The discovery thread!
May 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #9,361 of 103,405
My ckn70's arrived yesterday. 

Initial impression (after about 10 hours of use) is pretty good. Bass is a little bloated to my taste and I do understand what everybody means with the treble being hot, I love my Grado's but damn these Audio-Technica is a bit too much. I usually don't care much for burn in but reading about the HUGE amount of time people are giving these I'm willing to give them more time. 

May 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #9,362 of 103,405
Hello, how many hours do you have on them? What do you use to burn them?
Mine still have those harsh highs hahaha
And do you or dont you wear the stock tips?

I use bass drive at a pretty high volume, I run it through my DAC. As for hours I'm not sure. Probably around 200. I love the stock tips, but if you want the highs to be a little easier on the ears until its burned in the Sony tips are pretty good. A few people like how the Sony tips sound better than the stock tips, I like the stock ones the best.

May 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,366 of 103,405
I am very interested in your impressions of your choices vs. the Yamaha EPH100. I love my Yammys and my R50s, but I could do with a bit more soundstage. Not sure a $75 IEM will get you there though, but do put out a comparision for science anyways.

Yeah I'm interested to see if they will be an improvement to my Yamaha EPH100 as well.

He just messaged me asking how many of you guys will be wanting the Carbo Tenore.

May 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9,367 of 103,405
OK, I bit for the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore phones. Used White Rabbit Japan, $66.75 to US. I'll let people know if it takes forever to arrive, any problems with the condition, etc. Gee, haven't bought headphones in at least a month...having withdrawal 
k701smile.gif

May 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #9,368 of 103,405
I should see the H-200 Monday or Tuesday, and I should have an ASG-2 perhaps as the end of the week for full review. I already know the Aurisonics sounds fantastic, but full reviews are forthcoming.

May 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #9,369 of 103,405
I did a bunch of listening today with IEM's which included:
All the JVC FXD series, Sony XBA-30 and 40, AT CKN50, Martin Logan Mikros 70, Sony XB90EX, Sony MDR7550, Hisound PAA-1 and the Zero Audio Carbo Basso. At the end of the day, the Carbo Basso ranked quite high amongst those. Quite a nice find if going by price.

May 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #9,370 of 103,405
Quote:
I did a bunch of listening today with IEM's which included:
All the JVC FXD series, Sony XBA-30 and 40, AT CKN50, Martin Logan Mikros 70, Sony XB90EX, Sony MDR7550, Hisound PAA-1 and the Zero Audio Carbo Basso. At the end of the day, the Carbo Basso ranked quite high amongst those. Quite a nice find if going by price.

I can't wait for my Carbo Basso to arrive! I hope it can hold its own against my Sony XBA-3. How would you rank it against your XBA30 Danny?

May 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #9,371 of 103,405
I think the treble is smoother and is easier to listen to. It has one of the nicest treble I've heard in an earphone. Vocals are also very good but not as forward. Still it does very well. The bass is the biggest difference. The Carbo Basso is bigger and badder. I honestly can't decide if I liked the XBA-30's more or not and its always been one of my faves. I think the CB's might be more of an all rounder. Technically, the 30's probably have the edge but for just an enjoying listen for the day, I might go with the CB.

May 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #9,372 of 103,405
Quote:
I think the treble is smoother and is easier to listen to. It has one of the nicest treble I've heard in an earphone. Vocals are also very good but not as forward. Still it does very well. The bass is the biggest difference. The Carbo Basso is bigger and badder. I honestly can't decide if I liked the XBA-30's more or not and its always been one of my faves. I think the CB's might be more of an all rounder. Technically, the 30's probably have the edge but for just an enjoying listen for the day, I might go with the CB.

how about against the RE400? (maybe not considering the low end...)

May 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #9,373 of 103,405
Quote:
I should see the H-200 Monday or Tuesday, and I should have an ASG-2 perhaps as the end of the week for full review. I already know the Aurisonics sounds fantastic, but full reviews are forthcoming.

Yeah, I ordered the H-200's today, and hope to save some cash for the ASG-2's.
And have the Carbo Basso's coming.

Time to give the wallet a break.

May 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #9,374 of 103,405
RE400's are way better balanced but the treble sort of bothers me at times. I've never had this issue with any other Hifiman. I still find the RE272 to be king of treble. I find the CB to be more enjoyable listen over the RE400 but for someone that likes a flatter response should choose the RE400. The CB is emphasized but still sounds quite balanced to me. I think the low end of the RE400 is done very well though for a Hifiman.

May 6, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #9,375 of 103,405
OK, I bit for the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore phones. Used White Rabbit Japan, $66.75 to US. I'll let people know if it takes forever to arrive, any problems with the condition, etc. Gee, haven't bought headphones in at least a month...having withdrawal :k701smile:

I was gonna go for that option too, but decided to wait and see what my eBay mate could do.

Now he will send me brand new Carbo Tenore for $75 including EMS shipping. Which is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back