The discovery thread!
Jul 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #11,671 of 100,438
Quote:
With the WS55 pads they are almost over-ear for me since i have medium smallish ears and they are pretty comfortable. But i am sure the comfort level in outta this world with those es9 lambskin pads. haha But they are spendy though. Danny has them so he can chime in on those. The only negative beside the small on ear pads is the lumpy headband when worn. Don't get me wrong cuz they are soooo comfy but it just turns lumpy when it's worn. It doesn't look that bad, but just bring the sexiness level of these stainless steel cup beauties down a notch a bit.

So you might want to keep that in mind as well, not really a deal breaker but still...... i is shallow like that.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks. Why do you like them more than the WS99's?

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #11,672 of 100,438
Quote:

Thanks. Why do you like them more than the WS99's?

The WS99s are solid, great deep tight punchy sub/mid bass, with great mids and highs, but their sound is just bit too linear sounding to me. By this i mean they are not as sophisticated/ complex sounding as the ES700s. The ol' so sweet mids of the ES700s just sounds so luxurious and delicious that it just eats you up the more you listen to them. And with the WS55 pads their bass goes deeper/ faster and punchier which satisfies eve the basshead in me.

Plus the cups of the WS99 rattles a bit too much for me with all that bass. haha
L3000.gif
The ES700 is a more relaxing/ chill listen.

edit: Hmmm this was the reason why i traded away one of my set of S500s for the older ES7s as well. Interesting....

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #11,673 of 100,438
Quote:
The WS99s are solid, great deep tight punchy sub/mid bass, with great mids and highs, but their sound is just bit too linear sounding to me. By this i mean they are not as sophisticated/ complex sounding as the ES700s. The ol' so sweet mids of the ES700s just sounds so luxurious and delicious that it just eats you up the more you listen to them. And with the WS55 pads their bass goes deeper/ faster and punchier which satisfies eve the basshead in me.

Plus the cups of the WS99 rattles a bit too much for me with all that bass. haha
L3000.gif
The ES700 is a more relaxing/ chill listen.

edit: Hmmm this was the reason why i traded away one of my set of S500s for the older ES7s as well. Interesting....

Yeah interesting... you're getting old lol!

But what you (and Maxx) are saying about the mids is a bit painful for me to read, because I do like sweet, luxurious and delicious sounding mids!

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #11,674 of 100,438
Quote:
With the WS55 pads they are almost over-ear for me since i have medium smallish ears and they are pretty comfortable. But i am sure the comfort level in outta this world with those es9 lambskin pads. haha But they are spendy though. Danny has them so he can chime in on those. The only negative beside the small on ear pads is the lumpy headband when worn. Don't get me wrong cuz they are soooo comfy but it just turns lumpy when it's worn. It doesn't look that bad, but just bring the sexiness level of these stainless steel cup beauties down a notch a bit.

So you might want to keep that in mind as well, not really a deal breaker but still...... i is shallow like that.
ksc75smile.gif

Warning: You will not be able to remove the es700s when wearing the es9 lambskin pads, it IS out of the world. Danny was sound in his decision and thanks to him I already had this lambskin fun for 2 months! You should get them.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #11,675 of 100,438
Quote:
Warning: You will not be able to remove the es700s when wearing the es9 lambskin pads, it IS out of the world. Danny was sound in his decision and thanks to him I already had this lambskin fun for 2 months! You should get them.

Sorry for being lazy, but how much are those es9 lambskin's, and where do you get them from?

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #11,676 of 100,438
Sorry for being lazy, but how much are those es9 lambskin's, and where do you get them from?

not a problem wayne,I was the same. You can contact audiotechnica via email and provide your credit card information to purchase a luxurious $40 lambskin earpads with free shipping!
let me get the email for you

parts@atus.com

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #11,677 of 100,438
Any of you guys interested in the MP4Nation promo deal for the X3 today. It comes out to be $190 using fb2012fiver code during check out with free fed ex quick ship..Oh and you get a free pair of R1 or M5 earphones. Bonus.

So I learned today reading Mikes review on the X3 on Headfonia. Turns out the treble and bass boost is hardware instead of software meaning it will be a much more natural boost in those frequencies vs software. That is cool. I am all over one.  Excited. Though it looks like we will have to wait till the end of this month to actually get them.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #11,679 of 100,438
Ya considering the wolves on fleabay have been getting theirs.. I have more than a few times been tempted to say what the heck and just order one but there will be benefits to waiting for a finalized version. I hope all the firmware stuff is finalized and they are ready to roll.

