The discovery thread!
Oct 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3,767 of 100,107
Quote:

but maybe it's not that bad? we should at least ask the seller...

Quote:
Xb90ex has the common neodynium driver...i bet they'll make a xb100ex very soon with bio-cellulose driver
smily_headphones1.gif

neodium is a magnet amd I think it is used in almost every dynamic driver iems. there's a high probability that it is just a regular not fancy plastic material used in others, but the size of the driver gave me hopes of it being closer to higher end ex600
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3,769 of 100,107
Oct 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3,773 of 100,107
Quote:
quick question.
can anyone compare the jvc fxt90 and sony xb90ex?

From memory the FXT90 has some lively extended highs with forward mids that some see as a bit aggressive so while guys that like a forward sound will keep them the guys that don't end up selling them. Very nice layering and staging on the FXT90 but where they don't touch the XB90. The XB90s are kings of sub bass. The FXT90 has a highs and mid tilt to the sound.  Not a real bass type of earphone really. For the same amount of cash I would recommend a FXD70 or a FXD80.

The XB90EX is for BASS lovers.. These don't have the extended highs that are on the FXt90 a bit rolled off in the highs meaning it will be a much smoother listening experience over the FXt90..If you want to try out a FXt90 type sound but on the cheap try out a FX40. While the FXt90 is a technically higher end sound with wider and deeper stage. The FX40 has many of the traits and a similar sound to them for $21 or so.

The XB90EX is a different sound all together. These are for fans of full big sound with monsterous sub bass.
Quote:
Just got the XB90EX's today from Accessoryjack; shipping took about a week. So far WOW that sub-bass hits so hard without being boomy. The highs are a bit recessed at this point though. I'm gonna give them a good burn in. 

What tips are XB90 owners using, stock, foamies, or other buds? I put my favorite Shure earbuds on them but they fall off easily. The stock buds are sufficient for now though. 

Ya it is a shame that Sony didn't include proper tips for the XB90. Unfortunately Sony hybrids while all Sony earphones use them are not proper for these earphones. Wider bore tips are the way to go with these. Brings out the highs and mids much better the wider the better. And yes burn in is a must for these.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,774 of 100,107
This deal for the black and red FX3X is a good deal. I bought my pair for this much and they certainly wasn't red n black. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-XTREME-XPLOSIVES-Earbud-stereo-headphone-HA-FX3X-R-/110964075333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5f96b45  With shipping it will be $65. I bought my HA-S500 from these guys and this is sold out of Japan.  Solid deal imo.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3,776 of 100,107
I think the mids are a bit smoother and tighter on the X3X over the CKS77. The mids are more forward sounding on the CKS77. The highs I would say is a wash. Both do a good job in the highs but aren't the best when it come to accuracy or transparency. Bass wise I would say the CKS77 has a bit more punch on the mid bass but the sub bass I will give the edge to the X3X.  This is why I say both are comparable. But the X3X cost much less. Sound stage wise yes the CKS77 has a crazy amount of width and depth but the FX3X are not too far off.

I am looking forward to trying out the new CKS earphones that are coming out. Dual air chambers sound promising. I am guessing one for highs and mids and one for the bass end. . I have a good buddy of mine going to Japan toward the end of the year. Might have to have him do some searching for me.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3,780 of 100,107
OK, getting confused. Ordered the fx80, now reading about these various sony's and other JVC's. How do the fx3x compare to these others (fx 40 and 80), and the other phones mentioned. These Monoprice 8320, which are dirt cheap. mentioned in the last post, make life even crazier. Sure, they're cheap, definitely wouldn't break the bank to buy a few. On the other hand, time is tight, I already have quite a few iem's (and full size are catching up}, and it becomes impossible for a busy guy to even compare and get a sense of all the different 'phones. Any comparisons of all the above mentioned (and others=I've gone through much of this thread, but 252 pages would be tough to cover, and I wind up forgetting what is what anyway. For instance, I had previously read about the thremaltake phones in an earlier part of the thread, but all the others pushed them aside until I just went back to check earlier in the thread). Thanks for any insights/comparisons/recommendations (would the TT be worse/better/same as the over the ear JVC carbon nanutube phones? Are the TT's just a flavor of the month that has passed it's time?)
Gone on enough-thanks again, Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back