The discovery thread!
Feb 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7,246 of 103,250
I don't have my CKS77 with me at the moment but as you know the solid bass series earphones are known for their strong bass that goes very deep. I would say both are about equal in the sub bass region and how deep they go but it is the mid bass that is more manageable and grown up on the CKS1000.. The overall control of the sounds including bass is on a nice high end level on the CKS1000..If your wondering if something like the CKS1000 is worth the price increase over the older CKS77. Absolutely without a doubt in my mind it is worth the price increase.

These are not just a simple upgrade from the CKS77 it is on a different level of sound all together.. No worries about the bass end on the CKS1000. Everything on them are higher resolution including the bass. It has the better tuning over the older CKS earphones and has the newest version of their air chamber tech. Double dampening with double chambers= outstanding deep full sound.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #7,247 of 103,250
Here is a review on those Incase pivots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmCdC8dZPY

The reviewer only spent about 15 seconds on their sound quality.  He said he was not impressed, because they lacked bass to his liking, even though they had good mids and highs.

Looking at their design, I know that those headphones are gonna have boxy sound.  I listened a few months ago to a pair of headphones that had a very similar look and design.  Sound quality was good all over the FR.  But, they had boxy, cave like sound.  That ruined it for me.

That is the reason I started looking at IEMs, being a bass lover.  They have not disappointed me as far as being free from boxy sound is concerned.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #7,248 of 103,250
Quote:
Oh another thing. Ericp, I would take some rubbing alcohol and some cloth and wipe your CKS1000 cord. You will get a dark residue which seems to be an oil type residue that was left over from the manufacturing process. I did this last night and was surprised how dirty the cord was. So you was right about the smell being on there. It is like a oil that is on the cord.

Thanks. Will do! I think you also overlook the kid brother too much, Dsnuts. The FXZ100 is just as capable as the FXZ200 with its bass and mids, but I am finding I'm enjoying the CKS1000 more (and I've never really been a huge ATH fan. This CKS1000, however is something special, and has a really nice full headphone sound that reminds me of Aurisonics universals, but with a little something extra base on the sound chambers it uses. I can't quite put my finger on what it is yet about the chambers, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it!

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #7,254 of 103,250
So I have my Meridian Explorer using my AD900X. Oh man. I have not heard instrument separation quite like this dac. Vocals have so much texture.. I can sense these need a break in as the top end is a bit on the bright side but I read a report that this goes away with some use..My Fire Phoenix has now been out classed.

Lol I had a funny thought. I bet this DAC will make a crappy headphone sound like heaven's gates has opened up.

Oh man I ain't gonna lie this thing sounds awesome. Stupid high end sounding to my ears..

On a side note I decided to cancel the NFB15.32 for this Meridian Explorer instead. I definitely made the right choice.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #7,255 of 103,250
Quote:
So I have my Meridian Explorer using my AD900X. Oh man. I have not heard instrument separation quite like this dac. Vocals have so much texture.. I can sense these need a break in as the top end is a bit on the bright side but I read a report that this goes away with some use..My Fire Phoenix has now been out classed.

Lol I had a funny thought. I bet this DAC will make a crappy headphone sound like heaven's gates has opened up.

Oh man I ain't gonna lie this thing sounds awesome. Stupid high end sounding to my ears..

On a side note I decided to cancel the NFB15.32 for this Meridian Explorer instead. I definitely made the right choice.

As expected!
biggrin.gif

Do you have the Hifimediy Sabre DAC? Is so, how does it compare? Are you using a amp with it or just straight out of the Explorer?

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #7,256 of 103,250
Quote:

Dam you Dsnuts! My wallet screams....

Actually been looking for the perfect work Dac/Amp, will follow your observations on this one.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #7,257 of 103,250
Hifimediy sabre dac is outclassed by this thing in every part of the spectrum. Not only that this thing puts my best source being my Fire Phoenix in it's place as well. Dual op amps and all.. I am just plugged into the unit through the headphone jack..The sound has a high end sheen to it..The clarity is tops for anything I have ever heard.. Instrument separation is one thing but the texture in vocals is another. Bass is very tight and is absolutely articulate in what the lower registers portray.

I love the unique sound of all my sources and daps but nothing I have up till this point quite sounds like this.. So you get what you pay for and then some with this unit. I remember reading on the Meridian thread about a guy that works with high end dac/ amps and he was saying how this unit is easily comparable to the dacs in the four digits in sound. I can't argue with this from what I am hearing. I simply cant take off my AD900X which has never sounded as alive as I am hearing them using this Meridian Explorer. The transparency and decay of instruments and vocals is the best I have ever heard on anything..

I went into this purchase hoping I will get a nice high end sound from this unit. And I feel I got more than that. This sound I am hearing is simply sublime. I can't stop listening to my collection right now. I feel like I have rediscovered all my music again..

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #7,258 of 103,250
Quote:

Dam you Dsnuts! My wallet screams....

Actually been looking for the perfect work Dac/Amp, will follow your observations on this one.

Get to selling..Lol. Wait till you hear these with your AD900X!! Seriously. It will make the hairs on the back of your head stand on end. The synergy is on a level I was not prepared for using the Meridian Explorer. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7,260 of 103,250
Well you gotta be realistic. I know the Hifimediy is an excellent unit for the cost. I mean I can't think of anything really better than that as a DAC at that price... The Meridian Explorer is using a bunch of new tech in it and is 6X the cost. So it better have a higher end sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back