The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #101,671 of 103,549
@Redcarmoose Sure I immediately read it when you posted it about an hour ago... I have "only" about 6 IEMs here at the moment, but as I believe, all with more or less "niche tunings"... got bored with "all the same all the time" so to speak... and the Aurora seems to fit into this niche scheme nicely.
The wild thing is the micro-planar driver for treble. I literally don’t have an IEM that has that sound. It is not EST, it is not BA and it is not micro DD treble or full range DD treble. While the bass is not the most detailed for the money, it has a wide displacement too! The 2X BAs take care of the mids well. At times this setup borders on thin, but not really, the Aurora has it all! One of the most entertaining set-ups.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #101,672 of 103,549
Hey ya'll, I got some information on the Tanjim 4u. Getting one in as a sample. I wanted to know your opinions on it:

DMT 4Ultra Single Dynamic Driver TechnologyDelivers <0.05% distortion, stronger dynamics, and higher efficiency for clear, immersive sound.

Sounds like promising iem with various Bass tuning for hopefully a reasonable price:
DfcseQxyoi7MknJrxOgcHuOdsc_DrlXsmIlFgeux7A0YkYomXB_tREWNpK7RHkFbZDZS15I4f65qtC88Jjh2GoL3_jnybERza6C7A2JcC6FJGr7inTHAlvPsVQ1G8lIdCVzDUBWmm1tG4KwJvw7j6FA

I tried this at Can Jam Singapore.

It has 4 tuning options via a bass dial vent located at the inner aspect of the IEM, something akin to the Sennheiser IE80S.

Would have wanted to jack up the bass to check out the bassier tunings, but alas they didn't have the device available at the booth to turn the knob. Anyways, I only heard the balanced dial sound (midpoint between least bass and most bass), and this was very transparent sounding, safely tuned, excellent timbre.

Anyhow, I’m much more interested in IEMs that use alternative means of delivering sound rather than just via the ear canal. Think of those ceramic plates that vibrate the shells of MEST IEMs, DD woofers firing against the concha of FirAudio, or these “passive radiator”

Bone conduction transducers might be the future of the hobby. I know they are existing BC hybrid IEMs or even pure BC headsets, but I feel the tech isn't totally refined as of 2024.

Basically, on a normal day to day basis, humans hear via both air conduction (AC) and to a lesser extent, bone conduction (BC).

366025919_680387250643391_2482407960862400166_n.jpg

AC is the usual route we hear (red path above) - as its name suggests, sound waves travel thru the air, and the outer ear funnels these to the middle ear and thru the eardrums, into the inner ear nerves, which are converted to electrical signals to the brain.

BC (orange path) is the alternative route, whereby sound is transmitted thru vibrations along the skull or jaw bone. They bypass the outer/middle ear and eardrums, and directly go to the inner ear nerves. For example, BC is in play when you cover your ears and you speak; you can still hear words, because sound goes thru the skull bones to the inner ear.

BC tech has actually been around for centuries. The famed composer Beethoven lost his hearing (possibly from Menierre's disease or lead poisoning), and his livelihood would have been affected should he not be able to compose or hear music. He used a creative DIY fix by sticking a rod to his piano, and clenched it in his jaw, thereby using BC to hear transmitted sounds.

Currently, BC has widespread use in hearing aids for folks who have conductive hearing loss or tinnitus, to bypass the eardrums, and are also used in the military (BC headsets can transmit commands, but still allow soldiers be situationally aware through AC). Some sports enthusiasts use BC sets for situational awareness while cycling around for example.

BC has disadvantages in isolation (and hence sub-bass), and the sound isn't as refined as pure AC wired stuff as of this year. BC tech is still in its early stages, and who knows, maybe give it a few years and the technology will get more refined and useful to audiophiles.

1000075222.jpg

So, basically charge in the nights

Wow even 6 hours via fast charging is abysmal.

May 15, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #101,673 of 103,549

It has 4 tuning options via a bass dial vent located at the inner aspect of the IEM, something akin to the Sennheiser IE80S.

Would have wanted to jack up the bass to check out the bassier tunings, but alas they didn't have the device available at the booth to turn the knob. Anyways, I only heard the balanced dial sound (midpoint between least bass and most bass), and this was very transparent sounding, safely tuned, excellent timbre.

