The discovery thread!
Jan 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #6,316 of 100,498
Well, my ad900x's are happily on their way to tenso now :)

Quote:
Man, I've been listening to the AD900X for a couple of days now.  I actually thought they sounded great on open box but heard some graininess in some tunes.  It's 20 hours later and I actually don't heard the graininess on the same tunes.  It has refined nicely already.  I don't really hear any flaws so if it still gets better than this, I'll be smitten.  

The sound of this open headphone is stunning.  The airiness is the best I've heard.  The music surrounds your head, it's fantastic.  I have the HE500/400 sitting here and the Fidelio X1 too and I think these have the best stage of all of them.  

I think the best feature about this headphone, besides the stage is that all the ranges are even.  The bass is nice and tight and never spoils any other frequency.  Thankfully the bass is present since everything else I own would be considered to be bass enhanced compared to these.  I love the bass because it's so well controlled.  

Vocals sound so good too.  It is forward but not even close to being too forward.  Positioned correctly in my book.  I feel like I am listening to a live recording.  Amazing.  

Treble.  This part I was scared of since almost all AT earphones get too sibilant for me.  For instance, the new CKS1000 and CKN50 both I've heard still get somewhat strident but is much better than the older models and I can handle it.  More so on the CKS1000.  Well, these AD900X's don't even come close to sibilance but still keep that AT treble flowing beautifully.  

I've heard a lot of gear since I've been on Head-Fi and a piece of gear like this comes my way every once in awhile that just blows me away thankfully to some close friends I've met on here to recommend them to me.  This headphone is a pure bargain for the sound you get.  

Quote:

Should !!!   ...they deserve a separate thread from the AD2000X thread. Count me in as No 1 Fan.
biggrin.gif

I won't add anymore to what has already been said about them AD900X but I will just say this:

Off all the recommendations of audio gears you have given and I ultimately ended up buying, this has got to be the one I am MOST grateful for !!!

Granted not everybody will be getting one as it is not exactly in the cheapo price bracket but for what I've paid and what I'm getting in return, I truely thanks you for mentioning it during our little chat.
beerchug.gif

.... the problem is that there is now NO GOING BACK !
tongue_smile.gif

Danny and Ghost, your posts had nothing to do with pushing me over the edge lol! Dsnuts + the both of you = d a n g e r !!!

Quote:
1) Vocals on the AD is more forward.  HE500's sound more lush.  HE500's holds a thicker note all around.  Bass is fuller on the HE500 but AD's has more precise impact.  Treble region is somewhat similar sounding.  Can't tell you which one I prefer over the other.  AD's aren't as genre specific for me.  If it matters, I have to turn the volume knob double on the HE500's to match the AD's. 

I like how you describe the HE500's. Unfortunately, I won't be getting them any time soon (due to price), so the plan is for the ad900x's to tie me over for quite some time. I like how you mention that the AD's aren't as genre specific - that is cool. And I've received enough feedback to be pretty sure that bass will be sufficient for me. So looking forward to these beasts!

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,317 of 100,498
I have them on as I type..In a week or two worth of time we should find out if this was somehow all wrong to suggest the AD900X on the discovery thread. I hope the cans live up to that title.  I am as excited for you as you are my friend. I hope your first open can is gonna be all that and bag o tricks for you. So a new rule. You all gotta give us an impression of them when you get them. I think we deserve that..Be it good or bad..

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6,318 of 100,498
Tenso has had my AD900X for two days now, still haven't shipped, so it looks like next week.  I will have the Somic's on monday....will see if Cash is another Dsnuts!

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,319 of 100,498
Quote:
I have them on as I type..In a week or two worth of time we should find out if this was somehow all wrong to suggest the AD900X on the discovery thread. I hope the cans live up to that title.

Somehow I don't get the feeling that you are all that worried!

Quote:
I am as excited for you as you are my friend. I hope your first open can is gonna be all that and bag o tricks for you. So a new rule. You all gotta give us an impression of them when you get them. I think we deserve that..Be it good or bad..

