The discovery thread!
Jun 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #10,426 of 100,525
TroLoLoLoLoLO, you got those CKN70s from oneo'clockseven??? HA!!! i was tempted to buy it back from him tbh, but it seems so stupid to do so so..... i should have kept those senni tips sigh. :angry_face:

Nah i just don't use those WS99 for some reason (they are amazing no doubt), but i have been only listening to my FXZ200s. I guess i am more of an iem type of guy since they are so much better on the go and isolates much better than most headphones.

Plus i just traded for a used set of ATH ES7s, which has this warmth to it that i like a lot. The WS99s might be a bit too linear for me, so i am letting them go not cuz of those JVC SZ2/1Ks but due to not using them at all. Don't get me wrong i am more than happy to keep them, but just like the Fiio E17s I don't have any use for them sadly.

Yeah. I would've bought them sooner if it wasn't for that darn Tenso. lol I don't like dealing with middlemen. I want to buy direct dang it! And buying direct was going to cost way more so I waited it out. I keep eyeballing those S500s but haven't jumped yet. :D I didn't see a point in buying them when I <3 DT880s sooo much. I'm trying to share listen time with the HD600s but it's tough to get the DT880s off my head. :dt880smile:

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #10,427 of 100,525
Quote:
Yeah. I would've bought them sooner if it wasn't for that darn Tenso. lol I don't like dealing with middlemen. I want to buy direct dang it! And buying direct was going to cost way more so I waited it out. I keep eyeballing those S500s but haven't jumped yet.
biggrin.gif
I didn't see a point in buying them when I <3 DT880s sooo much. I'm trying to share listen time with the HD600s but it's tough to get the DT880s off my head.
dt880smile.png

Yeah i don't think you will need the S500s esp. with that amazing inventory you already got. Though they are sure fun to play around with/ modd and it doesn't hurt they sound great as well. Plus they are so cheap so why not. haha They sure have taught me A WHOLE LOT about sound and what sound signature i want that's for sure. Also picked up some modding tricks so they were a win win for me. I still love my fully HM5 pad modded set, even the WS99s can't completely destroy them. LoL

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #10,428 of 100,525
Hey all,

I haven't logged on in a long while, anyone care to give me a quick rundown on what's new on the discovery thread since the s400? I'm finding going through the last 300 pages a tad arduous.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #10,429 of 100,525
Quote:
Hey all,

I haven't logged on in a long while, anyone care to give me a quick rundown on what's new on the discovery thread since the s400? I'm finding going through the last 300 pages a tad arduous.

You looking for headphones or iems?

Oh, and what price range?

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #10,432 of 100,525
Just Any new interesting under priced over-performing IEMs, or something i might have missed that is worth reading about.

Zero Audio is the new kid on the block.

There is a thread about them. :wink:

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10,433 of 100,525
Quote:
Just Any new interesting under priced over-performing IEMs, or something i might have missed that is worth reading about.

My picks:

Zero Audio DX210 Bassos
- Can be had on amazon japan for $45 US + $20 tenso shipping = $65. Worth up to 2x as much imo.

Vsonic VSD1
- Can temporarily be bought at lendmeurears for $43 US
- Then will be $51 US. Worth up to 2x as much imo.

ATH CKS1000
- Can be bought on amazon japan for $135 US + $20 tenso shipping = $155. Worth a lot more imo.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #10,434 of 100,525
Quote:

My picks:

Zero Audio DX210 Bassos
- Can be had on amazon japan for $45 US + $20 tenso shipping = $65. Worth up to 2x as much imo.

Vsonic VSD1
- Can temporarily be bought at lendmeurears for $43 US
- Then will be $51 US. Worth up to 2x as much imo.

ATH CKS1000
- Can be bought on amazon japan for $135 US + $20 tenso shipping = $155. Worth a lot more imo.

Great suggestions!
I'd include the Hifiman RE-400s on that list...

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #10,436 of 100,525
Quote:
So... my VSD1's have arrived today and I am going to say something very rash. Out-of-the-box I think I prefer them more over my 385 IEM. Now, it's not because the 385 is pale in comparison to them, but instead the mids on the VSD1 seem to be forward a little and that makes this the first pair of IEM that I've owned that didn't have bland or recessed mid-range. I actually prefer the sound signature of strong lows & mid-range.

The other reason is that the VSD1 is a lot easier to drive than the 385s and they are more comfortable in your ear. Both are meant to be worn down, which is something I dislike doing, but the VSD1 actually make this enjoyable. The adjustable nozzle really helps it.

So, for now I am going to burn-in the headset and use the 385, but after that I think the 385 will be my gaming--the 3D imagining on these are still on another level--and back-up pair of headphones.
biggrin.gif

Oh, update on the 385's burn-in; The mid-range is no longer recessed but it still lacks a flavor of its own compared to the higher quality bass and luscious highs. Definitely a great buy for $30--as I figure all of the CCv2 look-a-likes will be--and they have warmed up a little bit. I'd definitely use this for genres like Garage Rock & Electro.

Double Flange tips on the 385 really help tighten and clean up all the sound spectra.

I'm not surprised that you are liking your VSD1's! They are rather great.

Any changes to your 385 impressions relative to them? 

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #10,437 of 100,525
So for a while now I've had my heart set on the Sony XB90EX as an upgrade to the MH1C. I'm a big fan of the MH1C's sound signature. Now that I'm about ready to buy though I see a few other options out there, namely the CKS99, VSD1, and the Carbo Basso DX210. So which of the four is the best upgrade over the MH1C (assuming they are all actually upgrades in the first place)?

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #10,438 of 100,525
Quote:
So for a while now I've had my heart set on the Sony XB90EX as an upgrade to the MH1C. I'm a big fan of the MH1C's sound signature. Now that I'm about ready to buy though I see a few other options out there, namely the CKS99, VSD1, and the Carbo Basso DX210. So which of the four is the best upgrade over the MH1C (assuming they are all actually upgrades in the first place)?

Based on cable alone, they are all remarkably wonderful upgrades! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

On SQ alone, they are all very nice upgrades. I'm not familiar with the CKS99's, but from what I've read, they are pretty good. If they are anything like the cks1000's, they are good indeed. Both the VSD1 and the DX210's are upgrades for sure. Very different signatures, so it comes down to personal preference. The DX210's probably have the most similar sig to the mh1c's.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #10,439 of 100,525
Agree with Wayne's suggestions. If you want an upgrade that sounds exactly like the mh1c, the Sony XBA 3 has the exact same sound signature. You can find them really cheap on eBay or our sale forum. Mugen is selling his XBA30s.

Make sure to read more about the xba3/30 before jumping in because it has its own quirks.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #10,440 of 100,525
From your list i suggest cks99 as upgrade to mh1c. they have more clarity, better mids and punchy lows when needed. they sound better than xba-4 too. i dont believe that vsd1 would be an upgrade- they are vsonic entry level iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back