The discovery thread!
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3,136 of 100,505
I don't listen to classical nearly as much as I should but from my Bach listening. They sound great to me however I would actually look into the JVC FXD80 over these for classical. Those have a imagery and high end detail level with great speed and a 3D like audible stage that is worth checking out for classical. The vented design helps in this regard..Try those for your classical for certain. Those have Carbon nanotube drivers and need at least 200 hours of full loud music burn in before they come proper however.

The XB90EX is a very versatile earphone and while it sounds great for classical these will excel more for EDM, Hiphop, Pop, vocals and even rock but for classical listening the FXD80 will be better if not one of the best for classical in the same cost range..The FXD earphones specialty is in the highs and mids with crazy imagery and they do have a dynamic bass quality to them with great quality low end.. These XB90EX has a more musical style flavor but also with one of the best stages for earphones I have heard but they do tend to favor the mids to bass more than the highs to mids which classical is more suited for.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,137 of 100,505
So, my GR07 is out on loan, and I'm not in the mood for my ASG-1, so I decided to borrow back my FX40 from my girlfriend for the day.

I hit shuffle on my iPhone 4, and the first song to play was Whitney Houston's 'I will always love you.'

Hot damn! I think the only thing stopping the FX40 from being a top tier is a slight lack of refinement. I really can't believe they sound this good. The instrumental and vocal clarity, the speed, the timbre, and the soundstage all make for one hell of an iem.

My woman will have to pry these from my cold dead fingers to get them back...or just buy me a nice dinner.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3,138 of 100,505
Dsnuts (or anyone else),

I have two questions:

1) Does the HA-FX40 sounds odd from high impedance sources?

2) I have the FX1X and FXC51 and I find the FX1X too cloudy. I like the clarity of the FXC51 but it is painful to wear. I assume the FX40 absolutely destroys both headphones in terms of quality?

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #3,139 of 100,505
Quote:
So, my GR07 is out on loan, and I'm not in the mood for my ASG-1, so I decided to borrow back my FX40 from my girlfriend for the day.

I hit shuffle on my iPhone 4, and the first song to play was Whitney Houston's 'I will always love you.'

Hot damn! I think the only thing stopping the FX40 from being a top tier is a slight lack of refinement. I really can't believe they sound this good. The instrumental and vocal clarity, the speed, the timbre, and the soundstage all make for one hell of an iem.

My woman will have to pry these from my cold dead fingers to get them back...or just buy me a nice dinner.

See this is where you need to get yourself a FXD70 or FXD80.  It is exactly this a more refined FXD40.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #3,140 of 100,505
Dsnuts (or anyone else),

I have two questions:

1) Does the HA-FX40 sounds odd from high impedance sources?

2) I have the FX1X and FXC51 and I find the FX1X too cloudy. I like the clarity of the FXC51 but it is painful to wear. I assume the FX40 absolutely destroys both headphones in terms of quality?

I have the fx1x and fx40, Its like comparing a toyota echo (fx1x) versus a honda accord (fx40), no contest at all.

If you want bass and dont care about anything else , fx1x wins
If you want a beatiful sounding bass , mids and highs, clarity,detail. Fx40

The more i use my fx40 , the less i care about all of my others iems, even the fx101.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #3,141 of 100,505
How does the FX40 compare to the Monoprice MP8320 or 8323s?

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #3,142 of 100,505
Quote:
See this is where you need to get yourself a FXD70 or FXD80.  It is exactly this a more refined FXD40.

Is the FX40 still the best bang for buck?

How would you say they compare against the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. I know that they're two different ends of the pricing spectrum but I have limited funds at the moment and just need a quick pair to replace my broken [No Proof of Purchase = No Lifetime Warranty] Coppers.

Also I'm looking for a decently cheap full sized pair, any suggestions?

I could easily pick up a pair of HTF600s and FX40 with money to spare, but cannot justify the HAS500 with how expensive importing would be and I hear the HTF600s are very flimsy with poor build quality. Thinking maybe Monoprice with the FX40.

My next pricey IEM is going to be the FXD80s. Probably pick them up Halloween. Just want to try the Carbon Nanotubes before I throw money at them.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #3,143 of 100,505
Quote:
The more i use my fx40 , the less i care about all of my others iems, even the fx101.