Bone conduction transducers might be the future of the hobby. I know they are existing BC hybrid IEMs or even pure BC headsets, but I feel the tech isn't totally refined as of 2024.

Basically, on a normal day to day basis, humans hear via both air conduction (AC) and to a lesser extent, bone conduction (BC).

366025919_680387250643391_2482407960862400166_n.jpg

AC is the usual route we hear (red path above) - as its name suggests, sound waves travel thru the air, and the outer ear funnels these to the middle ear and thru the eardrums, into the inner ear nerves, which are converted to electrical signals to the brain.

BC (orange path) is the alternative route, whereby sound is transmitted thru vibrations along the skull or jaw bone. They bypass the outer/middle ear and eardrums, and directly go to the inner ear nerves. For example, BC is in play when you cover your ears and you speak; you can still hear words, because sound goes thru the skull bones to the inner ear.

BC tech has actually been around for centuries. The famed composer Beethoven lost his hearing (possibly from Menierre's disease or lead poisoning), and his livelihood would have been affected should he not be able to compose or hear music. He used a creative DIY fix by sticking a rod to his piano, and clenched it in his jaw, thereby using BC to hear transmitted sounds.

Currently, BC has widespread use in hearing aids for folks who have conductive hearing loss or tinnitus, to bypass the eardrums, and are also used in the military (BC headsets can transmit commands, but still allow soldiers be situationally aware through AC). Some sports enthusiasts use BC sets for situational awareness while cycling around for example.

BC has disadvantages in isolation (and hence sub-bass), and the sound isn't as refined as pure AC wired stuff as of this year. BC tech is still in its early stages, and who knows, maybe give it a few years and the technology will get more refined and useful to audiophiles.

Wow even 6 hours via fast charging is abysmal.
I remember asking someone whether UM BCD is snake oil. They asked me to gently rub my face and asked if I can hear a sound. I said yes. They said “that’s bone conduction”. No more snake oil question from me ever since.

The real bone conduction headset sounds way worse than I imagined though. There is not really soundstage because the sound literally comes from inside my head. But I like these IEMs that can make an “echo” of the main sound by using a driver outside the ear canal. They create an effect that normal IEMs cannot do no matter how good they are. That’s why I might go for MEST as my “endgame” rather than Anni or anything ear-canal-conduction-only. I already have the U12t for that.

May 15, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #101,674 of 103,549
Foolish me! I should have just stuck with the Coreirs, but noooooooo, I said to myself, what if I put the Aure tips from the ST7 on the Trio? Hmm...So I did, and THEY ARE REVELATORY!! UGH!! Why do I do this to myself?! I only have the one pair of large from the Aure selection! So for the time being, I guess they will share the two tips, until I can find something similar and complementary, or I can procure a second set of these tips?
Or better still.....procure SEVERAL pairs haha !!

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #101,675 of 103,549

I worked 6 years in bone conduction sound transmission medical devices... just saying...
Ok, it might give a tiny bit of a more holistic, natural experience, but in an IEM which attaches only to cartilage and thin ear skin, and that without much pressure, there is really too little BC sound transmission possible, strictly physically. > If you have Cartilage and skin it attenuates the vibrations too effectively so you need a lot of pressure to overcome this... but then you run into being an uncomfortable experience.

If you would have another, additional BC sound transmitter behind your concha which puts some good pressure onto your mastoid region and when this device works perfectly along with your inserted IEM, yes, then you likely have a unique -for us here- new sound experience... but built into an IEM, my professional opinion on this is: marketing.

EDIT: I'm happy to answer some specific questions on this topic... I just want to avoid that people have unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #101,676 of 103,549
I worked 6 years in bone conduction sound transmission medical devices... just saying...
Ok, it might give a tiny bit of a more holistic, natural experience, but in an IEM which attaches only to cartilage and thin ear skin, and that without much pressure, there is really too little BC sound transmission possible, strictly physically. > If you have Cartilage and skin it attenuates the vibrations too effectively so you need a lot of pressure to overcome this... but then you run into being an uncomfortable experience.

If you would have another, additional BC sound transmitter behind your concha which puts some good pressure onto your mastoid region and when this device works perfectly along with your inserted IEM, yes, then you likely have a unique -for us here- new sound experience... but built into an IEM, my professional opinion on this is: marketing.

