The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #9,032 of 100,463
Quote:

its the same amp thats used in the hifiman hm101 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IvDT93Ry3Sl/p_818HM101/HiFiMAN-HM-101.html#details-tab

so its not the best but its not the worst...wouldnt expect miracles out of it but for under a 5 buck increase in price...why not?

SQ down compared to what?  

if they fixed the channels being reversed in the el dac 2, have a decent amp for under 5 bucks increase... it's a pretty good budget on the go package to use.  dac/amp in a small package like that to use with your laptop seems pretty tempting; especially if you get it for 18 bucks if they accept the offer.

It may not be the worst, but Hifimediy is a night and day difference compared to ELE. Not even close.
SQ down compared to what?  -  ELE without amp and ELE with amp.
And don't forget, some of that 3.40$ went for the buttons and more work on the case.

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #9,033 of 100,463
Quote:

It may not be the worst, but Hifimediy is a night and day difference compared to ELE. Not even close.
SQ down compared to what?  -  ELE without amp and ELE with amp.
And don't forget, some of that 3.40$ went for the buttons and more work on the case.

the el dac 2 has a headphone out and a line out.  so if at worst the amp sucks...just use the line out. 

while i havent heard the hifimediy.... i have the ud100 which i think is quite comparable to each other.  yeah the ud100 was better than this other dac i have the muse dac.  its basically the el dac with 2 extra outs via coaxial and spdif via optical out.  got that one for 17.  For most people; any dac will be a upgrade to onboard sound on computers.  

the price you pay for the el-dac 2; is stellar.  if the amp works fine...which i think and hope it will; it will be an awesome budget upgrade for iems and low impedence cans.  its a 3 dollar gamble that i think most people would take.  we'll know soon enough when it comes in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSE-HiFi-PCM2704-USB-to-S-PDIF-Converter-DAC-Sound-Card-Black-Silver-/261184542392?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3ccfcfd6b8

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #9,034 of 100,463
Quote:

the el dac 2 has a headphone out and a line out.  so if at worst the amp sucks...just use the line out. 

while i havent heard the hifimediy.... i have the ud100 which i think is quite comparable to each other.  yeah the ud100 was better than this other dac i have the muse dac.  its basically the el dac with 2 extra outs via coaxial and spdif via optical out.  got that one for 17.  For most people; any dac will be a upgrade to onboard sound on computers.  

And sometimes is downgrade, for example I have tried PCM2704 DIY DAC and for me it was actually a downgrade from my Elitebook onboard sound. It was brighter and with less bass. 

@BenF

I saw you have Hifimediy and ODAC, is there an audible difference between the two?

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #9,035 of 100,463
Quote:

And sometimes is downgrade, for example I have tried PCM2704 DIY DAC and for me it was actually a downgrade from my Elitebook onboard sound. It was brighter and with less bass. 

thats why i put "for most people"....I didnt say all.  

Did you build it yourself or did someone else build it?

it just got in:  channels are NOT reversed.  amp section is fine...kind of kew that when i adjust volume the "hotkey" volume indicator pops up on my screen.  There is a slight hiss in the background but nothing i havent heard before from other amps (tried it with my cheapo monoprice iems).  Used foobar with some flacs; didnt notice any hiss while music was playing.  volume adjustment could be better in that there is significant changes in volume with each press.  The steps between volume changes could be smaller but i dont expect much from the dac/amp.  it is lighter and smaller than the muse dac.  metal for the casing is thinner.  but for 18 bucks shipped.... i feel like its a good super budget upgrade.  

compared to the ud100... both are lacking.  yet at the price of under 20 shipped for either one is a good buy.  

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #9,037 of 100,463
Quote:

the price you pay for the el-dac 2; is stellar.  if the amp works fine...which i think and hope it will; it will be an awesome budget upgrade for iems and low impedence cans.  its a 3 dollar gamble that i think most people would take.  we'll know soon enough when it comes in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSE-HiFi-PCM2704-USB-to-S-PDIF-Converter-DAC-Sound-Card-Black-Silver-/261184542392?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3ccfcfd6b8

UD100 is still 16/48, and lacks any shielding/protection of the circuit.
Considering the extra work and components that went into ELE DAC 2 for just 3.40$, I expect it to have even more quality issues than the original - nothing is free. And the original was a huge disappointment for me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #9,038 of 100,463
Quote:

@BenF

I saw you have Hifimediy and ODAC, is there an audible difference between the two?

For almost 4X difference in price, I couldn't hear any significant differences.
Hifimediy does have a more powerful output - drives HE-400 without any issues.
ODAC is 8-9DBs quieter.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #9,039 of 100,463
Quote:
Since the cats out of the bag.

we´re waiting Danny 
popcorn.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #9,040 of 100,463
Quote:
UD100 is still 16/48, and lacks any shielding/protection of the circuit.
Considering the extra work and components that went into ELE DAC 2 for just 3.40$, I expect it to have even more quality issues than the original - nothing is free. And the original was a huge disappointment for me.

thats why i put it that fancy schmancy little usb reader case in the picture above.

and i would have went for the hifimediy...but it doesnt play well with android.  so the ud100 was the choice for me.

i never tried the el dac... but the el dac 2 that just came in works with my super quick 10 min impression.  it didnt have the problem of the channels being reversed so thats a plus.  

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #9,041 of 100,463
Quote:

For almost 4X difference in price, I couldn't hear any significant differences.
Hifimediy does have a more powerful output - drives HE-400 without any issues.
ODAC is 8-9DBs quieter.

driving the he400 straight from the dac?

because connected to an amp.... both the hifimediy and odac has a 2vrms output.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #9,042 of 100,463
Quote:
Quote:
I'm downloading it now. Be a man and download it in WAV :wink:

Quote:
I know, but when the data is being pulled off of a CD it sounds better than being pulled from a file. It's like it's more full or something. I know they're the same, that's why all my files are FLAC and not WAV xD

???   ....contradicting to say the least.
biggrin.gif

I believe you, 7S Cameron.  Once, I ripped a CD to FLAC 16/44.1 and to WAV (or WAVE?) 16/44.1.  The WAV files sounded fuller than the FLAC files with basic computer hardware and software.  The difference was small, though.  I would not dare to go for a blind test on that difference, without and A/B button.  But, my perception with all tracks compared is that the WAV files sounded marginally better than the FLAC files.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9,043 of 100,463
Quote:

thats why i put "for most people"....I didnt say all.  

Did you build it yourself or did someone else build it?

It was a pre-build DAC I borrowed from a friend to test it.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #9,044 of 100,463
Quote:

It was a pre-build DAC I borrowed from a friend to test it.

looks interesting.  never seen one like that before.  

whats pre-build? like before the production model?

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #9,045 of 100,463
Quote:

driving the he400 straight from the dac?

because connected to an amp.... both the hifimediy and odac has a 2vrms output.

Yes, directly out of Hifimediy - it's a lot more powerful than ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back