The discovery thread!
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #99,166 of 100,165
I have both. Both are bass heavy. Neo 5 has a thick sound, due to heavily skewed towards sub bass, making music sound slow. Overall sound gives you a feeling of raw power. It suits most of electronic dance music, but best in bass music. Doscinco have more delicate sound. To some extent, it is more balance and suits for rock, metal, and most of electronic dance music
Oh! This is what I wanted to hear, he convinced me, I'll go for Doscinco. Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #99,167 of 100,165
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kiwi-ears-singolo.27108/reviews#review-33584
The Singolo review finally finished.
DSC_0076.jpegD.jpeg

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #99,168 of 100,165
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #99,169 of 100,165
Howdy folks, my review of Simgot DEW4X is online on my blog and head-fi

Conclusion​

DEW4X_00015.jpg

With DEW4X, I can see that Simgot brings something different to the USB DAC/amp market with the pleasant and tasteful colouration applied to the midrange tonality. Such colouration is particularly relevant in an IEM market that increasingly converges to a Harman-like sound signature with thinner and brighter midrange. If you own a Simgot IEM, this dongle should be high on your list. If you are after a warmer midrange presentation without extending your budget for some fancy discrete R2R DAC/amp, DEW4X is also viable option.

What I like about this device:
  • Compact and well built
  • Pleasant colouration of vocals and instruments
  • Independent volume control
  • UAC 1.0 mode
What could be improved:
  • Have some challenges with difficult IEMs and earphones
  • Volume adjustment is not fine-grained enough for sensitive IEMs
  • Soundstage is intimate
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this device.

DEW4X_summary.jpg

Updated: April 17, 2024

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #99,170 of 100,165
Great review, lot of time and effort went into that.
Well thank-you. I wanted to do the Singolo justice. And different from my first impressions, the included ear-tips didn’t really work out, where they look better than they are. But really I guess I completely said everything I wanted to put down about it. My favorite part is the music review section where I use the Ghost cover of Iron Maiden’s Phantom Of The Opera. I was simply listening along and became fully side tracked. Haha where truly the Singolo is not perfect, as there are others in the same price point that offer better technicalities, yet they don’t always have the correct timbre or tune like what Crinacle gave this IEM. There is an honesty that it does that makes up for stuff like the maximum stage it doesn’t quite do. Due to the bass and stage size, I figure that is where Kiwi ears got the idea for the wide-bore ear-tips. They would have been great tips, only the sidewalls were flimsy.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #99,171 of 100,165
graph (16).png

Fresh from the coupler.

I predicted that Project ACE has a lot of 8kHz based on what I hear. Folks at HiBy corrected me that it has reduced 8kHz and a subtle cut at 6kHz to control sibilance. I was stubborn, so I measure before finishing my subjective notes.

I was wrong :dt880smile: The treble energy indeed focuses at 5kHz, cut at 6kHz, with moderate 8kHz.

Anyhow, I couldn't find any IEM tuned that "flat" from bass to upper midrange like this IEM. The closest I can find is the good ol' FD7. There are indeed similarity between these IEMs in subjective experience and even how they respond to volume.

I'm surprised that despite that sad looking upper treble, the stage and midrange texture are good.

I'm also surprised that the bass is thumpy and fun despite having modest amount. I think there are two causes:
  • Flatter frequency response makes/allows me to turn up the volume. According to the equal loudness curve, I hear more bass and upper treble.
  • The dynamic driver being used are quite large (12mm, metal diaphragm with Beryllium plated cone). If you have ever tried FiiO FH9, you might get what I mean. The amount of bass is not that much, but it's so thumpy and physical.
In summary, Project ACE is an entertaining IEM. Great for gaming. Great for movies. And surprisingly competent at orchestral music, soundtracks, and vocals. No shortage of technical performance, besides the lack of a laser sharp imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #99,172 of 100,165
If y’all trying to talk mids, how bout the old Aurisonics Rockets? Think Hifiman 262 texturing but with better balance. Unfortunately the same praise can’t be given to it’s treble response.
Rockets was good. Etymotic er2se is better and simgot ea 1000 retired my er 2 se but it is v shape.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #99,173 of 100,165
I can now say (with confidence) that the combo of the LZ A4 Pro and an inexpensive balanced cable (e.g. the NiceHCK Silvercat) are a heavy contender, for the sub $100 category. All because of a serendipitous firmware update, to my Qudelix-5K.

