The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #962 of 100,127
More opinions on the SHH3580.  The bass is nice and extended with fairly good detail, the highs can be quite sharp but extend nicely.  Not a fan of the mids, this phone is definitely V shaped.  It's funny, I used to think I'd like V shaped earphones as that is how I tend to set my EQ but after hearing the GR06 mids are vitally important to me now.  Even when you push the mids the SHH3580 has a veiled sound, it's just not as clean as others.  Soundstage is quite wide but doesn't have much depth, positioning is only adequate.
For EDM  these are good, very enjoyable......for rock not so much, the timbre is just off.  But for the money these are very good really, can't complain......plus the remote works find with my phone and has replaced the standard headset. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #963 of 100,127
Been listening to a lot of http://www.bassdrive.com on my SHE3580s lately. These headphones continue to blow me away. Where other headphones give nothing but sibilance on the fast moving high-hats and bells of Drum N Bass music, these headphones don't seem to have any trouble at all. All the while giving those low low low low sub-bass tones.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #964 of 100,127
I am looking to get a new pair of 'inexpensive' IEM's for my son and the SHE3580 looks like it fits the bill, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with both the SHE3580 and the Sennheiser CX475 - which are available for $20... not much more than the Phillips buds....

I am probably overthinking this, as my son will have either lost or destroyed them in a few months....

I just am trying to keep him away from my IE8's and TF10's!

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #965 of 100,127
I am listening to Isurus as my TF10 broke now. All I can say they sound fantastic for their price. I have another couple of earphones upto 60$ mark and they aren't as good sounding as Isurus. I just wish Isurus had isolation, it's like there isn't any at all.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #966 of 100,127

Quote:
I am listening to Isurus as my TF10 broke now. All I can say they sound fantastic for their price. I have another couple of earphones upto 60$ mark and they aren't as good sounding as Isurus. I just wish Isurus had isolation, it's like there isn't any at all.

Indeed a great iem for the price, i love then, by their singular signature in some genres, over my other iem's.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #967 of 100,127
Well. I went and got myself what I thought might be the driver that is in the isurus. If you guys want to read about these CKM77s It is on the CKM50 thread. So this is what is very interesting.  CKM77Vs Isurus..

So when I wrote this thread I always thought these sounded eerily like the AT sound signature. So how do they fair against an actual AT CKM77?. The CKM77s leave these Isurus behind in every single category in sound. However there are some striking similarities that I found to be very interesting.. The highs of the isurus is extended as are the CKM77 but not as defined or refined as the CKM77.  The mids have clear definition where the isurus is just forward sounding. The bass is also more refined in the CKM77s. These sound tweeks give great imagery and details to the CKM77 sounds. 

You know what the isurus sounds like? They sound like a detuned CKM77. And what I mean by detuned. I can tell AT house tweeks on these CKM77 give them the refinements and detail that AT is known for and while detail on the isurus is not lacking. It is almost as if the same drivers are used but all these sound tweeks was not..

There are some similarities in these to still think the isrurus might be using a developed driver from AT.  But truth be told the isurus is out classed by the CKM77s. Think of the CKM77s as a much more refined version and you guys will get the idea.  

I still find the clarity and detailing on the sounds of the isurus for their price point still far exceeds their price point.  Now for the guys that naturally want an upgrade for your isurus. Is the CKM77 worth it? The CKM refines everything about to isurus sounds. Deeper richer acoustics with clean instrument separation. Better refined highs that is less sharp yet more detailed at the same time..

Some of the smoothest mids on any earphones, Now the bass is very similar on the CKM77 to the Isurus but I noticed bass notes are also more defined and refined as well.. The CKM77 cost around a $105 or so and the isurus cost around $25 or so. Now is the refinements worth all that extra dough? That my friends is up to you..

Just know. The CKM77 sound almost just like my A900X and that alone was worth it for me. Happy listening fellas.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #970 of 100,127

Quote:
Since they appear to have a back vent, not sure it is possible without affecting their sound quality

No, they are not back vent....i open mine, and there wasn't any vent.

The vent in Isurus, is  only the small hole that is at the base of the nose, in body of Isurus....you can try plugging the hole with adhesive tape, but will creat vacuum seal on tips.

The best way to isolate, is to put some foam inside the tip.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #971 of 100,127
I'm here to express my deepest gratitude to both dsnuts and Joe Bloggs for discovering and sharing these gems of an earphones with me and the rest of the community.

I haven't really been that interested in audio quality, until now my equipment has consisted of a Sony mp3-player or various cellphones as player and whatever was cheapest at local electronics store as earphones. At one point I even ponied up for a set of UE super.fi 3's because I got tired of the cheapos braking all the time, but never really got comfortable with them or noticed any marked improvement in sound quality. At home I've got Sennheiser RS180's, but even those I got more for the convenience of wirelessness than any great expectations of mindblowing sound. Despite the fact that I probably spent 2/3 of my waking time wearing somekind of headphones, I really wasn't interested in the quality of the sound itself; as long as it had no audible faults, I was content.