I like what ClieOS did with that op amp mod. I can probably do that if I practice on a few boards but my father can do something like that with his eyes closed as he has been working with electronics for 40 years. Considering I own some brighter phones that can probably benefit from the warmer Fiio signature.. CKN70, FX40, HA-S500 and such I am eager to have a different player than my faithful Z1060. Though I have to admit my Z1060 has done an outstanding job for me..

I figure I can try it out and if I really like it I will just use it if not I can sell it off with not much loss and go for something else.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #11,680 of 100,438
I was tempted by the X3 as my Studio Anniversary is not working, but I've been reading on the X3 thread, and, aside from all the bells and whistles (line out, hi rez, etc), some there don't think it is better sounding than an ipod (especial LOD to an amp), in fact, not as good. Makes me want to see the response to the X5 when it's out. Of course, other opinions may differ.

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bd/100x100px-LS-bd6f34b0_6.png[/img]
  1. bowei006
  2. Panda man
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1372544110.png
  5. online
  1. 26,523 Posts. Joined 4/2011
  2. Location: Panda Sanctuary

That's a bit surprising to me, iPod being better sounding. From my quick reading through would have thought the opposite. X3 has other features, as mentioned, but sound is my 1st priority (I also happen to have 2 left over iPod Touch's from when my teen daughters moved up to iPhones, no investment required). I'd think using hi-rez files X3 would KILL iPods, but maybe that's not the case.

No. An iPod with line out capabilities to a good amp is better than X3. Not by itself.

Traditional stacks and audiophile daps play very different roles and are a bit hard to compare as you are comparing a lexus luxury car worth $40,000 to a Corvette worth $40,000. Each has its own use and fits a different person

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #11,682 of 100,438
Jul 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #11,683 of 100,438
Quote:
Joker just reviewed the Ultimate Ears UE 600 / 600 vi.

With and 8.6 for sound, nothing at its price point (MSRP $60) even comes close.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-288-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-600-600vi-added-07-05-13-p-725/10860#post_9591423

Not exactly true. Joker even mentions the the similarly priced In-Ears 3 which he gave an 8.6, the VSD1S , the A161 when on sale(8.7, I believe), the Tenore, ebay Klipsch X7i($50), and some others. An important thing is just look at the pics on Amazon. One is of a broken cable.

The build leaves some to be desired. I did own these when they had the straight plug which didn't break but that was pre-Logicheap :)
I'd suggest purchasing some heatshrink tubing to go along with them. Also, most of the denizens of this thread won't find the bass very satisfying. Truly armature; pretty light hitting and lacking richness but capable of definition and some detail. IMO, a nice driver to place a dynamic in front as part of a hybrid earphone.

Not trying to rain on your parade, Grayson, but there is a bit more to the story than these scored well and they are a no-brainer. Some issues but for $50 shipped a nice option for those who want a mid-focused phone.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #11,685 of 100,438
Quote:

Not exactly true. Joker even mentions the the similarly priced In-Ears 3 which he gave an 8.6, the VSD1S , the A161 when on sale(8.7, I believe), the Tenore, ebay Klipsch X7i($50), and some others. An important thing is just look at the pics on Amazon. One is of a broken cable.

The build leaves some to be desired. I did own these when they had the straight plug which didn't break but that was pre-Logicheap :)
I'd suggest purchasing some heatshrink tubing to go along with them. Also, most of the denizens of this thread won't find the bass very satisfying. Truly armature; pretty light hitting and lacking richness but capable of definition and some detail. IMO, a nice driver to place a dynamic in front as part of a hybrid earphone.

Not trying to rain on your parade, Grayson, but there is a bit more to the story than these scored well and they are a no-brainer. Some issues but for $50 shipped a nice option for those who want a mid-focused phone.

Sorry, what I meant is that nothing on Joker's list comes close to 8.6 SQ for the $60 MSRP.  Even at $80 and below, the next closest is RE0 at 8.3.

http://theheadphonelist.com/?model_search=&headphone_price1=&headphone_price2=80&average_rating1=0&average_rating2=10&sound_rating1=0&sound_rating2=10&build_rating1=0&build_rating2=5&isolation_rating1=0&isolation_rating2=5&comfort_rating1=0&comfort_rating2=5&microphone_rating1=0&microphone_rating2=5&accessibility_rating1=0&accessibility_rating2=5#

I did not mean that there aren't any better headphones on the planet for $60.  He doesn't have the headphones that you've listed on his chart.

I actually have the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore and was wondering how the Ultimate Ears 600 compares.  It's only $50 shipped on Amazon.  I may try VSD1.  If I see the A161p at $50 shipped, I may give them a try as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back