With the MoonDrop Dusk's accolades, for the "Default" DSP setting, by so many reviewers, I randomly chose the Blessing 3 preset PEQ and accidentally combined it with the "HipHop" preset, on the Qudelix-5K. The results show that the A4 Pro is very EQ friendly.

Now I have a set that is serious competition for the Xenns Mangird Tea 2.

LZ A4 Pro2.jpg

1713359590297.png

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #99,174 of 100,165
Anyone have strong feelings? I like aful explorer.
I am actually in the camp of Performer 3 so the naming convention is somewhat consistent (One, P5, P8 all tell the number of drivers).

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #99,175 of 100,165
Once again, I have not resisted the lure of participating in this forum. Today I received the much adored CCA Trio. Not that I really need them, but for 27€ I don't really have much to complain about. I appreciate their natural timbre and overall frequency balance. The tuning successfully avoids any hints of harshness and fatigue, so it's not a problem to spend hours with them. I must also acknowledge that they handle vocals of both genders (and probably others as well) very nicely. My only minor reservations would be the absence of the finest details, and I would also like to see the bass a bit more contoured. At the price, however, it's probably not fair to have exaggerated expectations.
I use an inexpensive balanced cable from Xinhs with them, and they get along best with Dune S&S (I've tried Divinus Velvet, JVC Spiraldot, Penon Liqueur Black/ Orange, and many others from KBEAR and Symbio).
I'm still experimenting with switches, but I'm liking the UDUU combination more and more...
P.S. Sorry for the translator.

Edit: Don't expect anything as analytical and clean and clear bright in the budget category as the Simgot EW200, but on the other hand you get much more versatile IEMs that get along with a greater number of musical genres. And you can't say that about many budget IEMs...
Got mine yesterday. For the price of a midrange triopwin cable, you get a nicely tuned iem. Hope they make something single DD with these drivers and with similar tuning.
IMG_9329.jpeg

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #99,177 of 100,165
Sir guy @vsg28 is brutal 😂

DB55D014-D279-4BB5-838F-6CFFC12A1F2E.jpeg
Oh nooo, is he really trying to say The FX15 is disappointing?!

I think Variations uses the same drivers (just 2 of them) and its weightless diffuse treble sounds more like a fart in an elevator than something that should render a musical experience. Maybe you do need 4 of them after all. Or maybe it's time to move on.
Fart really isn't a good way of describing sounds. They can come in at least 8 different octaves and some have much better story-telling capabilities than others.

Howdy folks, my review of Simgot DEW4X is online on my blog and head-fi

Conclusion​

DEW4X_00015.jpg

With DEW4X, I can see that Simgot brings something different to the USB DAC/amp market with the pleasant and tasteful colouration applied to the midrange tonality. Such colouration is particularly relevant in an IEM market that increasingly converges to a Harman-like sound signature with thinner and brighter midrange. If you own a Simgot IEM, this dongle should be high on your list. If you are after a warmer midrange presentation without extending your budget for some fancy discrete R2R DAC/amp, DEW4X is also viable option.

What I like about this device:
  • Compact and well built
  • Pleasant colouration of vocals and instruments
  • Independent volume control
  • UAC 1.0 mode
What could be improved:
  • Have some challenges with difficult IEMs and earphones
  • Volume adjustment is not fine-grained enough for sensitive IEMs
  • Soundstage is intimate
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this device.

DEW4X_summary.jpg

Updated: April 17, 2024
I bet both of yours reviews are wonderful, but I actually have both of these things coming soon and want to make my judgement my own. I will check afterwards if our thoughts match at all 👍

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #99,179 of 100,165
My thoughts on this, yours may differ: In terms of not meeting the expectations set forth by FiiO's own marketing, sure. The switch is unnecessary too as it's ridiculously dark and feels like it's playing through a pillow case when it's off. In either case, the bass came off slightly bloated and the upper mids were too hot for me making female vocals and string instruments come off harsh with minor sibiilance. Unfortunately I don't see anyone even including it in review comparisons anymore, let alone actually doing reviews or simply talking about the FX15.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #99,180 of 100,165

Fart really isn't a good way of describing sounds. They can come in at least 8 different octaves and some have much better story-telling capabilities than others.

I bet both of yours reviews are wonderful, but I actually have both of these things coming soon and want to make my judgement my own. I will check afterwards if our thoughts match at all 👍
Enjoy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back