
D'accord - it should however be spelt: Audio meCCA !! .....would've been uber useful to A/B the Trio & Delci first before pulling the trigger. Also initially auditioning sets would be a big help in making informed decisions - like for example whether to add the Rhapsody? (which do appear to be a better bang for buck than the Hydro??)

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #100,326 of 103,438
NIghtingale is a beaut! I still enjoy two hours daily on em. wide stage. Takes the harshness out of certain type of metal music as well. Not good for low-end genre, great niche for a particular kind of music. But it sure does something 'unnatural' with the music no?! has a veil (dampening?) that i love. Can't say more as I don't understand these things yet, but something there for sure : - )
It’s such an enjoyable set, it’s been a while since an iem jst clicked for me. It’s definitely one of the sets I’m considering I’m getting this year

May 2, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #100,328 of 103,438
Cable day. $30 each and they are nicely made. Unfortunately both don’t click with n5005, even when it said n5005 specific.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_oFSjydY

Snapseed.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #100,329 of 103,438
I'm not that particular fan of IER-Z1R especially on how it was tuned. Tested it many times since early 2019. For sure it has a superb technical performance and excellent fitting to my lugholes but its tuning doesn't fit well to my sound profile preference. Somewhat off to me.

I found the Z1r to be horrible. Very V shaped, wooly bass and bad treble extension with lower and mid treble prominence. Badly tuned IEM which is good for bass heads only.
The IER-Z1R was leaps and bounds beyond other IEMs, circa 2018. I was fortunate enough to get to audition a set recently and found the low end and width are still exemplary, for 2024. But the mid frequencies/vocals are seriously lacking, for a $1.6K set.

I’d probably pass on this set being sensitive to treble myself but I like that Paul was technical enough with his review to confirm that it works well at lower volume.

I’ve always shied away from “highly detailed” sets myself; as that’s just another way of saying needles in my head. But recent advancements to the Qudelix-5K’s predefined PEQ settings, for hundreds of IEMs, has opened up new possibilities, for my difficulty with detailed head sets. As my abilities with a 20 band PEQ are rudimentary at best.

So I’m dipping into a new realm, with the Geek Wold GK100

May 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #100,330 of 103,438
Recommend the Delci if you want something warm with a sub-bass emphasis or the Artti R1 for warmth with mid-bass emphasis that's has slightly tighter bass overall than Delci. Stage a bit wider with Delci, but R1 has a smidge more treble air and detail. Delci has more note weight, but R1 isn't reedy. Vocals a bit more recessed on R1, but slightly compared to Delci. No question Delci is more comfortable for me due to smaller size, but I can still wear R1 for a long time.

Both are dynamite at $60.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #100,333 of 103,438
D'accord - it should however be spelt: Audio meCCA !! .....would've been uber useful to A/B the Trio & Delci first before pulling the trigger.
I did, and you made the right call with the Delci.

The Trio is an excellent set at $40, but the Delci is better in nearly every area. Only edge I can give the Trio is treble clarity, but that came at the expense of slight glare to me. The Delci has zippo top-end glare or sizzle.

May 2, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #100,334 of 103,438

Users who are viewing this thread

Back