The discovery thread!
Feb 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,006 of 100,129
I like my Radiopaq jazz better then my she-3580 better presentation and clarity.

Quote:
Anyone think the [size=1.7em]Radiopaq Custom Tuned Jazz Earphones [/size]could be better than the SHE3580´s same price ATM for me in the UK, strange for once something is cheaper in the UK :S lol 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radiopaq-Custom-Tuned-Jazz-Earphones/dp/B0022NHHZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328985143&sr=1-1

Just ordered some CKM50´s too (thanks to some kind soul on here who decided he would send them to me from US! Wont tell you who incase he gets bombarded with emails from angrey Englishmen)

Thanks again for the heads up on the bargains!

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #1,007 of 100,129
I bought the Philips SHE3580 from MediaMarkt in Shanghai for ¥98 (USD$15). I've only listened for a few hours so the earphones are not burned in yet. I'm using the stock tips at the moment. Can anyone give recommendations for different tips that will improve the sound? This is my very first IEM so I don't have any other tips to use.

Observations so far:
- Good isolation. It blocked out noisy traffic of the streets of Shanghai very well
- Very comfortable and easy to wear.
- Microphonics are very bad.
- Soundstage is near non-existent, all the sound sounds stuck in my head with not much instrument separation. The sound gets somewhat congested when lots of instruments play in unison on complex songs. Even my closed Audio-Technica M50s have way better soundstage.
- Treble is nice and smooth with good extension. The treble is rarely sibilant or piercing, only a few tracks have occasional problems with treble (for example "Adventure" by Capsule has too sibilant 'sh' sounds).
- Mids are reasonably good but not as refined as my Audio-Technica M50s.
- The SHE3850s are very forgiving to poor quality tracks.
- Balanced mid-bass with no bloat (great!)
- Sub-bass is very strong and extends deep, fantastic for electronic dance music. I like the strong sub-bass but wish it would be tighter and not so boomy.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,008 of 100,129
Quote:
I bought the Philips SHE3580 from MediaMarkt in Shanghai for ¥98 (USD$15). I've only listened for a few hours so the earphones are not burned in yet. I'm using the stock tips at the moment. Can anyone give recommendations for different tips that will improve the sound? This is my very first IEM so I don't have any other tips to use.

Hey nice write up, however not sure if you know that the CKM50´s have apparently the same sound as your M50´s (maybe a tad better accordng to Dsnuts) so if you feel the Philips´ are lacking compared to your cans then the CKM50´s may be a good option if you can manage to get hold of them for a decent price...only $30 in the US !

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,009 of 100,129

I have both, JAZZ are more neutral, due having bass less extent than SHE.

Depends if you like with more or less bass, Jazz have enough .

Quote:
I like my Radiopaq jazz better then my she-3580 better presentation and clarity.

Are the Jazz even better for EDM music, or do the Philips hold up with this genre, also for all types what would be better?

These are for my sister you see, i gave her my Brainwavz M1 and she broke them after a few months :frowning2: And then told me that there was no point in buying high end earphones as they break just as easily so you may aswel get the cheapest ones possibe...yeh i know :FACEPALM: 

So basically i cant let her use the cheapos from the petrol station, so its Jazz or SHE3580´s (she aint getting my Brainwavz M2´s lol)

Edit: sorry about double post guys

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,010 of 100,129

Quote:

Are the Jazz even better for EDM music, or do the Philips hold up with this genre, also for all types what would be better?

These are for my sister you see, i gave her my Brainwavz M1 and she broke them after a few months :frowning2: And then told me that there was no point in buying high end earphones as they break just as easily so you may aswel get the cheapest ones possibe...yeh i know :FACEPALM: 

So basically i cant let her use the cheapos from the petrol station, so its Jazz or SHE3580´s (she aint getting my Brainwavz M2´s lol)

The M1s aren't the most durable IEMs out there due to their lack of strain reliefs. If you find that she's rough with IEMs, you're going to have to give her some more sturdy stuff. Did she enjoy the M1s to begin with? 

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,011 of 100,129
I have been listening to my SHE3580s more and am starting to become unhappy with them. The sub bass is too boomy and the mids are too recessed both due to the V shaped frequency response. I thought my M50s were V shaped too so I expected it to be similar sounding but the SHE3580s are way too V shaped. EQ does solve the problem somewhat but I don't want to use EQ on my iPhone 3GS since EQu (the app I'm using for EQ) takes a lot of battery power and won't let me multitask without lag. I was really hoping I would like the SHE3850s but now I think I'll buy something from the Audio-Technica CKM line to replace it.

Here is my EQ setting for those interested:
74e806c2-f78d-0909.jpg

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,012 of 100,129

Quote:

I think SHE are better for EDM with his great and extended bass, JAZZ are more all-round.

But if is for using in street, SHE are more comfortable and insulate better.

So depends on you.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,013 of 100,129
Quote:
The M1s aren't the most durable IEMs out there due to their lack of strain reliefs. If you find that she's rough with IEMs, you're going to have to give her some more sturdy stuff. Did she enjoy the M1s to begin with? 

Well dont think she can tell much difference tbh, hence why she´s satisfied with crappy ones, i think ill grab her some SHE3850s  she definatly wont complain put it like that! :p

How do you think the SHE3850s hold up against the M1´s? 

Cheers Pack21 think the philips seem to be the best bet then :D

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,014 of 100,129
The SHE3580 has more sparkle but the M1 does everything better. But I've also experienced mediocore build quality from the M1's both of them died within 7 months

Quote:
Quote:

Well dont think she can tell much difference tbh, hence why she´s satisfied with crappy ones, i think ill grab her some SHE3850s  she definatly wont complain put it like that! :p

How do you think the SHE3850s hold up against the M1´s? 

Cheers Pack21 think the philips seem to be the best bet then :D

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,018 of 100,129
Quote:
Static shocks I would assume.

If the shocks are from near the headphone out i would assume it would be the source

Perhaps i was being to hard on my sister and i think the philips will do her nicley lol 

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,019 of 100,129
I have been listening to my SHE3580s more and am starting to become unhappy with them. The sub bass is too boomy and the mids are too recessed both due to the V shaped frequency response. I thought my M50s were V shaped too so I expected it to be similar sounding but the SHE3580s are way too V shaped. EQ does solve the problem somewhat but I don't want to use EQ on my iPhone 3GS since EQu (the app I'm using for EQ) takes a lot of battery power and won't let me multitask without lag. I was really hoping I would like the SHE3850s but now I think I'll buy something from the Audio-Technica CKM line to replace it.
Here is my EQ setting for those interested:
74e806c2-f78d-0909.jpg

My EQ settings for the SHE3580 are similar to yours and I just got the CKM50. After testing with sine sweeps and music I concluded that those are even more v-shaped than the SHE3580. Maybe the CKM77 for you? IDK I think dsnut‘s picks sound great but they don't seem to tend to sound neutral lol :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back