The discovery thread!
Jan 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #6,332 of 100,525
Well, I don't know about dithering - it's pretty much useless for anything aside from downsampling. It's pretty much adding background noise. It is useful in something like the Neutron music player on Android coz the player processes audio in 32 or 64-bits but the output is only 16-bit in android due to the kernel limitations. Dithering won't do anything for a normal CD 

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #6,333 of 100,525
Quote:
Now is not the time to be weak willed, just cuz he has been granted with new powers. We are in the midst a mutiny here!!! Arrrrrrrrr

@WAYNE welcome aboard!

@cute you are selling your S500s???  T_T

@Ds
Congrats!!!

That was a mistake in the for sale listing, it was the S400's!

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,334 of 100,525
Quote:
Well, I don't know about dithering - it's pretty much useless for anything aside from downsampling. It's pretty much adding background noise. It is useful in something like the Neutron music player on Android coz the player processes audio in 32 or 64-bits but the output is only 16-bit in android due to the kernel limitations. Dithering won't do anything for a normal CD 

Dithering is not for downsampling as I understand it, from what the "authority" described.  It does not add noise, it reduces noise, and smooths the sound in the processing in this case.  In my application in jRiver Media Center software, I use resampling to 88.2, and my MF V-link accepts the 24bit bitdepth.  So in my case it processes the bits above 16, and outputs to my V-link in dithered 24bit bitdepth.  Others with the new jRiver Media Center 18, that has 8bit, 16bit, and 24bit dithering capability, including myself can hear the difference.  I am talking about Windows 7 on my PC, not an Android, so I can't speak to your device.  MC 18 for PC is where it would apply!  I would be open to your authority on the subject, maybe I can learn more to fully understand from you!  I am not an authority, just a user that likes what it does for my gears!

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6,336 of 100,525
Quote:
Looks like the MP8320 has been modified to the new MP9927

New rubberized black version, 3 sizes of tips included..Interesting. Just ordered a pair. $7.57 club anyone?

Lets trade again!!!  Wanna make sure my impressions of your flawless burn-in process is in fact consistent.
wink_face.gif

You know you want the pair that i won from you back!
biggrin.gif

They kinda look even more funky in black but matted/ rugged is always nice.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #6,337 of 100,525
I ordered one. The old MP8320 was their number one selling earphone..The power of suggestion. Lol. They seem to have improved it. Supposedly the rubberized finish gives a tighter seal in the ear giving even a better clear sound. I hope they tweeked the tuning a bit too. We will see. I still have my original reviewed pair and I will be able to tell right away if it is an improvement.

Lol. I forgot how cheap these things are. The cost is $7.57 at Monoprice.com. Given how popular the MP8320 was I think these initial phones will sell out quick.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6,338 of 100,525
Quote:

That was a mistake in the for sale listing, it was the S400's!

Oh thank god, almost had a heart attack. haha Cuz if you are gonna sell off your modded S500s for that cheap give me a PM 1st! LoL

edit: @Ds
But don't you have to give it like 10000000000000000000000 hours of burn-in before you can do a "proper" A/B? You're not doing them justice if so. : P

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6,341 of 100,525
Quote:

Dithering is not for downsampling as I understand it, from what the "authority" described.  It does not add noise, it reduces noise, and smooths the sound in the processing in this case.  In my application in jRiver Media Center software, I use upsampling to 88.2, and my MF V-link accepts the 24bit bitdepth.  So in my case it processes the bits above 16, and outputs to my V-link in dithered 24bit bitdepth.  Others with the new jRiver Media Center 18, that has 8bit, 16bit, and 24bit dithering capability, including myself can hear the difference.  I am talking about Windows 7 on my PC, not an Android, so I can't speak to your device.  MC 18 for PC is where it would apply!  I would be open to your authority on the subject, maybe I can learn more to fully understand from you!  I am not an authority, just a user that likes what it does for my gears!

