The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #9,046 of 100,437
Guys, need some help regarding IEMs and headphones. I figured I'd ask here since this thread has some of the finest tuned ears on the whole of Head-Fi 
biggrin.gif

Headphones:

[size=small] Budget - £150 GBP ($230 USD)[/size]

[size=small] Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card[/size]

[size=small] Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible[/size]

[size=small] Type - Full-size circumaural headphones[/size]

[size=small] Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop, kpop as well[/size]

[size=small] Uses - 80% music, 20% games (FPS, RTS)[/size]

[size=small] Priorities (Highest to lowest) - Sound/comfort (Must be comfortable for hours of use on my big head and ears as well as glasses and not clamp my jaw), isolation, portability[/size]

[size=small] Previously tried - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (Slightly clampy and sounded distant but earcups are most comfortable I've ever tried) & M-Audio Q40 (Less distant sounding than DT770s but clamp was awful for me on my jaw even after stretching)[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] IEMs:[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

Budget - £75 GBP ($116 USD)

Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card and Nexus 4 mobile phone

Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible

Type - In-ear monitors

Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop, kpop as well

Uses - 100% music

Previously tried - CKN70s (Loved the sound but the J-cord is awful) and JVC FX101s (Pretty good for what they cost but want an upgrade)

Thanks

[size=small]  [/size]

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #9,047 of 100,437
Quote:
Yes, directly out of Hifimediy - it's a lot more powerful than ODAC.

oh okay; the hifimediy drops 1 vrms straight to a headphone (what its rated as anyway);  I wonder what the odac drops to when feeding straight to the headphone.  

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #9,048 of 100,437
Quote:
Guys, need some help regarding IEMs and headphones. I figured I'd ask here since this thread has some of the finest tuned ears on the whole of Head-Fi 
biggrin.gif

Headphones:

[size=small] Budget - £150 GBP ($230 USD)[/size]

[size=small] Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card[/size]

[size=small] Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible[/size]

[size=small] Type - Full-size circumaural headphones[/size]

[size=small] Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop, kpop as well[/size]

[size=small] Uses - 80% music, 20% games (FPS, RTS)[/size]

[size=small] Priorities (Highest to lowest) - Sound/comfort (Must be comfortable for hours of use on my big head and ears as well as glasses), isolation, portability[/size]

[size=small] Previously tried - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (Slightly clampy and sounded distant but earcups are most comfortable I've ever tried) & M-Audio Q40 (Less distant sounding than DT770s but clamp was awful for me on my jaw even after stretching)[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] IEMs:[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

Budget - £75 GBP ($116 USD)

Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card and Nexus 4 mobile phone

Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible

Type - In-ear monitors

Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop, kpop as well

Uses - 100% music

Previously tried - CKN70s (Loved the sound but the J-cord is awful) and JVC FX101s (Pretty good for what they cost but want an upgrade)

[size=small]  [/size]

JVC HA-S400 or HA-S500 with HM5 pads to convert them to around-the-ear, can't feel them at all.
Use the savings to buy a decent IEM, e.g. Vsonic GR07 Bass edition

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #9,049 of 100,437
How are the earcups in terms of size though? I have like really long ears (Example being I used the DT770 Pros, which have huge cups, and the bottom of my earlobe was sticking out, not by a lot, but still. Annoys me greatly but not a lot I can do)

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #9,050 of 100,437
Quote:
How are the earcups in terms of size though? I have like really long ears (Example being I used the DT770 Pros, which have huge cups, and the bottom of my earlobe was sticking out, not by a lot, but still. Annoys me greatly but not a lot I can do)

HM5 pads are enormous, don't think there is anything bigger.
I have big ears too, and they fit with a space to spare.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9,051 of 100,437
Quote:
JVC HA-S400 or HA-S500 with HM5 pads to convert them to around-the-ear, can't feel them at all.
Use the savings to buy a decent IEM, e.g. Vsonic GR07 Bass edition

Good advice. I had recommended the WS99's to Mackem, but apparently he has freakishly big ears
wink.gif
so they would probably not work. But the S500 + HM5 pads would be perfect.

And yes, the GR07BE's would be great, as would the CKS1000's (my personal favorite).

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #9,053 of 100,437
Quote:
Thanks guys. Which is better out of the S400/S500 for my music choices? Also, are the HM5 pads the only ones that fit?

Where do I buy these HM5 pads within Europe?

^ If you love the CKN70s so much, the S500s hands down.

You listen to kpop??? ahahahahahahahaha

Korean Hip Hop is the sh!T!!! <333s

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #9,054 of 100,437
Some thoughts on the Zero Audio DX210-CB:

Ds had me checking out this IEM months ago but neither of us took the plunge because we were busy buying AT stuff at the time but curiosity always remained.  I wanted to purchase the WS77 recently so Ds had me order the DX210-CB also to save on shipping charges.  Of course I had to order a pair myself since he's never let me down yet.  With that out of the way, I'll let Ds write the impressions when he gets his pair but I'll go ahead and start the hype with this short preview.  

