The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #13,741 of 100,296
  To answer your question Cameron I was blasting on my X3 via S2.

3 of my fave albums of all time.

We have the same taste in metal D's... do you also listen to Megadeth? \m/

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #13,742 of 100,296
Did I just get my Onkyos?
beerchug.gif
There is always a place for metal in my collection. The S2s excel with metal by the way.

Sad but true. I was in a band called Asbestosaurus when I was a teen. Screaming my lungs out on stage with a 3ft phallic symbol attached to me.Creating large amount of chaos with such classics called. "William head" and "violence". .Yes I was that guy.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #13,743 of 100,296

We have the same taste in metal D's... do you also listen to Megadeth? \m/

My nephew is going to this weekend extravaganza:
http://aftershockconcert.com/

Not nearly enough metal lol! Looks like it will be an intense weekend.

One metal band that I have become impressed with lately is Avenged Sevenfold - pretty cool stuff.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #13,744 of 100,296
My nephew is going to this weekend extravaganza:
http://aftershockconcert.com/

Not nearly enough metal lol! Looks like it will be an intense weekend.

One metal band that I have become impressed with lately is Avenged Sevenfold - pretty cool stuff.

That's awesome!

Avenged Sevenfold will be headlining Soundwave Australia next year! Along with STP, Greenday, Trivium, Megadeth, and more...

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #13,745 of 100,296
  To catch up on things. First I would like to apologize for the disarray the thread is in. We cover so many "discoveries" be it hardware, and phones and such that it is hard to catalog and arrange all the impressions of everything and list everything..When I started this thread it was about a phone that kinda looked similar to these Onkyos. The TT isaurus. Those have been long since passed up by many great finds on this thread and I think we will continue the tradition of the best value for our hard earned cash on this thread and that is what this thread is all about be it the over achieving X1 headphones and great cheap classics such as the Philips SHE3580/ SHE9700. 

So I did get the mail from Zu fellas about how they are rearranging stuff and how we can purchase the Zu ipod cable from their web site. I still don't see it. The one ericp mentions is a 3.5 to RCA out cable that cost $79 it is not the exact cable we are purchasing from ebay so it is still up in the air if they are gonna continue to sell their cables or not.

As for the Onkyos I just got home and got my package of headphone and earphones. Upon first listen I think these are gonna sound solid with some burn in. I am impressed with Onkyos first earphone.. Headphone I haven't even opened up yet. I literally just threw on the earphones for a minute. It is definitely a good looking earphone. Nothing says your an audio geek like them detachable cables on chord.. I have to cram for yet another test at my institute or I would be listening to both Onkyos. I am gonna let them brew a bit before listening to them some more.. Will have some observations on the phones more later today when I get a break to listen to them.

Actually Dsnuts I think is the same cable, but it can be made into RCA or mini to mini.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #13,746 of 100,296
Ya I think your right. Wow this is WEAK.!!

$79.00!!!!!
"iPods are a gateway drug" –Nelson Pass. And we completely agree with him. The more kids the globe has listening to music the better regardless of where they get it from.
Here we offer a fantastic cable as a lost leader to get kids and the unknowing into better sound and the Zu brand.
1/8" [3.5mm] miniphone to RCA or
1/8" [3.5mm} miniphone to 1/8" [3.5mm] miniphone.
You will be prompted to pick your color at check out. Want to see your options?
Click here for a PDF of available colors.
Know how good your iPod™ or other such pocket player can sound, it's much better than you think. Yeah, it's a lot of cash for a cable, but if getting the most music you can out of your player is the goal you want to give these cables a chance.
Mission Cable features Zu and W.L. Gore™ stereo transmission technologies. They ensure the best possible tone, extension and clarity from your miniphone jack output and allow improved resolution from the system through lower noise and greater bandwidth.

Length:

Quantity:

We bought the same thing for $35 on ebay..Now we know what the tooth is! Well it looks like I will never ever buy another Zu cable ever again.. Even after I become a multimillionaire. Good luck to you Zu fellas and your expensive cables. You lost a very good opportunity. Great choice to take that cable out of ebay and then resell it on your site for $40 more. Lets mark up the cable 110% more and act like nothing happened. Lol. Weeeeeeaaaak.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #13,747 of 100,296

A7X have been a favourite metal band of mine for a while now but I've not heard much of their stuff since the original drummer died, Rev something IIRC. A pity as he actually wrote a lot of the songs (turns out not all drummers are airheads).

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #13,748 of 100,296

Yeah. I'm not quite sure where to go from my Carbo Bassos to be honest.

Final Audio Design Heaven IV is the next logical step at 174$, Heaven VI is one more step up at around 480$.
Heaven V is somewhere in the middle, but I never heard it.

If I would take Heaven VI as a "10", then Heaven IV is "8.5-9" and Basso is "7.5-8".
Sound signatures are very similar, but the Heavens have a cleaner and tighter bass, better imaging and resolution.

Don't go for Heaven VI unless you are willing to take the risk of quitting this hobby.
Seriously - not a joke.

I agree with BenF on the FAD Heaven series, although I don't think they have the same sound signature as the Bassos, based on the descriptions I've read. Also, except for the Heaven IV, they are quite a bit more expensive than the other IEMs discussed on this thread. But if you have the budget, I would definitely recommend you try them out. Many have said that the Heaven V and VI are very similar so if you don't want to go all out on the VI, I can personally say that the V at $250-300 is a great choice too. I can admit that my CKS1000 hasn't been getting much ear time after getting the Heaven V since it has been such a huge upgrade, at least to my ears.