Will do, although most likely only after the 100 hour burn-in. What makes this interesting for me is that the extent of my open-backed experience is 2 minutes at futureshop with the hd-558's. They sounded pretty good to me, so if the ad900x's sound as good (and I am pretty sure that they will), then I think that I'll be a happy camper :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #6,320 of 100,498
Quote:
Tenso has had my AD900X for two days now, still haven't shipped, so it looks like next week.  I will have the Somic's on monday....will see if Cash is another Dsnuts!

I forgot that you're getting them as well. Awesome! You will end up making them the best ad900x's on the planet lol!

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6,321 of 100,498
Awesome Wayne.  The AD's will surprise you me thinks.  Everyone needs a good pair of open headphones that sound this good.  

Uh oh, Ds is in the same company as Cleos and Joker.  I bow to you sir.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #6,322 of 100,498
Cute got my interest with that cable rewire with his claims of warmth and added bass. That sounds like an absolute perfect match for these cans. I tell you what cute. I know your gonna rewire these cans anyway but you will have to keep us updated on that particular cable. I hope you will be able to at least hear them out after burn in so you have a good basis for what the effects of them new cables will bring to the table for this sound..With something like a new cable it wouldn't surprise me if these cans end up being one of the all time greats. No joke. They already sound stupendous so if something like that only refines this sound. Geeze. Sign me up.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #6,323 of 100,498
Quote:
Awesome Wayne.  The AD's will surprise you me thinks.  Everyone needs a good pair of open headphones that sound this good.  

Ya that is surprising to me too actually. I don't think I am worthy to be among these guys but I look at it as a compliment. Thanks Amos.

I just noticed the (or AT) Hahahaha!

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,324 of 100,498
Quote:

Now is not the time to be weak willed, just cuz he has been granted with new powers. We are in the midst a mutiny here!!! Arrrrrrrrr

@WAYNE welcome aboard!

@cute you are selling your S500s???  T_T

@Ds
Congrats!!!

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6,326 of 100,498
Quote:
Got one on order from cdjapan for around 207$ (250$ shipping).
Hope that AD900x will blow my M50 away

Congrats on the purchase. Lets just say I highly doubt if you or anyone that gets these will be disappointed..Though there is bound to be a few that will hate but not on my watch..You guys will all love em.....................Or else. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #6,328 of 100,498
Quote:
I have them on as I type..In a week or two worth of time we should find out if this was somehow all wrong to suggest the AD900X on the discovery thread. I hope the cans live up to that title.  I am as excited for you as you are my friend. I hope your first open can is gonna be all that and bag o tricks for you. So a new rule. You all gotta give us an impression of them when you get them. I think we deserve that..Be it good or bad..

Egods, Ds avatar went from pirate to........wait a minute, Ds is really the president?  
angry_face.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #6,329 of 100,498
Little did you guys know I am actually masquerading as a headfier named Dsnuts. While I am busy at the oval office I like to hear my cans and post here at headfi.

By the way Beyonce up front is absolutely Beautiful. Can't let Michelle know that.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,330 of 100,498
Quote:
Cute got my interest with that cable rewire with his claims of warmth and added bass. That sounds like an absolute perfect match for these cans. I tell you what cute. I know your gonna rewire these cans anyway but you will have to keep us updated on that particular cable. I hope you will be able to at least hear them out after burn in so you have a good basis for what the effects of them new cables will bring to the table for this sound..With something like a new cable it wouldn't surprise me if these cans end up being one of the all time greats. No joke. They already sound stupendous so if something like that only refines this sound. Geeze. Sign me up.

Discovered a new feature in my jRiver Media Center 18 (the best media software out there)!  The feature is called 24bit dithering, basically if fills out the bits above 16bit on 16/44 cd.  Instead of truncating the bits above 16, it processes them in a different way.....it smooths out distortion, which results in a warmer sound with a quieter background.  The diferences are subtle, but if your gears are good enough, it squeezes out just that little bit extra refinement in the sound.  If anyone is interested, I can provide a link to an expert explanation from someone who is an "authority" on the subject.  Warning, "this is for those that are serious about music and their playback software".  Usially only us extreme fanantics really give a damn!

It is getting harder for me, to get that little bit extra, buy I keep trying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back