The discovery thread!
Nov 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,936 of 100,253
Quote:
Do you think that PCM2704 DACs are all the same?

Not all the same. It all depends on implementation of ic chips. The electronics that surround the chips for tuning and such. I am quite new to external dac/ amps myself but I did a lot of research. Then there are units that have built in amps..I decided to try this as I thought there is no way this is going to sound good. Wow was I wrong..

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4,938 of 100,253
Lol, someone re-discovered the ELE PCM2704 DAC? I did that a long time ago, there's some posts I made way back in my history. Yes, it's really good. Full recommendation.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #4,939 of 100,253
Quote:
Is there a volume control on it somewhere?
Edit - I never got to specify what color I want. I hope they don't send me a red one.

Just send the vendor a message on what color you want. I did on my order and they gave me the color I wanted. You have to use your volume on your computers.
Quote:
Lol, someone re-discovered the ELE PCM2704 DAC? I did that a long time ago, there's some posts I made way back in my history. Yes, it's really good. Full recommendation.

Nice.Ya I decided to try one out. Astounding. I had no idea something like this would have the sound it does. Shocking. I keep on trying different headphones and iems and it all sound great to me.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4,940 of 100,253
What's really great is that they power my ~100ohm Etymotic ER4S just as well, maybe a bit better, than my portable 12v CMOY amplifier. Not sure if they can crank up 250ohm+ headphones just as well, but they really bring full life and vibrancy (including bass and sound stage) to my ER4S, which is impressive.

Quote:
Just send the vendor a message on what color you want. I did on my order and they gave me the color I wanted. You have to use your volume on your computers.
Nice.Ya I decided to try one out. Astounding. I had no idea something like this would have the sound it does. Shocking. I keep on trying different headphones and iems and it all sound great to me.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #4,941 of 100,253
I just had a thought. These would make a really nice gift for loved ones that uses standard audio on their laptops/ computers..First thing first you guys need to discover just how good a $18 DAC can and does sound.. I should be checking out my new MDR-1R sitting next to me unopened but I keep on checking out how my tunes sound. For the guys that have the MH1s. Wait till you guys try that with this little unit. Perfect synergy.

A cheap earphone using a cheap dac. Just fantastic. I would have never guessed. Lol!

But then I quickly came to my senses. Oh lovely.

I thought my MH1 sounded good with this Ele dac. Lol. So I get a double surprise. These headphones are the real deal as well. Nice. I like it when I get my monies worth in sound and thensome. Today is a good day for me.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4,942 of 100,253
Is there a portable amp, equivalent to the ELE?
I usually listen to my music on the move more often than sitting and listening through my computer.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4,943 of 100,253
Quote:

I wear my xba3's exactly as shown by the maroon 5 guy, and I also like how I can drop them down the way you mention. So I have no problem with the j-cable design per se - just the cable itself. Also, if there is going to be a control gizmo, I would much more prefer for it to farther down under the j and under the clip. But that's just me.

Would love to see a Y cord model of these w/ round cable & no control gizmo. Love love love the sound , hate tha' linguine!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4,944 of 100,253
Quote:
I just had a thought. These would make a really nice gift for loved ones that uses standard audio on their laptops/ computers..First thing first you guys need to discover just how good a $18 DAC can and does sound.. I should be checking out my new MDR-1R sitting next to me unopened but I keep on checking out how my tunes sound. For the guys that have the MH1s. Wait till you guys try that with this little unit. Perfect synergy.

A cheap earphone using a cheap dac. Just fantastic. I would have never guessed. Lol!

I thought my MH1 sounded good with this Ele dac. Lol. So I get a double surprise. These headphones are the real deal as well. Nice. I like it when I get my monies worth in sound and thensome. Today is a good day for me.

MOTHER OF GOD those sony's are sexy looking!!! Wonder how they compare to the cheapo S500s. haha Cuz what I am hearing from my simply modded ones, it's so freaken scary how amazing they sound. I would say they have surpassed the V Moda M80s in overall sound from my audition of them. Just too dynamic; micro details/ mids and high all over your face combined with a bass that has killer deep precision it's too much ridiculousness!!! 

Oh right was gonna ask you which USB cable you use for that cheapo DAC and you other amps, sucks that it doesn't come with one, cheap or not it's good to have one. Care to link a brother to them good usb cables to use on this cheapo DAC??? 

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4,945 of 100,253
Sure. This is the exact cable I bought for my dac amps. IT is on sale again for $20. Yes I know it cost as much as the dac..This is worth the cash. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWQ47G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00   The only complaint I have is how short this cable is. It is just 1.5ft which is fairly shirt but It is enough length to hook up to your external sources.

The Sonys are very nice. I am loving how they sound. Sounds fantastic with the Ele dac too. I haven't tried the HA-S500 yet on the ELe, but I will soon and make a little post on the HA-S500 thread. Everyone gotta try out this DAC.. As shocking as this sounds. The sound from this little DAC is not too far removed from even my Fire Phoenix...Lol.

These MDR-1Rs are like a full sized version of my favorite iem. XBA-3. Nice stage for closed can. Great passive isolation..Nicely detailed highs mids and lows..It also has a full rich complete sound to it. Here is a bit of a surprise for you guys. So which headphone you guys think Jude prefers out of the recent batch of new headphone that has come out..From the M-100s, Sennheiser Momentums, UE6000 and the Sony MDR-1R.

