The discovery thread!
Jul 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #29,506 of 102,854
If my budget was around 50 bucks I would go with the e80, but if I could stretch it a little bit I would go a73.

My portable rig most of the time now days is my phone and a73 and using Google Music. I don't need to stack amps because it sounds good just the phone and a73. If I bring anything else it's an extra battery.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #29,507 of 102,854
I having a tough time choosing between the Philips X2, Hifiman HE-400 and the AT-R70X. I primarily listen to metal with complex passages, but I will be using them for movies, TV and gaming quite a bit. I already own the AD900X, but it is the only open headphone I own.

you cannot go wrong with gaming for both ath-r70x and phillips x2. However, for movies, I would recommend the x2 based on someone else's impressions and comparisons regarding both headphones.

Here is his comparison.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions/330#post_11739606 layout=inline]

I'm trying the Philips Fidelio X2 currently and it's my other favorite headphone I've had under $400 besides the R70x. If anyone is interested in how these two compare, I'd say the R70x is more warm

[/CONTENTEMBED]

Okay, that definitely took the R70x off my radar. I have been wanting the X2 for a while, but I have been reading up on the HE400 and it sounds like a good choice for music at least. I haven't found much in gaming or movies.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #29,508 of 102,854
Okay, that definitely took the R70x off my radar. I have been wanting the X2 for a while, but I have been reading up on the HE400 and it sounds like a good choice for music at least. I haven't found much in gaming or movies.
The pair of HE 400 I heard have something wonky and shrill sounding up top. It could have been my source but even the guy that owned them said he gets the same thing with his schiit asgard.

The brief listen to the x2 sounded great amped or through my phone. They were super comfortable as well.

From what I gathered I would say go with the x2

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #29,509 of 102,854
Peter are you enjoying them more than IM70 or as much as ckr-9? If so, I'm tempted to try those too. :popcorn:  

Good question, at the moment I'm leaning towards the E80's but they're still quite new for me so that might change......

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #29,510 of 102,854
The pair of HE 400 I heard have something wonky and shrill sounding up top. It could have been my source but even the guy that owned them said he gets the same thing with his schiit asgard.

The brief listen to the x2 sounded great amped or through my phone. They were super comfortable as well.

From what I gathered I would say go with the x2

Thanks for your input :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #29,511 of 102,854
I'm probably passing a dangerous line here, but I'm thinking about maybe stepping out of the budget area and going for something a little bit more expensive.. I have a feeling this might be even worse for my wallet, but okay..

So what I'm looking for is an IEM that will beat everything I have, and that will preferably have really really good isolation, since I will mostly use them on my daily commute on a sort of noisy bus. 

The stuff I have now that I like the most are my Takstar Pro80 and my KZ ED9 with brass nozzle and foam tips.

So the most important things are SQ and isolation. If it has a mic with remote that'd be a plus, since I am mainly going to drive it from my phone, streaming via Spotify on Extreme quality and partly FLAC from my Clip+/Topping NX1.

What would be my best options? A73 looks awesome, E80 too, but what worries me is the isolation, since even the best possible IEM in the world gets sort of ruined if I have too much external sound leaking in. Because of this I've been thinking a bit about something like Etymotic one model or another or Klipsch X10, but since my experiences with Chinese brands have generally been good, punching WAY above their price point, I wouldn't mind going the same route but a bit higher up the ladder.

If someone could help me out with this I'd be grateful.. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #29,512 of 102,854
  I'm probably passing a dangerous line here, but I'm thinking about maybe stepping out of the budget area and going for something a little bit more expensive.. I have a feeling this might be even worse for my wallet, but okay..

I did that this year and ended up with the Titan 1 and AKG k553 Pro. No regrets :) Go get yourself something nice. 

*PS. This didn't stop me from picking up a crap ton of budget gear that I still use and love. Good luck!

