The discovery thread!
Feb 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #7,396 of 100,463
anyone here tried the Takstar Pro 80 or HI2050? There is a thread about them and they seems to be promising.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #7,397 of 100,463
Ds, so sorry to hear about your situation...I figured you were able to do all that listening because you were able to use work time, but didn't realize it was that bad (figuring maybe the job related to audio somehow). Having been through a work slowdown years back (during which I was able to catalog my 5,000-at the time-LP/CD collection), now I have a sense of what the days are like (heads did roll where I worked, fortunately for me I was spared the chopping block). I have to echo the above sentiments. Your enthusiasm made this stuff fun (what's the point otherwise), and I appreciated that you took the time to PM when appropriate with help or encouragement. Hoping you land on your feet, the thread won't be the same without your frequent input. All the best.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #7,398 of 100,463
Anyone know if the Sennheiser Double Flange tips are as wide bore as stock JVC tips (FX40 for example)? Looking at pics they seem to be but hard to tell. 

Still searching for tips that isolate well (other than stock memory foam) and don't negatively affect SQ. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7,400 of 100,463
Quote:
Quote:
Had to change my avatar in honor of Ds.  
biggrin.gif

Oh boy !   ...now I feel guilty for making him "walk the plank" earlier !    ...if only I had knew about his situation,  ... wouldn't have start all that pirate folly which in retrospect seems so insensitive. redfaced apologies, bro Dsnut.

Changing my Avatar to "please forgive me" in honor too, in addition, will withhold posting reviews of the CKN70 for the next few days as well.

I never saw this as an antagonistic move.  I did not care much about it, but I followed along and asked cute and others to do so, just to be supportive.  I have even kept my pirate avatar after the pirate week was over because I liked how the look of it turned out.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #7,401 of 100,463
Ds,

Best of luck with all of your endeavors. Please remember we'll always be here no matter how much be spat about leavign this place. There is always home for an additional memeber.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #7,402 of 100,463
That's bummer to hear DS. Hope everything turns out fine for you. You'll be sorely missed that's for sure. Your thread on the monoprice got me spending money on hps & iems again. Before that, I was settling on ~$20 skullcandy and being fine with them but no more! Quickly fell down that rabbit hole quickly hopping up the ladder, monoprice, 3580s, JVC X1X, MH1-Cs, eledac... Definitely enjoyed your recommendations and impressions while holding my credit card in hand. Thanks a lot and of course, wallet( and wife) hates you. :wink:

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #7,403 of 100,463
I appreciate the kind words of encouragement from all you guys..I will not be dead to headfi but will be more of an observer and I will lend a hand when I can.. Will try to chime in when time allows. I will let you guys know how I am doing from time to time but for the most par

Part Deux. Somic EFI-82MTs using Shure Pads minus stock sound dampening..The clarity has in deed improved greatly. I think perhaps the stock dampening has more to do with limiting the sound more so than any other factor here. It is like a big veil has been removed from the overall sound..Just this alone has made a big difference in treble and vocal clarity..

The overall sound is not as flat as it was before and the highs now have much better presence..I can now understand why Cash was so excited to hear these with his tunes with this configuration..It brings what was an average headphone sound to an outstanding value in sound. The presentation is still more monitor like more than the immersive nature of higher end cans but now it has a much better balance. The dual sound dampening was making the mid bass go all over the place and taking the stock one out just about solves the looseness of the mid bass..The lower regions needs better tonal control and tightness but for what is there it is now much more cohesive with the rest of the sound signature.

The highs have come alive with much more energy and presence..Much more micro details can be heard.  But at the same time the lack of depth of the highs are still a part of the sound. Vocals have much more energy and resolve using this combo..But all is not perfect. Now I am detecting a bit of an unbalanced mid section. The higher mids are much more pronounced and what seems to be more detail in the upper regions now overshadows the lower mids more so. The lower regions while being much more tame still does not have the perfect pitch tightness of the more refined cans.

But overall I will say. This sound in this configuration beats out all the previous budget fi headphones I have heard easily...For some reason the sound engineers thought using the stock pad and stock sound dampening will bring out the best sound from these drivers and it took our own Cash to figure out that this is not so..Cash's simple Shure pad replacement and taking out the stock sound dampening truly makes these cans much better in every way. For me just doing this the sound value alone has easily doubled. And just as I finish typing this. I get my CKN70s.

Will have some impressions up soon.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #7,405 of 100,463
Quote:
The overall sound is not as flat as it was before and the highs now have much better presence..I can now understand why Cash was so excited to hear these with his tunes with this configuration..It brings what was an average headphone sound to an outstanding value in sound. The presentation is still more monitor like more than the immersive nature of higher end cans but now it has a much better balance. The dual sound dampening was making the mid bass go all over the place and taking the stock one out just about solves the looseness of the mid bass. The lower regions needs better tonal control and tightness but for what is there it is now much more cohesive with the rest of the sound signature.

You're totally dead on the money here.

Maybe they'd benefit from being opened up all the way.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #7,406 of 100,463
Quote:
Anyone know if the Sennheiser Double Flange tips are as wide bore as stock JVC tips (FX40 for example)? Looking at pics they seem to be but hard to tell. 

Still searching for tips that isolate well (other than stock memory foam) and don't negatively affect SQ. 

Yes they are. I ordered some from this vendor that had this pic on ebay. I am using them on my new CKN70s.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #7,409 of 100,463
Stock AT tips are like every other AT tip. Kinda stiff silicone style. The Sennheiser double flange tips are much softer and also has the wider bore. I ordered 3 pairs of extra large from the vendor on ebay and I am using all 3 pairs. A pair on my CKS1000, CKN50 and also on my CKN70.

I want to burn in the CKN70 for the day and hear them a bit later..Will post some thoughts on them real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back