The discovery thread!
Sep 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #14,566 of 100,344
 Originally Posted by kova4a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, that's the geek.

So what do Geeks have to do with this thread??

Confused...

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #14,567 of 100,344

So what do Geeks have to do with this thread??

Confused...

Really? Haven't you been on this thread before? Pretty much everything is discussed in here - iems, headphones, DACs, DAPs, amps, music etc. Heck, there's been even stuff that is not audio related like Humble bundle deals. The Geek was actually in the thread's title no very long ago as a new discovery and probably will be a great DAC. This thread is more of a friendly chat thread discussing all kinds of audio gear not just iems or portable headphones even though it's located in this forum.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #14,569 of 100,344
It is the kickstarter campaign many guys including myself backed.. They can still be purchased but now for $200 instead of the $159 I payed. http://mustgeekout.com/?ref=backers  for the Geek out dac/amp.

Got my order of the RHA-MA750s in. Will go excellent with my X3 me thinks. Can't wait to hear em.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #14,571 of 100,344
  ^ He was probably being sarcastic, "Geeks" and this audio hobby, hint hint.

Well, I thought so but I'm too drunk for my sarcastic radar to work if that's the case. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #14,572 of 100,344
  It is the kickstarter campaign many guys including myself backed.. They can still be purchased but now for $200 instead of the $159 I payed. http://mustgeekout.com/?ref=backers  for the Geek out dac/amp.

Got my order of the RHA-MA750s in. Will go excellent with my X3 me thinks. Can't wait to hear em.

Don´t forget to do a follow up of them. Really interested in seeing some more reviews about them to know if they sound as good as announced to a different range of people. Gotta dodge da hype!!!

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #14,573 of 100,344
i love my CKM99s. they have a dynamic sound that is unbeatable,
forget  the sibilence  they have a special place in my headphone drawer and wont ever leave
the house or be sold.  the 3580s are killer but not at the CKM99 level,but, as DT raves, a worthy
investment for backup, presents to friends, and ear opening candy to doubters.
my S2s are now burning in and i cant wait to get 100 hours on them for listening!

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #14,574 of 100,344

Before you board the next hype train, any more thoughts on the R3?

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #14,575 of 100,344
Okay I got this package today and wasn't quite sure what to make of it as I opened it up...

Had me going for a minute as my R3 replacement was sent in a big sheet of bubble wrap inside the HM5 case and box! Suffice to say this one made it safe and sound and now I can hear what Dsnuts is talking about. These are quite balanced and more neutral sounding but not monitor voiced or sterile in any way. Still enjoyable, just more uncolored.

828212.jpg

The R3 are a great candidate for the Grado big bi-flange tips which I put on them. The fit is very easy with the black pair I put on them and they look cool. A good match, big earphones and big tips! More tip rolling needs to be done though.

The one phone I think of when I hear the R3 is the RE400. I wish I had a pair of those to compare since they are the choice for well balanced phones in this price range. I'm sure we will see some comparison of the two down the line.

I will burn this pair in and compare to my other phones and see how do match my sources which are differently voiced. So far I agree with D's that they are a unique presentation. I can hear the spacing/layers and the treble is refined and well integrated but still really distinct and served up a little more forward. Still sounds like it is coming from a different driver than the bass at this point. I hear the same bass driver needing to tighten up a bit. Unamped impression so interesting to see how that changes the low end and other things. They seem further away than most of my other phones. The drivers are back from the ear more and it sounds like it. Certainly due to the design. These are not like other dual driver designs and it shows in how they sound.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #14,576 of 100,344

^ He was probably being sarcastic, "Geeks" and this audio hobby, hint hint.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers with my Geek humor.  But I did forget about the kickstarter campaigner mentioned earlier...

atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back