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #29,513 of 102,854
There's lots of differing on SQ, partly depends on personal preference (some like the JVC 850, some are AT fanboys, sine love Zero Doppio, some FAD Heaven V. Ask sound different, you get the idea. What I've NEVER found until I got a ciem (acs Encore) is anything that isolates as well as my Ety 4p (and I've compared them all as I've accumulated too much stuff).

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #29,514 of 102,854

I did that this year and ended up with the Titan 1 and AKG k553 Pro. No regrets :) Go get yourself something nice. 

*PS. This didn't stop me from picking up a crap ton of budget gear that I still use and love. Good luck!

Yeah, the Titan sounds interesting too, but then there's the thing with the isolation.

CIEM is a bit above my price point, A73 level (i.e. ~$150) is what I'm thinking as my max.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #29,515 of 102,854
  Yeah, the Titan sounds interesting too, but then there's the thing with the isolation.

CIEM is a bit above my price point, A73 level (i.e. ~$150) is what I'm thinking as my max.

The Titans are definitely not what you're looking for since isolation is key, although they really aren't that bad. They're about as leaky as the Piston 3.0s; ie. below average but acceptable.

I haven't heard the A73s but they're getting some serious hype. Probably not a bad choice :) 

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #29,516 of 102,854
You should seriously consider the MacaW GT100s. Like, seriously. Don't let the price fool you, these are dope IEMs. Like twister said, if they had been priced 2-3 times higher they'd still be worth it. :etysmile:

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #29,517 of 102,854

This simple mod and these headphones sound unbelievable.

With different thickness of foam thrown underneath the cup cushions it changes for the better from stock configuration. While very comfy for me these drivers were actually sitting on my ears in stock form. Now they don't. Plus the added benefit of better balance to the sound including a stonger low end bit wider stage. This sounds seems what Philips had in mind after this easy mod. If you haven't yet. You need to try it. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #29,518 of 102,854

This simple mod and these headphones sound unbelievable.

With different thickness of foam thrown underneath the cup cushions it changes for the better from stock configuration. While very comfy for me these drivers were actually sitting on my ears in stock form. Now they don't. Plus the added benefit of better balance to the sound including a stonger low end bit wider stage. This sounds seems what Philips had in mind after this easy mod. If you haven't yet. You need to try it. 

Are those the Philips that were $50 at one point?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #29,519 of 102,854
That is what price I bought mine. I saw them being sold for $50 a few more times since.  It is at $67 now on Amazon. Been contemplating this mod ever since I saw it on the thread. 

Proper spacing on the padding and these are at yet another level of sound from stock configuration. Light, comfy and now sounds even better using the C5 and X3ii as a source. Unreal how good these sound.

These are one of those phones if you never heard it. It would be hard to imagine how this cheapo can sound so good. These would sound good for $200 phones let me put it that way.  Philips version of the AD900X. Could be.

It would be a mistake to think these sound like your garden variety Philips cheapo cans.. These belong right next to their best sounding cans they have. X1 X2 and L2s.  For this reason alone these are a steal and a half,  great all around cans. Couldn't possibly sound better for the price. Especially with the foam mod.

Gaming and movies sound lovely through these too.

A bit more on what that foam mod does. I had the foam mod in place, paused Metallica I was listening to and took the foam out. It was back to stock padding again or more flat on my ears and the change easily noticeable. The foam gives proper alignment to your ears it seems and therefore much better everything. Better stage is one but, even more comfort as my ears don't touch the inside of the pads, imaging is more precise, treble while a touch on the bright side sounds more controlled. mids have more space it seems, more open sounding with better punchier bass.

I also used a thicker foam previously and it made the sound much more forward which also brought up the treble and the bass as well. Sub bass was much improved but also brought up the mid bass. A bit too much for my liking. So I tried the thinner foam and while sub bass is not as good as the thicker foams the rest of the sound has a balance, clarity, texture with the right level of energy an fullness. The medium porridge. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back