The discovery thread!
Jul 1, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #29,476 of 103,268
What headphone is that?

+

Audio-Technica R70x.

Correct! Thank you thatbeatsguy, this headphone is phenomenal. For the first time, I feel that the premium price tag is actually worth it (for its target audience). The Audio Technica r70x is not for consumers who wish to have the best clarity or the most bass. However, it is for people who enjoy hearing a great tonal balance inside their homes, (no peaks or dips in the frequency as far as I can tell). It's an open back headphone that is slightly smaller than the msr7s. This is the headphone I've been waiting for, one that is warm, detailed, and expansive in both width and depth. Imagery in this headphone is more than great, especially for video games. Of course, this headphone has the mindset of a reference, which I most certainly agree with.

Take caution of the sound signature however. While I do list these positive traits, there are negatives. The dynamics definitely could be better, and the mids could use just slightly more detail, but I'd rather not have more detail thank you. I would rather enjoy hearing a warm signature than the analytical/bassy past audio technica heapdhones. This has slightly less bass than the msr7s, but that doesn't mean it lacks (except in the sub-bass).

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #29,477 of 103,268

Quote:
Ahhh, forgot the butler, knew I left something home...

Yes, i hate when we forget the BUTLER and all the AV gear cases
and have to make do with live music or the car radio.......primitive...
Someone,in fact, should offer a high end audio BUTLER SERVICE
for those traveling head-fi-.org members who insist on the very
best sound under ALL circumstances!!!!!!!

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #29,478 of 103,268
  NEXT TIME be sure to take the BUTLER and a suitcase containing the MicroZotl2, the HE1K, a streaming source for TIDAL, a CD
player and a DAP of sufficient quality, DX90? to make you feel at home on the beach.  the MicroZotl2 will run off a 12 volt battery
according to Mark, just make sure the curcuit is fused..... ha!

Ahhh, forgot the butler, knew I left something home...

lol

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #29,479 of 103,268
Basso is above his price range.

Are JVC HA-FX3X, SUR s808, KZ ED8, or KZ ED8m better than Piston 2, with comparable bass quantity?  He's looking for an IEM for the same price or less with equal bass quantity, but better.  If there isn't any, then I'll just tell him to buy another Piston 2.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #29,480 of 103,268

I would be shocked if any of these had more bass than the SUR. They're pretty ridiculous. Definitely more bass, both mid and sub, than the pistons. I think the FX3X are the better iem, but then again I'm a bit of a JVC fanboy so I might be a tad biased 
redface.gif
 Can't comment on the ED8 as I haven't heard those yet.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #29,483 of 103,268
I'm pretty sure I've read impressions of the AG R1 in here a while ago. Nothing that made me want to try them........

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #29,485 of 103,268
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #29,486 of 103,268

I'm pretty sure I've read impressions of the AG R1 in here a while ago. Nothing that made me want to try them........

But they're omnivorous!

They are blah-mnivorous.  Had them since awhile ago, nice solid build, but a blah-sound...  Skip.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #29,488 of 103,268
  By chance, do you have the new Astrorex GX40/50 coming? Saw them on Penon and they look snazzy, and removable cables too,

From a Head-fi review on the GX50...

"Sound: As for the most important part, GX50 In overall, has a warm, intimate and closed–in sound character. Detail retrieval is fairly good.

Lows: are fairly accurate (a little loose) and strong; have a good impact.

Mids: sound somewhat artificial and un-natural, not at all appealing on vocals.

Highs: are smooth, not too smooth to cause a darkish impression and not bright to cause sibilance. ‘Just right’

Soundstage:  Closed in natural and circular soundstage. Instrument separation is not upto mark, overall feels congested. This, I believe is a cause for fatiguing listen.

Comparing the GX50 with S0, I feel the S0 definitely outperforms the GX50 in terms of sound quality (soundstage, neutrality, separation and imaging). The S0’s are also more relaxing to listen to; whereas the GX50 is warmer, intimate and closed in. The GX50 wins hands down in terms of cable quality, and ergonomics. The final sound (and comfort) of GX50 can be slightly changed by using different ear tips.The final sound (and comfort) of GX50 can be slightly changed by using different ear tips."

Zelda also had the GX50 and said after that there is no interest in the GX40.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #29,489 of 103,268

By chance, do you have the new Astrorex GX40/50 coming? Saw them on Penon and they look snazzy, and removable cables too,

From a Head-fi review on the GX50...

"Sound: As for the most important part, GX50 In overall, has a warm, intimate and closed–in sound character. Detail retrieval is fairly good.

Lows: are fairly accurate (a little loose) and strong; have a good impact.

Mids: sound somewhat artificial and un-natural, not at all appealing on vocals.

Highs: are smooth, not too smooth to cause a darkish impression and not bright to cause sibilance. ‘Just right’

Soundstage:  Closed in natural and circular soundstage. Instrument separation is not upto mark, overall feels congested. This, I believe is a cause for fatiguing listen.

Comparing the GX50 with S0, I feel the S0 definitely outperforms the GX50 in terms of sound quality (soundstage, neutrality, separation and imaging). The S0’s are also more relaxing to listen to; whereas the GX50 is warmer, intimate and closed in. The GX50 wins hands down in terms of cable quality, and ergonomics. The final sound (and comfort) of GX50 can be slightly changed by using different ear tips.The final sound (and comfort) of GX50 can be slightly changed by using different ear tips."

Zelda also had the GX50 and said after that there is no interest in the GX40.

Zelda is usually accurate with a sound analysis, so I would wait for her review.  For sure, removable mmcx cable in GX50 gives it more flexibility to upgrade with better quality cables that will change the sound to make it brighter and more detailed (even cheaper Lunashops silver-plated cable can do it justice).

I personally have no plans, well mostly no time, to review anything else now, so no GX50/40.  Also, I'm not a fan of "crystal" glass housing that can crack and scratch if/when you drop it.  Plus, in that Jupit3r review a statement of "S0 definitely outperforms GX50" is a red flag because S0 wasn't that good to begin with.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #29,490 of 103,268

Zelda is usually accurate with a sound analysis, so I would wait for her review.  For sure, removable mmcx cable in GX50 gives it more flexibility to upgrade with better quality cables that will change the sound to make it brighter and more detailed (even cheaper Lunashops silver-plated cable can do it justice).

I personally have no plans, well mostly no time, to review anything else now, so no GX50/40.  Also, I'm not a fan of "crystal" glass housing that can crack and scratch if/when you drop it.  Plus, in that Jupit3r review a statement of "S0 definitely outperforms GX50" is a red flag because S0 wasn't that good to begin with.

That kills what little interest I had in them anyway :p  A penny saved is a penny earned as one of you Yanks said back in the day haha 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back