The discovery thread!
Nov 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #4,592 of 99,901
Quote:
MH1C aren't a basshead IEM, they go low but have no impact. People who think they are bass are those comparing to/used to BA's which have next to no bass.

Well, they are not a basshead IEM per se, but it does have a lot of big/tight and great bass, which i wasn't expecting cuz didn't really read all the reviews that thoroughly. This was an fantastic surprise for me, and what I am hearing after a day in half of burning is that these does bass better than my FX101s. Well maybe not in the sub-bass department but everything else in much much more refined cuz it destroys both my FX101s and FX40s. Well it is kinda like my FX101 and FX40s got together and the outcome was these MH1Cs without their negative traits (source revealing nature with sibilance and harsh highs).  

Quote:
I agree with you, the mh1 doesnt have HUGE bass like the sony eb90x. I think the people who say these are bass monsters havent heard a true bass IEM. Infact these on openbox didnt have much bass and was just thumpy. When is the next discovery going to happen?

LoL if you put it THAT way, cuz the eb90x is the BASS KING right now. But the bass on these MH1Cs are AMAZING. This is the perfect amount of bass for me without it overshadowing everything else, so I can't even phantom listening to true bass monsters like the eb90x because my head would probably explode.
basshead.gif
It is kinda funny cuz for me the bass on these MH1C were the most prominent thing that I heard on open box. After like a day and a half of burn-in the mids/ highs are coming through nicely and bass has tightened up.  Bass lovers will love the refinement in not just the bass but the entire sound spectrum on these MH1Cs. I feel even bassheads would be more than happy with these not just due to their cheap price but the overall quality of the sound. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,593 of 99,901
yeah, Sony Xb90EX maybe has the most amount of bass but that's not the main reason I like them - I actually dig the mids and the musicality which I have never heard with any other iem. I've already said it but the big bass actually helps with non-bassy music :D bass in jazz is well weighted and actually audible, as are the lowest of low registers on organs in classical pieces... If the new FX series have same sound and presentation, but more refined and detailed, then they will be the ultimate IEMs for me :) I guess people who own them here will agree that that XB90EX are not only about bass, but huge soundstage and presentation and sweet, smooth mids and laid back, but still detailed highs. 

Dan, I just need the NEW JVCs. they aren't even out and I'm already hyped XD

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,594 of 99,901
Quote:
Stozzer whats your current/past lineup of IEM's?

Probably to much to mention.

Shure e2c e3c e4c 530 425 210 215
Jvc fx101 fxd80, fx1x1 fx40
melec m6 m9
hisound paa-1
yamaha eph-100 
triple fi 10 
super fi 5
re262 re272
pfe 112 
panasonic hje900
fx700
ex600
westone 4 and 2
sm3 sm2
mh1 and mh1c (x4)
cube f1

And more but im getting ashamed lol

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4,595 of 99,901
Quote:
Probably to much to mention.

Shure e2c e3c e4c 530 425 210 215
Jvc fx101 fxd80, fx1x1 fx40
melec m6 m9
hisound paa-1
yamaha eph-100 
triple fi 10 
super fi 5
re262 re272
pfe 112 
panasonic hje900
fx700
ex600
westone 4 and 2
sm3 sm2
mh1 and mh1c (x4)
cube f1

And more but im getting ashamed lol

Thats quite a few headphones, have you found the one that suits you yet? I consider myself lucky for finding this website so late, which means I spent less to find a few pair of IEM's that I am happy with. I think some of you guys have an addiction, lol.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4,596 of 99,901
Quote:
I consider myself lucky for finding this website so late, which means I spent less to find a few pair of IEM's that I am happy with. I think some of you guys have an addiction, lol.

Yeah, that's what I thought and said as well. Good luck staying un-addicted
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4,597 of 99,901
Ones that ill probably not ever sell are my customs for obvious reasons in issues with reselling.  Apart from this Im offloading almost everything and sliming out the portable kit.  Hopefully will have finished selling stuff in January or so and just enjoy the music, im growing increasingly disinterested in the hobby.

I actually miss the hje900 as I had a soft spot for their brilliance on a few levels but ultimatley the were surpassed.  I was also going to hold on to my pfe112, but as im traveling less im getting more fulls size stuff they are up for sale, the pfe are still absolutely brilliant even though they dont get credit anymore as they are so many flavours of the month.  My feeling is that if they gave them a new shell with the same sound folk would fave about how good they are and how they are better than the old ones :wink: but thats just the way the hobby goes.

I recently bought 4 pairs of the MH1, I had bought one at first, I hated the cable at first till kova's mod.  Now they might actually be the last IEM'S i purchase i bought one for the girlfriend, one to use and 2 to stock pile for armagedon :wink:  (and may add another one).  I was sceptical at first thinking oh no another non event destined for this thread but these things are a whole other level than all the ones discussed other than the (xba-3 and fad which i cant comment on as I havent tried).  The are truly top tier sounding and I cant think of anything universal they cant compete with, especially in the dynamic driver area.

Come january I hope to be left with,

Imod, c3, clip 
Modded fostex t50rp, Superlux HD660
Arrow amp, digizoid Zo
JH and triple fi customs, MH1c plus whatever I use for the Gym

These are products that in my time here I consider to be true greats for various reasons.  Oh and theres my full size kit and speakers but thats really off topic lol.