I just gave an example with android but it's all the same for windows or anything else. Dithering in audio is adding a quiet noise to the input signal to reduce the quantization errors when reducing the resolution of the audio - like if you go from 24bit to 16bit or 8 for example. So dither is a randomly generated signal that is heard like a white noise. It's usually used when you mix or master audio because even if the audio may be 16bits most professional audio software processes sound in higher resolution like 24-bit or more. So if an input sound signal looks like that 
the quantization without dither looks like that

So you add dither to the input signal

And this is all done, so that in the end you can get something like that instead of what you get in the second "blocky" picture

And now the signal is closer to the original even though it has lower resolution - you have less quantization errors and not that compressed dynamic range. 
As far as just adding dither to audio - it's like just adding background noise. Now, if the audio software you're using is processing the signal in higher resolution then your DAC or sound card can output then you do have a benefit from adding dither. Of course, there are a lot of different opinions on the matter. I know some people believe that if you use software that processes the sound in a higher resolution not just for mastering use but for simple listening and use dither then you'll have an improved dynamic range, so if that's what that 24bit dithering you're using is doing you might find some supporters of that idea online.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #6,342 of 100,525
Quote:
I just gave an example with android but it's all the same for windows or anything else. Dithering in audio is adding a quiet noise to the input signal to reduce the quantization errors when reducing the resolution of the audio - like if you go from 24bit to 16bit or 8 for example. So dither is a randomly generated signal that is heard like a white noise. It's usually used when you mix or master audio because even if the audio may be 16bits most professional audio software processes sound in higher resolution like 24-bit or more. So if an input sound signal looks like that 

And this is all done, so that in the end you can get something like that instead of what you get in the second "blocky" picture

And now the signal is closer to the original even though it has lower resolution - you have less quantization errors and not that compressed dynamic range. 
As far as just adding dither to audio - it's like just adding background noise. Now, if the audio software you're using is processing the signal in higher resolution then your DAC or sound card can output then you do have a benefit from adding dither. Of course, there are a lot of different opinions on the matter. I know some people believe that if you use software that processes the sound in a higher resolution not just for mastering use but for simple listening and use dither then you'll have an improved dynamic range, so if that's what that 24bit dithering you're using is doing you might find some supporters of that idea online.

What you don't understand is that jRiver MC18 allows resampling of 16/44 to 24/88.2 or 24/96, and is output to my V-link at 24/88 or 24/96, so dithering in my application works.  It is not being applied as you state above.  You are assuming I am outputing in 16bit, but that is not the case.  Your explanation makes sense if your use is in 16bit bitdepth, so in your application you are probably right.  Here is a link that explains, from the "authority" what my use is:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76912.0

Thanks for your informative post!

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #6,343 of 100,525
Quote:
Lol @ DannyBai's new avatar pic.

@Master Troll. No silly only 500 hours.

Pheeeew that's good to hear.

Quote:

OK, just for you sf, a special price for modded S500........$250 buckaroonies, but just for you, master troll price!

What that's so cheap, don't sell yourself short cute. You and your S500s deserves better than that. 
rolleyes.gif
I might be a troll but ain't no fool, i'll throw you $50 and you gonna take it and like it! They're USED afterall. heeee

Quote:

^
blink.gif
hey it's charts yaaaaa! Crazy Rick loves this stuff, class is in session!

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6,344 of 100,525
Quote:

What you don't understand is that jRiver MC18 allows resampling of 16/44 to 24/88.2 or 24/96, and is output to my V-link at 24/88 or 24/96, so dithering in my application works.  It is not being applied as you state above.  You are assuming I am outputing in 16bit, but that is not the case.  Your explanation makes sense if your use is in 16bit bitdepth, so in your application you are probably right.  Here is a link that explains, from the "authority" what my use is:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76912.0

Thanks for your informative post!

I understand that but what you don't understand is the idea of the dither and what it is. From the link you're giving me it's pretty clear the guy is a sound engineer who is reducing the depth from 64 to 24bits - in that case dither is very useful - are your music files in 32 or 64-bit resolution? For me it would have been useful if the MC18 had a 32-bit engine or more coz dither is useful when the output resolution is lower. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back