So fast forward to last week when I was surfing the net looking for info on the on the new RS220's and somehow stumbled upon head-fi and this thread piqued my interest. Thermaltake in the header especially interested me, since it was a familiar name from the world of pc's and I thought it might be nice to read how their products fair in audiophile circles. Needless to say, I was expecting it to be promptly slaughtered, and was quite surprised to see dsnut's gloving and almost overly enthusiastic review, and even more surprised to see others agreeing it to be good. You see, until then I had thought this whole audiophile malarkey was just fools flaunting their money and nitpicking over minor differences and that the perceived huge differences in audio quality were just delusions of people that had spent a huge amount of money and willed themselves to like what they had bought. But this thread gave me some hope that maybe it's not that bad and there really is something to this, and when I saw a pair of blue 3580's in a shop for 15€, I decided to give them a try. Basically I needed new earphones and these were cheaper than what I usually buy, so what the hey, I'll give it a try. With trembling fingers I opened the package in the parking lot and swapped them with the generic cheapos I was wearing at the store and pressed play.

And I must admit it was pretty impressive, from the get go. It felt like I had been hearing the music through a length of a sewer tube, but now I was right in front of the band. I'm not really up on the lingo, but instead of the music pounding in my forehead, it feels like it comes from outside my head; guess that's soundstage. Also love the bass that instead of just thumping annoingly and causing a headache seems to be felt instead of heard. These together make it easier to listen some of my favorite tunes from likes of Bad Religion, Gossip and White Stripes that have kind of a fat sound that usually fatigues my ears pretty quickly. The last two days I've been listening through all my albums and some Spotify and games without a hint of discomfort, up to six hours on one sitting. Now I'm really impressed, so much that I ordered the Isurus too, just to be able to compare the two and find out if I could find the different qualities mentioned in this thread and to find out what I actually want in my headphones. I'm still not completely sold on this whole [for the want of a better word] audiophile thing, and am ready to admit that it might all just be my hyped imagination, but if it's this cheap and brings this much enjoyment, I really don't care.

So long story short, thanks for a great thread and keep on keeping on. 

_/\_

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #972 of 100,127
It is funny how you can find some very interesting stuff on line..I am glad that landed you here to headfi.. See all of use here at headfi choose not to put up with crap stuff they throw in your players and such. There is a choice and we decide to get better for the money.. The stuff on these threads range from a $7.11 Mp8320 all the way to headphones and set ups that will cost as much as a new car.  But one thing we all have in common. We actively look for stuff that will let us enjoy our music the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Out side of a live music set I think getting better equipment will give us as close to this as possible.

You came to the right thread too as most if not all here at headfi will be about expensive stuff. Once in a while we will find a hidden gems that don't cost much. I suppose that is my specialty. In the end if you rediscover your music. That is what it's all about.  Welcome to headfi and enjoy your new discovery. Something I try to do every single day myself. .

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #973 of 100,127

Quote:
.... The CKM77 sound almost just like my A900X and that alone was worth it for me. Happy listening fellas.

Good evening and first of all thank you so much for your extremely interesting testing !
Just a question ... during extended listening do you get more discomfort with the A900X or the CKM77 ?
which you prefer on voices ???
Thanks again and kind regards,

gino

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #974 of 100,127
The A900X is what is on my picture for avatar. They happen to be my favorite fullsized headphone. If your asking me which one is more comfy. The CKM77s fit perfectly in my ears and while they are iems they offer hours of listening without having those huge cans on my head..I would say the CKM77s offer around 90-95% of the sound that is offered from my full sized cans and that is astonishing to me.

The A900X has big stiff pleather pads and I only wish it was more soft but they aren't I have gotten used to their fit but I actually prefer my iems for ultimate comfort as I sometimes forget the are in my ears. For vocals my fullsized cans give more of a full range dynamic but the CKM77s comes very close. Of the 2 if you are ok with having an earphone vs a full sized can. I would go for the CKM77s. More comfort. Easier to use and much much cheaper for almost the same type of sound signature.. So much more convenient as well.  Way cheaper as well. $115ish vs $280-$300 for the A900X. Just lovely for vocals on both phones.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #975 of 100,127
Daaah I just bought both.  I read about 30 pages of this thread and kept going back and forth between the Tts and the Philips.  I ended up getting both because it seemed that the Thermaltake had slightly "more fun" and more refined sound than the Philips but the Philips sounded more neutral and balanced and could be worn over-ear for the gym. 

Funny.  The last thing I bought from Thermaltake was an AM CPU cooler for my rig.  Headphones seems like quite a stretch in terms of diversifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back