The discovery thread!
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #31,697 of 100,898
  First review!! Show love....or hate 
cool.gif
 http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-m2-32bit-dsd-portable-music-player/reviews/15556

Oh man... You got my juices going with this DAP! Its design(also electronically speaking)/functionality/looks and specs seem amazing!
Totally getting into it when my modified DX50 should die (unlikely).

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #31,698 of 100,898
Hello fellas. Been so busy with life it has been slow here on the discovery thread. Happy to read everyones reviews on the newest and greatest.. Recently discovery for me is the new BA based NuForce line of earphones. HEM2, HEM4,HEM6 and their flagship HEM8.

I got the HEM8 last night and I have to say I think NuForce has outdone themselves. I will write a full review on these earphones but these sound nicer than you would imagine.

I will be getting all 4 iems and will do a review or impressions on all 4 on the NuForce HEM thread. Will post some impressions on here as well.

I can't wait for the review!

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #31,699 of 100,898

Oh man... You got my juices going with this DAP! Its design(also electronically speaking)/functionality/looks and specs seem amazing!
Totally getting into it when my modified DX50 should die (unlikely).

Glad you liked it. I know I shouldn't have posted here, but really I just wanted to give back to the community that has given me quite a bit. Take it for what it is.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #31,700 of 100,898
After reading the impressions and comments, I feel like an idiot with my $179 combo (IM70 + silver plated cable+ shipping) on a slow boat (10-15 days of standard shipping)

I always wanted to try the house sound signature of the ATH iems, but actually reading information about deals on Penonaudio (my favorite and most professional online shop), I saw the Macaw for something like $50 and now I really want to order it.

Questions to twister6 : Does it sounds so bad on the lower mids? Does it sounds too bright/analytic at the point of getting bored after 30mins? I don't have the Titan 1 but the EX1 which is actually the same according to reviews, does the Macaw sounds way better and more enjoyable for hours?

I didn't see any comparison with the black filter on. Does it sounds a little less analytical and more fun with slightly rounded high frequencies to make it more "rock/psychedelic/electronic" friendly?

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #31,701 of 100,898
After reading the impressions and comments, I feel like an idiot with my $179 IM70 + silver plated cable on a slow boat (10-15 days of standard shipping)

I always wanted to try the house sound signature of the ATH iems, but actually reading information about deals on Penonaudio (my favorite and most professional online shop), I saw the Macaw for something like $50 and now I really want to order it.

Questions to twister6 : Does it sounds so bad on the lower mids? Does it sounds too bright/analytic at the point of getting bored after 30mins? I don't have the Titan 1 but the EX1 which is actually the same according to reviews, does the Macaw sounds way better and more enjoyable for hours?

I didn't see any comparison with the black filter on. Does it sounds a little less analytical and more fun with slightly rounded high frequencies to make it more "rock/psychedelic/electronic" friendly?

How did it cost you that much?

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #31,705 of 100,898
Ah, that's ok then. You won't be disappointed with the IM70's if you like a warm mid centric sound.

Yes, I like everything to be slightly on the warm mid centric side, as I usually listens to an average of 5 to 7 hours on very long flights, anything too bright will start to hurt my ears after 30-45min and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favorite concept albums. A friend recommended the IM04 but I'm not going to invest that much for the time being.

Knowing that the ATH E70 will be out soon, I'm watching the threads for impressions :grin:

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #31,706 of 100,898
Yes, I like everything to be slightly on the warm mid centric side, as I usually listens to an average of 5 to 7 hours on very long flights, anything too bright will start to hurt my ears after 30-45min and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favorite concept albums. A friend recommended the IM04 but I'm not going to invest that much for the time being.

Knowing that the ATH E70 will be out soon, I'm watching the threads for impressions :grin:

I'll be getting the E40 myself, which is supposedly a direct upgrade on the IM70.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #31,707 of 100,898
So the HEM8 has been a fantastic experience for me..One of the most engaging musical BA based earphones I have ever heard.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-hem8-reference-class-hi-res-in-ear-headphones-with-quad-balanced-armature-drivers/reviews/15596

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #31,709 of 100,898
Mar 26, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #31,710 of 100,898
The shells are some of the smallest I have seen for a universal 4 BA earphone. Smaller than even the Primo 8 which was already small so they should be relatively comfortable for most ear shapes.

So a small comparison sample against the HEM8. I updated my review with this.

Comparos:

A​gainst the Primo 8: first off the HEM8 is much more efficient than the Primo8. Higher volumes from the same level of power on all sources tested. Which means the HEM8 is much easier to drive. AB testing has the HEM8 being more fuller and more engaging in the mid ranges. Mids have more reach it seems and imagery of the HEM8 is better than the Primo 8. Primo 8 seems more flatter sounding and not as dimensional. Treble also has better definition on the HEM8. Bass is about equal on both. Physically the HEM8 is smaller than the Primo8 which is not that large to begin with. The HEM8 is more tear dropped shape vs the slightly larger oval football like shape of the Primo 8 making the HEM8 much more comfortable and will fit more peoples ears much better. Winner here is the HEM 8.

Against the DN2000J: The mids of the DN2000J is much more leaner here vs the HEM8 and even the Primo8 and also has some brighter and a bit more treble emphasis over the HEM8. Efficiency is similar to the HEM8. I love the sound of my DN2000J but after getting used to how full and engaging the mids of the HEM8s are the mids of the DN2000J just takes a step back for me. Bass is awesome on the DN2000J and here is where the Dunu earphones win. The titanium coated dynamic bass driver of the DN2000J absolutely shines on the earphones. Otherwise the HEM8 not only has just a good of resolution as the DN2000J but has a much fuller more richer sound over the DN2000J. Winner again HEM8

Against the ATH- IM03 w/ upgraded cable. These are one of ATs finest BA earphones on the market. The IM03s are the closest to the sonics of the HEM8 but once again, imagery and fullness is not quite HEM8 level. Sound tuning is the closest out of the 3 I compared to here. Maybe on stock form the sound signature might be even closer to each other. Treble is not as emphasized on the IM03 as the HEM8 so the overall tone is a bit warmer on the IM03. Bass wise these are very close to emphasis, punch and extension with the IM03 having just a touch more sub bass but very similar in bass emphasis. To my surprise the HEM8 is also more efficient over the IM03. Imagery wins on the HEM8. Comfort wise there is no comparison. The IM03 has a much larger squarish housing shape that will not be comfortable for smaller ears. Winner again HEM8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back