You and me both. 101 is up for sale. I did try FX-80, but the barrel was to round for my ears. Loved them when I had them, but probably never enjoyed what they potentially could sound like due to improper fit. On the other hand, the FX40 just fit me like a glove and isolate with the stock mounted tips. Freaky, really. lIke it was molded for me. No messing around, just an easy pop-in and enjoy. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,145 of 100,505
Quote:
Is the FX40 still the best bang for buck?

How would you say they compare against the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. I know that they're two different ends of the pricing spectrum but I have limited funds at the moment and just need a quick pair to replace my broken [No Proof of Purchase = No Lifetime Warranty] Coppers.

Also I'm looking for a decently cheap full sized pair, any suggestions?

I could easily pick up a pair of HTF600s and FX40 with money to spare, but cannot justify the HAS500 with how expensive importing would be and I hear the HTF600s are very flimsy with poor build quality. Thinking maybe Monoprice with the FX40.

My next pricey IEM is going to be the FXD80s. Probably pick them up Halloween. Just want to try the Carbon Nanotubes before I throw money at them.

i got the HTF600 and Fx40,  once you listen to your Fx40 you will find out how "Boxy" the HTF600 sounds, they sound cheap compared to the FX40, the only thing the got over the FX40 is a bigger sound and amount of bass.
Dont get me wrong, they are a good HP for the price, mines has over a year and are like new , no quailty construction issues whatsover,  but the funny thing is that the Fx40 is cheeper and sounds better, even if its a iem.

Get the Fx40, take your time and save the rest for the FXD80 or S5000, in the meantime enjoy yor Fx40.  This nanotubes things are worth every penny and blows the living life of anything in their price range. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3,146 of 100,505
Quote:

You and me both. 101 is up for sale. I did try FX-80, but the barrel was to round for my ears. Loved them when I had them, but probably never enjoyed what they potentially could sound like due to improper fit. On the other hand, the FX40 just fit me like a glove and isolate with the stock mounted tips. Freaky, really. lIke it was molded for me. No messing around, just an easy pop-in and enjoy. 

Yea.. this should have their own thread for them self.. no joke.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,147 of 100,505
i must add that this FX40 is the first and only "cheap" ieam i dont have to EQ,  just straight to the source, EQ off.. have fun.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,148 of 100,505
Quote:
I don't listen to classical nearly as much as I should but from my Bach listening. They sound great to me however I would actually look into the JVC FXD80 over these for classical. Those have a imagery and high end detail level with great speed and a 3D like audible stage that is worth checking out for classical. The vented design helps in this regard..Try those for your classical for certain. Those have Carbon nanotube drivers and need at least 200 hours of full loud music burn in before they come proper however.

The XB90EX is a very versatile earphone and while it sounds great for classical these will excel more for EDM, Hiphop, Pop, vocals and even rock but for classical listening the FXD80 will be better if not one of the best for classical in the same cost range..The FXD earphones specialty is in the highs and mids with crazy imagery and they do have a dynamic bass quality to them with great quality low end.. These XB90EX has a more musical style flavor but also with one of the best stages for earphones I have heard but they do tend to favor the mids to bass more than the highs to mids which classical is more suited for.

It sounds like I just need to buy both... the sonys look better though and although I like classical, that is not the only thing I listen too. basically, I listen to every genre there is (classical jazz and hip-hop being the majority) so I need kinda versatile stuff.

btw, do you guys know anything about the seller called AOYAMA&CO on amazon? they have FXD80s for 100$ but I'm kinda worried about the seller...

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3,149 of 100,505
Oh by all means get yourself a XB90EX then. Puts the fun in your music for sure. On some of the better recorded tracks that is where these earphones become unique. These are the only earphones that I can clearly make out the vocals in front of the instruments because they have so much depth to the sounds...I think something like the FXD80 and a XB90EX make a good couple.. One for your big bassy EDM n hiphop the other for classical and everything in between.

As for getting a FXD80. I would just get one from Ebay and use paypal. You are covered that way. I do believe there might be one used on the forums too.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3,150 of 100,505
Quote:
How does the FX40 compare to the Monoprice MP8320 or 8323s?

The FX40 use a new tech for driver that is nothing short of a marvel, Carbon nanotubes.and the monos use the old Neod drivers. The difference is the FX40 has a fantastic clean HD sound. Clear definition in the highs the mids and the bass. It is some of the best quality sound for the price payed for certain. The MP8320 sounds great given their big drivers and bigger housing but comes up a bit short in the highs and the lows. That is where these FX40 will shine. Give them a go for $21. worth every penny. Give them a good 200 hours burn in with some loud EDM and you are golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back