Yep I sign off on audiometries daily as my jobscope and indeed, bone conduction needs to be pressed on a bone or cartilage of the skull area to transmit sounds. You are right that the mastoid bone transmits much more effective for BC than the cartilage of the ear, but there are hybrid BC IEMs I have tried that press on the cartilage of the ear that do have some vibrations transmitted, mostly at the bass regions (this can't be picked up on graphs and may need one to be in a quiet isolating area to be perceived).

Yeah a lot of these BC IEMs are definitely marketing gimmicks and do not change much of the sound, but a few I've tried eg BQEYZ Wind does have a bass resonance added from the BC inside.

A lot of other pure BC headsets like the ones used in the military or by cyclists actually press on the back of the mastoid behind the ears, those are the "true" BC tech that has untapped potential, probably not those IEMs that press on the cartilage of the ear.

May 15, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #101,679 of 103,549
For you jazz heads. Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension
Aaaa! It's fenomenal!..
Mate! I haven't felt this incredibly giddy since I first heard Flat Earth Society 12 years ago!
May Allah prolong your days in happiness and prosperity.

May 15, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #101,680 of 103,549
Yep I sign off on audiometries daily as my jobscope
I thought you are a professional musician in Singapore 🤔

E45F92B8-233C-442F-9440-59196AB782FE.jpeg

868ADB07-FC9E-42E7-A33A-5EC00FE1E119.jpeg

Look who landed today.

Some key points:
  • The shells are small and comfortable. The faceplates look better in real life.
  • Nice bass
  • Nice stage. The shape of the stage somewhat reminds me of magic one with the midrange standing half a step back
  • The tuning is easy going and correct, again kinda like Magic One. No shrill, no sibilance even with Ed Sheeran’s “shivers”
  • Note attacks have a softness to it similarly to magic one. The details at the tail end of the note is good.
It’s a solid IEM.

Edit: it’s impressive how much sound we can get with less money nowadays.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #101,681 of 103,549
I remember asking someone whether UM BCD is snake oil. They asked me to gently rub my face and asked if I can hear a sound. I said yes. They said “that’s bone conduction”. No more snake oil question from me ever since.

The real bone conduction headset sounds way worse than I imagined though. There is not really soundstage because the sound literally comes from inside my head. But I like these IEMs that can make an “echo” of the main sound by using a driver outside the ear canal. They create an effect that normal IEMs cannot do no matter how good they are. That’s why I might go for MEST as my “endgame” rather than Anni or anything ear-canal-conduction-only. I already have the U12t for that.
BCD does use our skull and jawbone as some sort of resonance chamber that even some connective tissue are somewhat affected. Our ears are cartilage and cartilage are connective tissues.

May 15, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #101,682 of 103,549
Spot on! There might be an audible effect when you have absolute normal hearing and -even with sound isolating BC IEM's- you better be in a quiet environment.
If there is "something" it is veeery subtle at best.
So you're saying BC is like cables? LOL

May 15, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #101,683 of 103,549
Aaaa! It's fenomenal!..
Mate! I haven't felt this incredibly giddy since I first heard Flat Earth Society 12 years ago!
May Allah prolong your days in happiness and prosperity.
Thank you!! :pray: Likewise!

May 15, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #101,684 of 103,549
I hate when super experienced people hype something... it always results in these strangely red numbers on my account and I have no clue what they mean.

@Admins: Please put a frickin disclaimer on this thread! ...like "Before entering the Discovery Thread, check your finances!" or "Enter at your own risk,"
06024168-C859-476C-8140-E7C0EF980961.jpeg

May 15, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #101,685 of 103,549
For you jazz heads. Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension

For genres like jazz, the TRN ST7 rates a (4/5). From the overall resolution of the horns to the bass punch to the bite of keys and guitars, as well as the imaging and staging, it's a wonderful aural statement of how good these cheap IEMs sound and how far this hobby has come in just a few short years.

I'd rate them (3.5/5) for reggae and R&B, as well as classic rock
I'd rate them a (3/5) for metal in all it's various sub genres and hard rock

Sounds cool...I'll d/l later cheers !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back