The discovery thread!
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #99,121 of 100,109
I like the fun sound but want something with as much bass but more controlled so that it does not bleed into mid range.
Wait for @baskingshark reviews of Doscinco and Hype4. Must be coming soon. One of em should do it for you. Doscinco should be half the price of Hype4.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #99,123 of 100,109
Moondrop, has pulled the page, from their AE Official Store.

I only got to the retired page, because it's still listed in my cancelled orders.
1713315753819.png

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #99,124 of 100,109
stick to single dynamics for coherency and naturalness?
Yup

The HiBy x FAudio Project ACE shows me that there is still life in this driver topology rather than a dead end like I thought.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #99,127 of 100,109
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #99,132 of 100,109
Having the mid peak at 2.5k is right on the money imo, as long as it’s a smooth volume increase which that is. Very nice in that regard.
I underestimated this IEM so much when HiBy shared with me the graph before sending the IEM over :dt880smile: Though I respected the tuner behind the scene (Steve Lin, same one who worked on Zeta and Yvain), so I accept the review invitation. Glad I did. FAudio did something great with the dynamic driver and the acoustic chambers here. The driver is “fast”, revealing more texture across the frequency range even more so than my Yvain (which unironically has become my daily driver with W4). Interestingly, I expected meh stage and micro details due to the stingy upper treble, but it is not the case. Large stage, good positioning, strings are full of details. Steve Lin does a great job with the tonal balance here. Both voices and orchestras sound natural and realistic. The bass is not overtly boosted, but bass notes have firm attacks (likely due to the treble) and a nice physical thump. Again, very natural and “tight”. Two Steps From Hell sounds great with these IEMs.

Two concerns:
  • Treble is higher than upper midrange. As a result, it sounds slightly different from usual Harman-ish (treble lower than upper mid). I don’t like the treble with silicone tips. It’s a bit splashy. Much better with foam.
  • I still have difficulty fitting the right ears.
Minor nitpicking: in FPS gaming, the imaging at the sides and back, as well as the sense of height is excellent, no complaint. However, the forward projection of the stage is not great. The sound from the front tend to float up rather than staying at the front. Of course, this issue is highly HRTF dependent. I blame the treble. It does not give me the radar-like perception like the Symphonium Crimson, for example.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #99,133 of 100,109
Since MoonDrop took pre-orders, I would guess, that they would also do backorders, for the Dusk. But we’ll see, if forum members report either extended shipping delays or cancelled orders.
Good chance they sold out the early batches and need to stop taking sales before the next production batches ready.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #99,134 of 100,109
I underestimated this IEM so much when HiBy shared with me the graph before sending the IEM over :dt880smile: Though I respected the tuner behind the scene (Steve Lin, same one who worked on Zeta and Yvain), so I accept the review invitation. Glad I did. FAudio did something great with the dynamic driver and the acoustic chambers here. The driver is “fast”, revealing more texture across the frequency range even more so than my Yvain (which unironically has become my daily driver with W4). Interestingly, I expected meh stage and micro details due to the stingy upper treble, but it is not the case. Large stage, good positioning, strings are full of details. Steve Lin does a great job with the tonal balance here. Both voices and orchestras sound natural and realistic. The bass is not overtly boosted, but bass notes have firm attacks (likely due to the treble) and a nice physical thump. Again, very natural and “tight”. Two Steps From Hell sounds great with these IEMs.

Two concerns:
  • Treble is higher than upper midrange. As a result, it sounds slightly different from usual Harman-ish (treble lower than upper mid). I don’t like the treble with silicone tips. It’s a bit splashy. Much better with foam.
  • I still have difficulty fitting the right ears.
Minor nitpicking: in FPS gaming, the imaging at the sides and back, as well as the sense of height is excellent, no complaint. However, the forward projection of the stage is not great. The sound from the front tend to float up rather than staying at the front. Of course, this issue is highly HRTF dependent. I blame the treble. It does not give me the radar-like perception like the Symphonium Crimson, for example.

You have become the official Hiby reviewer boss! And strangely, Yvain and others, are they getting to other reviewers and spreading the word or not. Haven't seen much either here or on YouTube. What's the price of this particular iem?

PS: hope they give you the R4 dap too. Street cred escalation with your students when you swing that thingy

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #99,135 of 100,109
PS: hope they give you the R4 dap too. Street cred escalation with your students when you swing that thingy

Speaking of the R4 DAP. It looks like Hiby finally has their R4 page up now, but not yet ready for prime-time.
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r4

I need a new DAP as my Tempotec Variations V6 is not doing so hot. It's very slow, apps like to crash and a microsd card failed in it, so great timing. While the R4 is not as powerful as the V6, i hope it at least sounds as good but this remains to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back