The discovery thread!
May 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #9,376 of 103,421
I just discovered something and I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. I finally got around to doing an ABX comparison between compression level 5 FLAC file (which is the standard) and an uncompressed FLAC file. I was able to pick out the uncompressed file; somehow I can hear a difference. I know it's supposed to be impossible, but an ABX test doesn't lie.

The uncompressed file sounds more, I wanna say open, but that's not the word I'm looking for. It's a subtle difference, but it's noticeable enough to where I'm going to start ripping music in uncompressed. This is why I think this may be a curse. The file sizes are much larger and I'll have to either convert or re-rip a lot of my music.

You guys can call me crazy all you want, but I know I can hear it. I first did the test with my S500s and the differences were much harder to pick out. Right when I plugged my CKN70s in I could tell the difference almost immediately. In case anyone is curious I used Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold for my test.

May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #9,377 of 103,421
Discovered - great deal on ATH AD900X! For sale here in headfi's forum for $135 + shipping.

If you have been sitting on the fence and wishing you could find a good deal on them, well that's it!

If you already have a closed pair of headphones like the S500's or the WS99's etc, having an open set of cans like these is a beautiful thing :)

Edit: I just read "sale pending" on that post. Still worth checking back to see if the sale goes through or not.

May 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #9,378 of 103,421
Quote:
I just discovered something and I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. I finally got around to doing an ABX comparison between compression level 5 FLAC file (which is the standard) and an uncompressed FLAC file. I was able to pick out the uncompressed file; somehow I can hear a difference. I know it's supposed to be impossible, but an ABX test doesn't lie.

The uncompressed file sounds more, I wanna say open, but that's not the word I'm looking for. It's a subtle difference, but it's noticeable enough to where I'm going to start ripping music in uncompressed. This is why I think this may be a curse. The file sizes are much larger and I'll have to either convert or re-rip a lot of my music.

You guys can call me crazy all you want, but I know I can hear it. I first did the test with my S500s and the differences were much harder to pick out. Right when I plugged my CKN70s in I could tell the difference almost immediately. In case anyone is curious I used Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold for my test.

I wasn't really even aware of "compression level 5 FLAC" files, so I'm glad you posted the above. I've now ripped a few songs at level 5 compression and level 0 compression. Next step will be to get the abx comparator going to see if I can hear any difference between 320 cbr mp3 and flac level 5 and flac level 0 files. I really hope that I can't, because I want to be happy with 320 cbr mp3 files.

May 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #9,380 of 103,421
I wasn't really even aware of "compression level 5 FLAC" files, so I'm glad you posted the above. I've now ripped a few songs at level 5 compression and level 0 compression. Next step will be to get the abx comparator going to see if I can hear any difference between 320 cbr mp3 and flac level 5 and flac level 0 files. I really hope that I can't, because I want to be happy with 320 cbr mp3 files.

Make sure you rip FLAC uncompressed, not level 0, I think they're different. I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference between 320 and FLAC though.

May 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #9,381 of 103,421
My secret discovery was shipped today. Let see how long will take to arrive. 
One more hint, for now you can buy it only by sending email, it is not for sale anywhere yet. 
redface.gif

May 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #9,382 of 103,421
Ok this is kinda a random question but i think a lot of you modsters know where to get these things. Just want to know where i can find these type of headphone driver cover foam disc for cheap. Do most craft stores carry things like this???

These AKG ones seems to be the best quality and fit but shipping is really expensive.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/290952.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CIzB2ueugrcCFQ9dQgod-jYApg

I just need something simple as pictured here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/82mm-foam-sound-sponge-For-80mm-90mm-100mm-110mm-headphone-ear-pad-/251256434326?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a800cee96

This was the cheapest thing i could find that is similar to what i am looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pack-80mm-3-1-4-inch-headphone-Earphone-EAR-pad-cup-earpad-foam-cover-earbud-/150817708565?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item231d6f9a15

Thanks in advance ya'll!!!

May 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #9,385 of 103,421
^LOL

May 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #9,387 of 103,421
Quote:

can you try this?

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/madFlac.htm

and this?

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

i got the feeling that it maybe an encoder/decoder issue for the difference between flac level 5 and uncompressed

in any case do a bit comparison test between the original cda in the CD and the produced flac (uncompressed) and between the flac uncompressed and the flace level 5 compressed. they all must be bit-identical to each other. when this is done use the madflac for decoder which does a bit decoding process

and then do an abx test using madflac

also check here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493678/a-better-sounding-alternative-to-foobar2000-or-a-musing-in-the-realm-of-bit-perfect-streaming/225#post_6682421

May 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #9,388 of 103,421
Haven't done the testing myself, but there are some on Head-Fi who strogly believe they hear a difference between FLAC and WAV (WAV being better, of course). As FLAC is by definition "lossless", I'm at a loss (ouch) to see why it should be so. On the other hand, "perfect sound forever" on CD players was found later to be susceptible to jitter, something that didn't exist before CDs and digital technology, so who knows?

May 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #9,389 of 103,421
Quote:
Haven't done the testing myself, but there are some on Head-Fi who strogly believe they hear a difference between FLAC and WAV (WAV being better, of course). As FLAC is by definition "lossless", I'm at a loss (ouch) to see why it should be so. On the other hand, "perfect sound forever" on CD players was found later to be susceptible to jitter, something that didn't exist before CDs and digital technology, so who knows?

because of jitter you have error correction techniques.

but this is irrelevant as i said before that you copy audio from cd to flac uncompressed and flac level 5 and you bit compare the two flac files to see that they are identical and then you use the abx test on the madflac which does bit decoding

therefore the audio quality would be the same

May 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #9,390 of 103,421
Not arguing the point, just pointing out some people do think there is a sonic difference. Early on, people accused "golder ears" of hallucinating the difference between digital and analog, since no one knew what to measure to show the sonic difference-the measurements used up to that time "proved" digital sounded better, and jitter wasn't yet delineated. In New York, some people heard a loss of sound quality after a renovation, and were ridiculed again for years, until someone found a layer of concrete had been left by the renovators. Again, not saying I know this to be true, and people can convince themselves they perceive things because they believe it to be true (placebo effect does exist). I am saying, though, is that the ear is a very sensitive instrument, and it has been known to perceive things that "objective measurements" don't find, generally because we don't always know how to measure everything that relates to this complex perception.
I actually like FLAC, convert to it a lot, would be disappointed to learn WAV is better (though, as long as one enjoys what he is listening to, shouldn't matter if someone else hears it differently).
Enough rambling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back