The discovery thread!
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #98,086 of 101,685
Tansio Mirai X, on NiceHCK GrKing Cable 7N Silver Plated OCC+Graphene OCC

Well. this was unintentional, but, . . .
Go Dolphins !!!!
Go Dolphins.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #98,087 of 101,685
Tansio Mirai X, on NiceHCK GrKing Cable 7N Silver Plated OCC+Graphene OCC

Well. this was unintentional, but, . . .
Go Dolphins !!!!
need these tips in neon green please. lol

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #98,088 of 101,685
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #98,089 of 101,685
Ey, welcome back mate. I remember the cheery dude in your profile from reviews in the past :beyersmile:

I’m listening to the discography of Samuel Kim. The dude is a genius.

What an excellent impression! So much info is conveyed in easy to understand and non-ambiguous manner in a few short paragraphs. You should review more often.

Mate, you shame my 1010 setting for being boring a while back. Now I use 1110 and you switch to 1010 :beyersmile:

Edit: I usually think of IEMs as computer screens.

I see tonality as colour of a screen, and technical performance as the resolution, refresh rate, and G-sync, that sorts of thing. Of course if the colour is wrong, it goes to the bin. I don’t mind if the screen does 100% balanced colour or have some deliberation with it (more vibrancy, some sort of “film simulation), as long as it is still 1080p 240Hz or 4k 144Hz. I’ll be mad if a $$$$$$ screen has 720p but “boutique emotional colour” :beyersmile:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a huge fan of Samuel Kim too!

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #98,090 of 101,685
As mentioned earlier, I'm listening to Slipknot's self titled debut thru the Cowon J DAP + CCA Trio and currently spinning Liberate.....LIBERATE BANANAS!!! :wink:
You have a fantastic collection of DAPs my friend. As a huge Sony fanboy myself, i can't help but notice your collection of Walkmans :)

Out of all of your DAPs, which one is your favorite?

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #98,092 of 101,685
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #98,093 of 101,685
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #98,094 of 101,685
Ooh, postpone buying decisions, people. Things just got way more interesting
1711762938263.png

1711762956858.png

Additionally... not quite on the same level but yeah but big things on the way.

Hiby R4 out early April as well.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #98,095 of 101,685
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #98,096 of 101,685
I ordered those when I ordered the Himalaya a few days back but do you have any idea which filters and stuff I am best off using on them?

How much sugar and or creme you use on your coffee? We all are different in how much or how little we like to add or not add to the pure blackness of coffee. If you like your coffee straight up then something as simple as that extra nozzle with one of the more open nozzle coverings is all you need. Or none at all. But you like your coffee a bit sweet you can add more denser nozzle mesh and then add a foam piece underneath.

In other words it will be a matter of taste in how you hear the Himalaya. I have a piece of foam underneath the Simgot harmon nozzle filter to bring down a bit of the upper mids on my set and It sounds great to me. I tried some of the other filter options and they sounded better to me than what the stock nozzle was doing. Not to mention the Himalayas just fit better in the ear with a longer Simgot nozzle. Better fit = better sound. Try this and that and I am certain you will be able to figure out what you prefer. You might even like the stock nozzle the best. I would definitely burn them in real good before the nozzle changes.

It is all a mater of taste. To test out the differences test out one of your favorite vocal tracks and see how the tonal quality changes for you between the stock nozzle and the Simgot one you are messing with and go from there. You can tune them to be full on warm to a much cleaner sound if you like. That will be up to you.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #98,097 of 101,685
Just a quick question to all. How often would you take a musical/euphonic sounding IEM over a technical beast?
What factors will contribute to a good balance between them?

Hmm I think both have their place, and I will keep both types of gear in my collection.

When for example analyzing a track or wanting to do critical listening, I would prefer a technical IEM.
When chilling back and just relaxing to music, a musical IEM will be the preference.

But we must also talk about the elephant in the room, which is pricing. If something is considered budget, like $20ish USD, I can close one eye if it aces tonality/timbre but has bad technicalities - eg BLON BL-03.
But if we are talking about MidFI equipment, I would expect minimally average to above average technical chops and a decent tonality. Can't be a one trick pony for more expensive gear, as there are other big boys that can ace all departments well, so why do we need to put up with a so-called inferior set that only does well in tonality but flops at technicalities?

Ooh, postpone buying decisions, people. Things just got way more interesting

I hope to audition these stuff at the upcoming Singapore Can Jam in a week's time. Will report back!

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #98,098 of 101,685
You have a fantastic collection of DAPs my friend. As a huge Sony fanboy myself, i can't help but notice your collection of Walkmans :)

Out of all of your DAPs, which one is your favorite?
So hard to pick, as I tend to bounce around quite a bit, but if I was forced to choose just one to keep, and get rid of the rest, I'd probably choose the Sony A306, if only because of it's size and overall customization ability, followed ever so closely by the WM1A and DX170 a tight and close second?

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #98,099 of 101,685
So hard to pick, as I tend to bounce around quite a bit, but if I was forced to choose just one to keep, and get rid of the rest, I'd probably choose the Sony A306, if only because of it's size and overall customization ability, followed ever so closely by the WM1A and DX170 a tight and close second? Can't sleep on the A55 for battery life and overall sound, but it requires an amp for many IEMs.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #98,100 of 101,685
Hmm I think both have their place, and I will keep both types of gear in my collection.

When for example analyzing a track or wanting to do critical listening, I would prefer a technical IEM.
When chilling back and just relaxing to music, a musical IEM will be the preference.

But we must also talk about the elephant in the room, which is pricing. If something is considered budget, like $20ish USD, I can close one eye if it aces tonality/timbre but has bad technicalities - eg BLON BL-03.
But if we are talking about MidFI equipment, I would expect minimally average to above average technical chops and a decent tonality. Can't be a one trick pony for more expensive gear, as there are other big boys that can ace all departments well, so why do we need to put up with a so-called inferior set that only does well in tonality but flops at technicalities?

I hope to audition these stuff at the upcoming Singapore Can Jam in a week's time. Will report back!

Waiting for your field report and impressions bro. Wish I can be there but no time and no extra money to travel there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back