He kinda dropped a little bomb shell in the MDR-1R thread that he prefers these MDR-1Rs. Now I see why.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #4,946 of 100,253

I ordered one of the ELE PCM2704 DAC the day after you. Was so cheap figured what the hell. Hopefully, gets here soon. I am one of those newbies who has just been using onboard sound on my computer.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #4,947 of 100,253
Quote:
Sure. This is the exact cable I bought for my dac amps. IT is on sale again for $20. Yes I know it cost as much as the dac..This is worth the cash. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWQ47G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00   The only complaint I have is how short this cable is. It is just 1.5ft which is fairly shirt but It is enough length to hook up to your external sources.

The Sonys are very nice. I am loving how they sound. Sounds fantastic with the Ele dac too. I haven't tried the HA-S500 yet on the ELe, but I will soon and make a little post on the HA-S500 thread. Everyone gotta try out this DAC.. As shocking as this sounds. The sound from this little DAC is not too far removed from even my Fire Phoenix...Lol.

These MDR-1Rs are like a full sized version of my favorite iem. XBA-3. Nice stage for closed can. Great passive isolation..Nicely detailed highs mids and lows..It also has a full rich complete sound to it. Here is a bit of a surprise for you guys. So which headphone you guys think Jude prefers out of the recent batch of new headphone that has come out..From the M-100s, Sennheiser Momentums, UE6000 and the Sony MDR-1R.

He kinda dropped a little bomb shell in the MDR-1R thread that he prefers these MDR-1Rs. Now I see why.

Cool thanks, WoW that cable was $100 MSRP. LoL It seems like the same type of USB cables printers uses to hook up to the PC, will that also work??? LMAO

Yeah have been keeping track of most of the headphones threads you mentioned, the Sennheisers Momentums seems like the weakest of the punch for their price. From what i have read their sound is worth about $200-250 but they are asking for a crazy $350 for them. The M-100 is a bit overpriced for mostly bass oriented can as well. $200 to $250 would have been a great price for the M100s. So these sony 1Rs and UE6000s are really great deals for not just their cheaper price but great sound quality as well. Their sound punch wayyy higher than their retail price it seems.  Also keep an eye out for the new AKG 167s, on man these seem to be another of those value kings for the crazy nice sound you get. But damn you AKG for not making the cable detachable for this $200 can, really, really? LoL That's what I hate about this brand sometimes, they never learn.  

But my S500s sound so good right now, I am not even tempted to "upgrade" whatsoever. LoL But those AKG 167s might be my downfall eventually. haha

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,948 of 100,253
@ Spider fan, If you ordered the day after I posted you should get yours maybe on Friday after Thanks giving.  Speaking of. Happy turkey day to my fellow Americans.

I am telling every single one of you guys that use your onboard sound. Wait till you guys hear your tunes. Even your MP3s from your laptop out of this little dac. Prepare for the shocking revelation. Even guys that have much higher end dacs. Seriously you gotta here these.

The money spent is not equal to the sound you get from this device. There is a reason why I am returning my AUNE T1. Seriously this little thing sounds just as good. Not as powerful but SQ wise I am not gonna miss it. This actually might sound a bit better. Not as bright sounding. Which made it easy for me to pack up the T1.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #4,949 of 100,253
Quote:
Cool thanks, WoW that cable was $100 MSRP. LoL It seems like the same type of USB cables printers uses to hook up to the PC, will that also work??? LMAO

Yeah have been keeping track of most of the headphones threads you mentioned, the Sennheisers Momentums seems like the weakest of the punch for their price. From what i have read their sound is worth about $200-250 but they are asking for a crazy $350 for them. The M-100 is a bit overpriced for mostly bass oriented can as well. $200 to $250 would have been a great price for the M100s. So these sony 1Rs and UE6000s are really great deals for not just their cheaper price but great sound quality as well. Their sound punch wayyy higher than their retail price it seems.  Also keep an eye out for the new AKG 167s, on man these seem to be another of those value kings for the crazy nice sound you get. But damn you AKG for not making the cable detachable for this $200 can, really, really? LoL That's what I hate about this brand sometimes, they never learn.  

But my S500s sound so good right now, I am not even tempted to "upgrade" whatsoever. LoL But those AKG 167s might be my downfall eventually. haha

I suppose if you really want to go cheapo. Yes as long as it is a high speed 2.0 USB cable. yes you can hook up your printer cable to this ELE dac. But like I said. Getting a cheaper Audio usb is always a good idea for audio imo. At the bare minimum. Go to your local walmart and get a decent Belkin USB cable for $10.

Ya you will have less of a reason for upgradetitus once you hear this dac and your HA-S500. I look forward to read how you hear your tunes once you get this DAC. You thought your HA-S500 sound good now. I am willing to bet you. You will hear them in a new level once you hear it with this DAC. The HA-S500 does sound better with better sounding hardware. Sound unbelievably great on my Fire Phoenix. And on my Bravo amp. I haven't tried it yet with the ELE dac but there is no possible way it won't sound right with it. I will post a little turkey thanksgiving post on the HA-S500 thread tomorrow..

$18. And it makes everything you hear from your computer sound very great. Completely worth the cash and thensome.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4,950 of 100,253
If you ordered the day after I posted you should get yours maybe on Friday after Thanks giving.  Speaking of. Happy turkey day to my fellow Americans.

I am telling every single one of you guys that use your onboard sound. Wait till you guys hear your tunes. Even your MP3s from your laptop out of this little dac. Prepare for the shocking revelation. Even guys that have much higher end dacs. Seriously you gotta here these.

The money spent is not equal to the sound you get from this device. There is a reason why I am returning my AUNE T1. Seriously this little thing sounds just as good. Not as powerful but SQ wise I am not gonna miss it. This actually might sound a bit better. Not as bright sounding. Which made it easy for me to pack up the T1.

Thanks for the good news after I had ordered it wished I had spent the extra on HifiMeDiy Sabre DAC since I saw it had good reviews. Glad this one is good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back