The discovery thread!
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3,121 of 100,512
Okay, just got my FX101s. 

So far, I like them. They've got lots of bass with nice sub-bass extension. Mids sounds pretty good as well, still need some time to determine. The highs are decent and detail is good, if there is any sibilance I don't hear it because I listen at relatively low volume levels. Overall I'm happy with my $15 purchase, we'll see where these things go (maybe with some burn in).

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #3,122 of 100,512
Quote:

So, both of them can't isolate? Bummer. 
frown.gif

Oh, and these won't be my first in ears. My first were/are Marshmallows. Got them for 3 USDs, going strong for over a year now. 
etysmile.gif

And I've heard that the GR02s can have a slightly harsh treble at times. Is that true?

If you're using them with the stock tips (and depending on your ear canal) chances are you'll find the isolation poor. But they both are easily adapted for tips experiments and I find that memory foam tips improves isolation and may change the signature a little. (usually tamer bass and highs, more forward Mids) 

It is true, I once fell asleep with the GR02 on and woke up in the morning with a spliting headache !   ...kept hearing clashing cymbals the whole day !
The FX40 also has harsh trebles but they go away after 100 hrs burning.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3,123 of 100,512
Quote:
Ok. Thanks. You just confirmed what i think about these fx40. At night or on a quiet place these fx40 sound oustading, once you listen them at a crowdy place or at office its like the magic is lost and they sound thin ans nothing special. I am not so sure its isolation, me thinks there is something happenig on these iems once i need to cranck the over 70% of volume.
Also. Could you care to give us the margin on about what amount or % one wins over the over? Its a tight fight, clear winner or blows the doors of the other?
In any case i would not recomend these iems for gym, jogging, loud office etc. Magic is gone,
And i am 100% sure that people complaining about them beeing so bright are blasting this things over 70% of volume, less than that, they sound very nice, nothing to complaing about. Me thinks that there are the ones coming froma bassy iems that want to hear the music loud. These are like wine, not Coca Cola. Easy on them amd you will enjoy them.

It is your source that's limiting it to 70% volume i.e: your DAP is starting to distort at that level.
If you add a hi quality Amp to the system, you'll increase the "headroom" for the electronics to pump the juice and chances are you will not be able to exceed 50% volume with them IEMs in your ears.

Audiophiles spends $$$$$ to soundproof/soundstage their music appreciation rooms so that they'll hear nothing except the intended recordings. When you need to crank the volume up in order to drown out the ambient noise, you may think you don't hear the noise but actually, you still do and it is spoiling the music, thus ruining the magic for you !
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ok. I will buy the "isolation" argument. At work i have some complys i am going to try on these and report back.

We are very lucky with IEMs, don't have to spend $$$$$ but just a few dollars to experiment with different tips for better isolation.

...so have you tried those comply ?   ...would like to know if they'll do it for you.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,124 of 100,512
Quote:
Also. Could you care to give us the margin on about what amount or % one wins over the over? Its a tight fight, clear winner or blows the doors of the other?

They are both very close and the margin would be within 5 - 10 % for the winner, either blows the doors off the other (as DSnuts would say, "they are a side grade to each other").

The GR02 are special in that they give a very airy presentation, I really like their 3D soundstage, the mids are impressive too, maybe due to the lesser bass (Incidentally my GR02 are the Bass editions)

FX40 are my workhorse IEMs, very easy listerning sound signature (after 100hrs burn in of course) the deep bass is a very good introduction to JVC's new Carbon Nanotube technology.

I think everyone should have a FX40 to see what all the hype about JVC CNT's about, since it's so affordable, then grab a GR02 to hear it's 3D presentation as it just cost a little bit more.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3,125 of 100,512
I don't think tips make much difference in isolation. I can buy tri flanges and complys for my SHE3580 and they won't make them anywhere near as isolating as the worst tips (isolation wise) on the ety mc5. I can even adapt the 3580 tips onto the etys and they are still much more isolating than the 3580 themselves.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,127 of 100,512

The new Denon AH-C300. They better be damn good for being $250. Called the Urban Raver. Lol. they kinda look like strange ear probing instruments your Doctor might use to see how much wax you got in your ears. The lack of excitement for these I will guess they will drop to $150 by Christmas.

Lets see, what $250 gets you. A XB90EX, a HA-FXD80 and and throw in a HA-S500 with that too. What a deal.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3,130 of 100,512
Quote:

The new Denon AH-C300. They better be damn good for being $250. Called the Urban Raver. Lol. they kinda look like strange ear probing instruments your Doctor might use to see how much wax you got in your ears. The lack of excitement for these I will guess they will drop to $150 by Christmas.

Lets see, what $250 gets you. A XB90EX, a HA-FXD80 and and throw in a HA-S500 with that too. What a deal.

Oh that Denon .. the design is awkward and never fits with my ear when I first try. nightmare indeed. =.=

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3,131 of 100,512
Quote:

I think everyone should have a FX40 to see what all the hype about JVC CNT's about, since it's so affordable, then grab a GR02 to hear it's 3D presentation as it just cost a little bit more.

Too bad I can't do that. Where I live, the FX40 will cost me more than the GR02. So its either one of the two for me. :p
What about their build quality, btw? My Marshmallows are going on strong a year on, so these two should also last me over a year, right?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #3,133 of 100,512
Quote:

Too bad I can't do that. Where I live, the FX40 will cost me more than the GR02. So its either one of the two for me. :p
What about their build quality, btw? My Marshmallows are going on strong a year on, so these two should also last me over a year, right?

Better build quality than the Mashmallows.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,134 of 100,512
After listening to my FX101s more, I enjoy them just as much as if not more than my E10s. Is there any high quality medium-sized eartips I can buy for the FX101s? I'd prefer silicone ones but I'm not sure if any of the foam ones will fit the FX101s?

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3,135 of 100,512
reading all this, I might really have to splurge on the Sony xb90ex... they sound too good to be true LOL. One weird wuestion though - are they good for classical? My impression is that they should be really good - wide soundstage really good mids and all that stuff, but still, I may be mistaken...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back