These only have an overnight burn-in and could not hear any difference in sound from open box.

Build and accessories:  Housing seems solid and very light aluminum.  It is bullet shaped and fits comfortably.  There is some driver flex.  The strain reliefs exit at a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the housing so these can be worn over-ear if need be.  The cable is thin and smooth but doesn't seem like it will take much abuse.  L-shaped plug.  Comes with a soft cloth bag and 3 sizes of narrow bore tips.  Simple.

Sound:  Bass hits deep and hard when it's in the music.  Sounds excellent with EDM but also did well with faster metal music.  What I like about this bass is that while it reaches deep, it is very punchy with music that doesn't extend that deep.  While EDM brings this bass to the forefront, with other genres, it stays put and blends nicely with the rest of the music.  I was expecting this to be a basshead earphone so this was a nice surprise.  Midrange and vocals are forward but it's never too forward.  Male and female vocals sound good.  There's a good mix of lower notes and upper range to do well with either gender.  Even with vocal electronica, the bass gets big, but it doesn't really hinder the vocals.  Treble is very smooth and not even a hint of harshness.  Treble heads might be left wanting more but doesn't lack by any means.  So far this earphone might sound a little dark or even slow but it actually keeps pace quite well with faster music and can sound very lively.  Soundstage is actually quite big.  It has good amount of width and depth.  This earphone does not even come close to sounding closed in.  

I would classify this as a bass earphone but has good balance to do well with all genres.  I haven't tried classical or jazz yet but everything else has sounded excellent.  I would think this earphone is a close competitor to the MH1C but with bigger stage and slightly better balance and less annoying cable.  

Let's see how close or off I am after Ds listens to his pair early next week but I am quite impressed by it and glad he convinced me to try it out.  I believe it goes for around $45 US without the Tenso fees so I would say this is a very good buy and worthy of a discovery.  

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #9,056 of 100,437
Quote:
Bully 
frown.gif

Do the HM5 pads fit the S500s without any modifications i.e. is it just a straight swap? Are there any velour pads that would be good for my big ears haha?

^ you will need the O Ringathings from ebay or your local hardware store to hold the HM5 pads in place here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/4290#post_9044848

@Danny
Thanks for the impressions!!! Looking forward to Ds take, i meant to say hype. : P
beerchug.gif

edit: nah wasn't picking on you kpop is my guilty pleasure as well, mostly visual though.
biggrin.gif
devil_face.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #9,057 of 100,437
Quote:
^ you will need the O Ringathings from ebay or your local hardware store to hold the HM5 pads in place here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/4290#post_9044848

@Danny
Thanks for the impressions!!! Looking forward to Ds take, i meant to say hype. : P
beerchug.gif

edit: nah wasn't picking on you kpop is my guilty pleasure as well, mostly visual though.
biggrin.gif
devil_face.gif

There's not even any hardware stores round near me that would sell these things (Guess I'll have to look online but any help would be appreciated). I've also read some people say that they have small heads but had to extend the S500s all the way to get them to fit, so God knows what they'll be like on my huge noggin (Had the M-Audio Q40s extended to 4 and a bit on each side)

I know what you mean about the, ahem, 'visual' side of kpop 
biggrin.gif
 Saw a live performance of a song and there's tight white tops and nipples poking through them 
eek.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #9,058 of 100,437
Quote:
Bully 
frown.gif

Do the HM5 pads fit the S500s without any modifications i.e. is it just a straight swap? Are there any velour pads that would be good for my big ears haha?

Or you can try HM5 itself, but rebranded as Jaycar Pro Monitor for 35 pounds shipped to UK. The clamp is tight, but will loose after some stretching and get very comfy. 

looks interesting.  never seen one like that before.  

whats pre-build? like before the production model?

It is already assembled DIY like cmoy.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #9,059 of 100,437
Quote:
There's not even any hardware stores round near me that would sell these things (Guess I'll have to look online but any help would be appreciated). I've also read some people say that they have small heads but had to extend the S500s all the way to get them to fit, so God knows what they'll be like on my huge noggin (Had the M-Audio Q40s extended to 4 and a bit on each side)

I know what you mean about the, ahem, 'visual' side of kpop 
biggrin.gif
 Saw a live performance of a song and there's tight white tops and nipples poking through them 
eek.gif

LMAO way to keep it discreet sheeeesh!!!

deadhorse.gif

Everything you need to look for should be in that link, more expensive from ebay due to the shipping, but still not too bad.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #9,060 of 100,437
Quote:
LMAO way to keep it discreet sheeeesh!!!

deadhorse.gif

Everything you need to look for should be in that link, more expensive from ebay due to the shipping, but still not too bad.

Can't find them on eBay UK. Didn't want to order from the US but might have to. Not too sure where I can get the HM5 pads from either? 

Are there any spacious velours that fit these S500s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back