The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #13,726 of 100,289

Nonsense, huh? So why are those cables only available on the website page now for a whopping $44 more? So, the exact same cable I purchased for $35 is now $79. That's one hell of a markup! Usually stuff is more expensive on ebay, not cheaper. I'm just saying.

Well, stuff like that happens all the time. And just because someone's been buying from a certain seller for years doesn't mean that seller is your friend and doesn't want to make money off your free advertising. Once the sellers see the hype train coming they take full advantage of that - just like with the sony mh1c, which was like $18-20 and in no time got to a point that sellers are selling those bulk packages at a price close to the retail package. The same happened with the yamaha eph100, which was like $65 in the nearby store before someone probably asked them about the price difference or whatever and they decided to check online what's going on. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #13,727 of 100,289

Yeah. I'm not quite sure where to go from my Carbo Bassos to be honest.

I just did some listening to the Basso's and Onkyo's.  The vocals are more forward on the Onkyo's.  I actually think the voices sound better on the Basso's.  Treble is more extended on the Onkyo's.  Sounds a little more cleaner.  The bass on the Basso's are boomier and a little more abundant and clouds the music more so than the Onkyo's.  There is better space with the Onkyo's and noticeable improvement there.  Still, I really don't think the Onkyo's are that much better than the Basso's.  Both the Tenore's and Basso's are probably one of the best buys in this thread because their cost to performance ratio.  I think the M200 is the step up but it's unfortunate of the fit.  I also believe the S2 is a step up because to me it is more refined over the Onkyo's.  If you could consider the Onkyo headphones, it's better than the earphones to me.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #13,728 of 100,289
  I just did some listening to the Basso's and Onkyo's.  The vocals are more forward on the Onkyo's.  I actually think the voices sound better on the Basso's.  Treble is more extended on the Onkyo's.  Sounds a little more cleaner.  The bass on the Basso's are boomier and a little more abundant and clouds the music more so than the Onkyo's.  There is better space with the Onkyo's and noticeable improvement there.  Still, I really don't think the Onkyo's are that much better than the Basso's.  Both the Tenore's and Basso's are probably one of the best buys in this thread because their cost to performance ratio.  I think the M200 is the step up but it's unfortunate of the fit.  I also believe the S2 is a step up because to me it is more refined over the Onkyo's.  If you could consider the Onkyo headphones, it's better than the earphones to me.  

You have the premium cable headphone?

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #13,729 of 100,289
Which is better sounding, Dsnuts: Onkyo headphone or Fidelio M1 or L1 (forget which one you have)? Thanks buddy.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #13,730 of 100,289

Hmm thanks. Looks like I may stick to my Bassos for a while. They are incredibly value for money.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #13,731 of 100,289

You have the premium cable headphone?

The premium one

Which is better sounding, Dsnuts: Onkyo headphone or Fidelio M1 or L1 (forget which one you have)? Thanks buddy.

I had the L1 and it was really good but just too laid back.  X1 dominates it.  I'd say the Onkyo is better than L1

Hmm thanks. Looks like I may stick to my Bassos for a while. They are incredibly value for money.

I think there's plenty of others with better ears so wait for further impressions but that's just how I hear them currently.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #13,732 of 100,289
The Bassos are awesome! If only it has a mic/remote, I would have kept them. But because of limited funds and the need for a mic/remote setup, I just had to sell them. 
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #13,734 of 100,289
^very nice D's... they look sexy!

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #13,735 of 100,289
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #13,736 of 100,289

Yeah. I'm not quite sure where to go from my Carbo Bassos to be honest.

Final Audio Design Heaven IV is the next logical step at 174$, Heaven VI is one more step up at around 480$.
Heaven V is somewhere in the middle, but I never heard it.

If I would take Heaven VI as a "10", then Heaven IV is "8.5-9" and Basso is "7.5-8".
Sound signatures are very similar, but the Heavens have a cleaner and tighter bass, better imaging and resolution.

Don't go for Heaven VI unless you are willing to take the risk of quitting this hobby.
Seriously - not a joke.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #13,737 of 100,289
Damn! that S2 sounds like a very rich hi-fi stereo.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #13,738 of 100,289
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #13,739 of 100,289
To catch up on things. First I would like to apologize for the disarray the thread is in. We cover so many "discoveries" be it hardware, and phones and such that it is hard to catalog and arrange all the impressions of everything and list everything..When I started this thread it was about a phone that kinda looked similar to these Onkyos. The TT isaurus. Those have been long since passed up by many great finds on this thread and I think we will continue the tradition of the best value for our hard earned cash on this thread and that is what this thread is all about be it the over achieving X1 headphones and great cheap classics such as the Philips SHE3580/ SHE9700. 

So I did get the mail from Zu fellas about how they are rearranging stuff and how we can purchase the Zu ipod cable from their web site. I still don't see it. The one ericp mentions is a 3.5 to RCA out cable that cost $79 it is not the exact cable we are purchasing from ebay so it is still up in the air if they are gonna continue to sell their cables or not.

As for the Onkyos I just got home and got my package of headphone and earphones. Upon first listen I think these are gonna sound solid with some burn in. I am impressed with Onkyos first earphone.. Headphone I haven't even opened up yet. I literally just threw on the earphones for a minute. It is definitely a good looking earphone. Nothing says your an audio geek like them detachable cables on chord.. I have to cram for yet another test at my institute or I would be listening to both Onkyos. I am gonna let them brew a bit before listening to them some more.. Will have some observations on the phones more later today when I get a break to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back