Btw, the Heaven V/VI were mentioned earlier in this thread:

As someone who has gone thru a number of these kilobuck phones myself, I can honestly tell you that they are not. You're paying for that last 10% of performance and refinement when you shell out for a 1K+ phone. I think phones like the Flat-4, ASG-2, Heaven S/V/VI, Ex-1000, and likely the F-111 and FA-04 come respectably close to the sound of TOTL IEMs. The extra $800 bucks is netting you increased resolution, a more precise and defined stage, better treble/midrange/bass refinement/balance, and more detail. Is it worth it to some people? Yeah, it is, but is it worth it to all people, even enthusiasts on this forum? Nah, definitely not

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #13,749 of 100,296
  To catch up on things. First I would like to apologize for the disarray the thread is in. We cover so many "discoveries" be it hardware, and phones and such that it is hard to catalog and arrange all the impressions of everything and list everything..When I started this thread it was about a phone that kinda looked similar to these Onkyos. The TT isaurus. Those have been long since passed up by many great finds on this thread and I think we will continue the tradition of the best value for our hard earned cash on this thread and that is what this thread is all about be it the over achieving X1 headphones and great cheap classics such as the Philips SHE3580/ SHE9700. 

So I did get the mail from Zu fellas about how they are rearranging stuff and how we can purchase the Zu ipod cable from their web site. I still don't see it. The one ericp mentions is a 3.5 to RCA out cable that cost $79 it is not the exact cable we are purchasing from ebay so it is still up in the air if they are gonna continue to sell their cables or not.

As for the Onkyos I just got home and got my package of headphone and earphones. Upon first listen I think these are gonna sound solid with some burn in. I am impressed with Onkyos first earphone.. Headphone I haven't even opened up yet. I literally just threw on the earphones for a minute. It is definitely a good looking earphone. Nothing says your an audio geek like them detachable cables on chord.. I have to cram for yet another test at my institute or I would be listening to both Onkyos. I am gonna let them brew a bit before listening to them some more.. Will have some observations on the phones more later today when I get a break to listen to them.

Lookin forward to your impression. I'm hoping they punch at least at the price I paid! Mine probably arrived, but i'm back at school and won't get'm till the weekend!

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #13,750 of 100,296
  Ya I think your right. Wow this is WEAK.!!

$79.00!!!!!
  We bought the same thing for $35 on ebay..Now we know what the tooth is! Well it looks like I will never ever buy another Zu cable ever again.. Even after I become a multimillionaire. Good luck to you Zu fellas and your expensive cables. You lost a very good opportunity. Great choice to take that cable out of ebay and then resell it on your site for $40 more. Lets mark up the cable 110% more and act like nothing happened. Lol. Weeeeeeaaaak.

Yeppp +1. If this is all true, they missed a golden opportunity due to all the interest this Discovery Thread has generated. Plus they shot themselves in the foot by dragging their name in the mud for this obvious shady practice. Welp i wasn't really diggin' the looks of their cables anyways and now have no desire to get one now despite the positive reviews if all the speculations hold true.

See this is why i don't trust cable guys, this Zu company just proves that they can inflate the prices as much as they like without any cost of labor or raw materials going up. And WOW what a MARKUP that was, more than 100% increase!!! It probably cost them like what max $15 to make of these cables??? Pisssssh cable guys, you just can' trust them.
rolleyes.gif

THANKS ZU Cables for helping to contribute to the bad rep. of your profession!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #13,751 of 100,296

I agree with BenF on the FAD Heaven series, although I don't think they have the same sound signature as the Bassos, based on the descriptions I've read. Also, except for the Heaven IV, they are quite a bit more expensive than the other IEMs discussed on this thread. But if you have the budget, I would definitely recommend you try them out. Many have said that the Heaven V and VI are very similar so if you don't want to go all out on the VI, I can personally say that the V at $250-300 is a great choice too. I can admit that my CKS1000 hasn't been getting much ear time after getting the Heaven V since it has been such a huge upgrade, at least to my ears.

Heaven V vs. CKS1000....
633771406276058090_bitchslap-s800x600-82434.jpg

No doubt :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #13,752 of 100,296
Just received Monster Gratitudes, yes, they can be found for $60, I got mine from 1SaleADay, likely pop up elsewhere as well. Just came yesterday, haven't had a chance to listen, but couldn't resist them at that price (they have been reviewed well-I'll try to post what I think when I've had a chance to listen a bit). I'm like the headphone cheapskate, waiting for the Martin Logan Mikros 90, marked down tremendously. Also have the S2's and the Fiio X3 on the way. If I only had the time to get to all this...
As far as some of the other hp's I've heard/owned that have come up recently, the AT 1K is a fun exciting iem to listen-almost explodes on you. Accuracy is not it's main virtue, though, I do think there is some slight muddying of the sound, not the clarity/detail some like in their iem's. Also found it difficult to get a good fit, though Complys finally worked for me. I have the Tenores-great for the price, have a crazy wide soundstage, good detail, enough (but not really strong) bass, but I did note a slight thinning/bleaching of tonal color when comparing them to Sonys, Westones, AT's. Think they are fine iem's, though.
My $0.02

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #13,753 of 100,296
Of all the discounted hp's I've gotten recently, I think the best buy for me was the Phonak PFE 132, which are being discontinued, but have decent bass (could be more, though), great clarity/detail/soundstaging, and disappear in the ear, don't feel them, comfortable as can be. Watch for markdowns again, I'd say

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #13,754 of 100,296
Quick early impression on Gratitudes...prominent mids, good for lyrics/vocals, bass good amount and detail, not flabby, but aggressive highs. Sibilance. Aimee Mann and Wilco are not aggressive sounding. May be burn in needed, like them otherwise but if the highs aren't tamed wouldn't recommend them. Gotta hook them up somewhere and beat the crap out of those drivers.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #13,755 of 100,296

Wow that's certainly a powerful endorsement especially coming from a hardcore Audio-Technica fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back