The only thing that I know will drag me back in will be the Fiio X3

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4,598 of 99,901
ill add that this is from being around this and similar sites for 10 or so years, as well as working in the audio industry in Tokyo.  Wayne is definetly right good luck staying un-addicted  lol I came here at first to find info on the shure e2c i saw at my local brick and mortar store.  Damm i loved those little things. before moving to the e3c and then e4c and so on and on and on lol
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #4,599 of 99,901
Quote:
ill add that this is from being around this and similar sites for 10 or so years, as well as working in the audio industry in Tokyo.  Wayne is definetly right good luck staying un-addicted  lol I came here at first to find info on the shure e2c i saw at my local brick and mortar store.  Damm i loved those little things. before moving to the e3c and then e4c and so on and on and on lol
beerchug.gif

Yeah. I thought that the xba3's would be rock bottom for me. But I fear that I may not have hit rock bottom yet (can you say fxz100/200 lol). Actually, I'm hoping that once I get my mh1c's, that they will blow me away soooooooo much that I'll pull a stozzer and get rid of everything and be content with a $20 pair of magic-dust iem's (and my s500's of course). We'll see!

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4,600 of 99,901
OK, so I ordered the MH1c, delivered this weekend but I was away, didn't get to listen to them. While I was away, my FXD80's stopped functioning out of the right side, no sound. I've been in such a Head-Frenzy of purchasing, that I'm not even sure where I got them from...I'm 90% sure must have been from ebay or Amazon, but can't find it in my previous orders on either one. Maybe I'll try JVC, see if they would be of assistance, bummed out, but the MH1c should be interesting to listen to while I sort this out. Anyone else have any reliability problems with the JVC's?

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4,601 of 99,901
It just gets to a point where you ask yourself whats the point lol, stuff at the high end all so good nowadays that apart from the signature the phones have its the difference are not as huge as people claim and they embelish a fair bit.  Anyone should be extatic getting out with the mh1c (as it competes with said phones at such a cheap price) and a pair of s500 and you certainly wouldnt be missing much sonically, if you can live with knowing your gear isnt the coolest/newest/most expensive you will not really be lacking in any areas especially on the go.

Take what you save and invest in something you will really here differences, I have a fully modded t50rp which came to less than £200 (plus many many hours of time)  something like that competes at the very highest end, I use a valhalla amp myself with it but I have heard not but good things about the bravo and indeed amps, maybe not on the same level but pair with a simple good dac and you have something where you will notice discernable differences.  If you are in the states you can have all that for around $250-$350 and it will flat out kill what your listening to in a similar price point in portable audio. 

Truth be told i just found sonic bliss in my new mint 1996 Gibson Les Paul USA Pdition in TV yellow.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4,602 of 99,901
The point is that there isn't really a point. Many head-fi'ers who quit before, have returned. This is not so much because they found a flaw with their "end-game" gear, but because the journey is fun. I often ask the same questions as you, but end up buying into the latest fad.

If you want to go along that line, then one could also ask what's the point in taking "life" seriously. After all, no-one gets out alive anyway. We might as well wear underwear everywhere.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #4,603 of 99,901
Quote:

If you want to go along that line, then one could also ask what's the point in taking "life" seriously. After all, no-one gets out alive anyway. We might as well wear underwear everywhere.

Umm yeh comparing life to collecting headphones.....................some head-fiers are pretty diehard.
deadhorse.gif

Im not saying im getting out, but out the portable section yes i am, its very expensive for little relative return.  Actually in, terms of my feeling about this thread, I didn't really get it and still dont in many ways.  That said it does throw up some fantastic iems on occasion, right now the MH1C  (although not from this thread) does give credance to the hunt for cheap but good, take something on jokers scale for example one scores and 8.4 and another 9.0.  seems like a big leep but when you compare them in real life (signature apart) you dont really hear that much difference in reality than what would make you happy.  Its a game of small incremental differences for which you pay a whopping premium not just in money but in your time reading and posting, in the quest for, slightly better treble or marginaly wider soundstage.  I think that that just how marginal differences are should be discussed a lot more around here rather than the grandstanding, I see so many newbs here so exited about moving from a fx101 to fx40 or similar stories and that is just crazy.

Anyway thats a discussion for another thread.  Carry on 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #4,604 of 99,901
Seriously, there's no point - it's a hobby (and probably a way of life for some people). I just can't ask myself what's the point when we're talking about a hobby. What's the point in smoking? There isn't one but I spend more than 1000 bucks per year for cigarettes. It's just something that some people like and do, like spending money on new audio gear. 
As far as this thread is concerned I've always considered it as a way to find out the signature of an iem before you get it. I agree the scores are strictly individual and there are iems here that I'll rate lower or higher than joker but the thread's main purpose is to give you a general idea of the sound of a certain iem, its accessories and its build quility - not to make you buy this instead of that just because it has a higher score even though it's more expensive

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4,605 of 99,901
Firstly, I find this discussion to be very interesting, so thanks everyone.

Quote:
It's just something that some people like and do like spending money on new audio gear. 

I hate spending money on new audio gear LOL! But there is definitely something very addictive about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back