The discovery thread!
Apr 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #23,582 of 100,525
deceased by careless mistake and you just simply go get another one. you must work in the grandest yoghurt shop in the galaxy 
confused.gif

i'm envious.

i could add up the cost of all my gear (admittedly little) and it would be only enough for one FX850

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #23,583 of 100,525
Welp, the harman kardon cls arrived. They're pretty good for the price to be honest. I don't know about $200 good *as the mikros and re700s whoops them in bass quality, and the highs can be definitely subjective as the lower highs, upper mids of the audio technica aand mikros can be annoying sometimes* but other than that, these are pretty good. I like that the mids are more engaging than the audio technicas, and almost beats the engagement in the mikros90, I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I do enjoy the detail these give out, just enough to be up there with the mikros. 

The micro details are, surprisingly, present. I expected these kardons to miss out on some important nuances, but nope! It even doe sa great job of separating different tonality, pitch, and tones from singers and instruments. I love the highs on these, not as much as the mikros, but close enough to be satisfied (as the lower treble needs to be forwarded a bit).

They are pretty nice looking, and are...surprisingly comfortable with glasses. I am not joking, no damage on the ears, sit flush on my ears with no comfort problems, compared to the jarring pain I had with the mikros 90 and re700 the first time I wore them. The mikros90 and re700 are MUCH more comfortable the way they are now, but if we are talking out of box comfort, these harmans do a great job! 

Pretty good, people should buy this as a secondary headphone for the fun sound it provides. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #23,584 of 100,525
Once again I've been stung by customs. My IM70 cost ¥10800 (£62/$104) from Amazon Japan, then shipping and usage fee from Tenso was £14 ($23) so £76 ($126) all in.

I received a letter today from Parcel Force saying I owed £6.79 import VAT and £13.50 clearance fee before they release my parcel so all in they've charged me £20.29 ($33.74) :frowning2:

So after Tenso fees and customs I ended up paying £96 ($159.62). The last time I bought IEM's (CKN70) from Japan (via Tenso) I got charged £24 ($39.90) in customs. I think I might have to stick to purchases from the UK from now on.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #23,585 of 100,525
Welp, the harman kardon cls arrived. They're pretty good for the price to be honest. I don't know about $200 good *as the mikros and re700s whoops them in bass quality, and the highs can be definitely subjective as the lower highs, upper mids of the audio technica aand mikros can be annoying sometimes* but other than that, these are pretty good. I like that the mids are more engaging than the audio technicas, and almost beats the engagement in the mikros90, I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I do enjoy the detail these give out, just enough to be up there with the mikros. 

The micro details are, surprisingly, present. I expected these kardons to miss out on some important nuances, but nope! It even doe sa great job of separating different tonality, pitch, and tones from singers and instruments. I love the highs on these, not as much as the mikros, but close enough to be satisfied (as the lower treble needs to be forwarded a bit).

They are pretty nice looking, and are...surprisingly comfortable with glasses. I am not joking, no damage on the ears, sit flush on my ears with no comfort problems, compared to the jarring pain I had with the mikros 90 and re700 the first time I wore them. The mikros90 and re700 are MUCH more comfortable the way they are now, but if we are talking out of box comfort, these harmans do a great job! 

Pretty good, people should buy this as a secondary headphone for the fun sound it provides. :jecklinsmile:

1+
Haven't had a chance to direct compare either, but I like the HK's, fun listen, holds up in audiophile checklist.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #23,587 of 100,525
I'm back to being dac-less. The FireyeDA I got a few months back (after having the first one replaced) is now suffering from the same shoddy usb port. If I had my solder kit on hand I would take care of the problem myself, but I don't. Is the uDac 2 still the best usb dac under $150?

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #23,589 of 100,525
Once again I've been stung by customs. My IM70 cost ¥10800 (£62/$104) from Amazon Japan, then shipping and usage fee from Tenso was £14 ($23) so £76 ($126) all in.

I received a letter today from Parcel Force saying I owed £6.79 import VAT and £13.50 clearance fee before they release my parcel so all in they've charged me £20.29 ($33.74) :frowning2:

So after Tenso fees and customs I ended up paying £96 ($159.62). The last time I bought IEM's (CKN70) from Japan (via Tenso) I got charged £24 ($39.90) in customs. I think I might have to stick to purchases from the UK from now on.

It's the same over here. One need to stay away from Japan, EU (since Norway is not a member) and the US since packages from there always get checked. The rest of Asia is very safe as long as the seller is willing to mark down the value of the content :wink:

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #23,590 of 100,525
Wow, customs is tuff in Scotland.

Yeah, tell me about it :frowning2:

It's the same over here. One need to stay away from Japan, EU (since Norway is not a member) and the US since packages from there always get checked. The rest of Asia is very safe as long as the seller is willing to mark down the value of the content :wink:

So would ordering from Accessory Jack (based in Hong Kong) be safe from customs if the seller was willing to mark down the price (which he was)?

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #23,591 of 100,525
I'm back to being dac-less. The FireyeDA I got a few months back (after having the first one replaced) is now suffering from the same shoddy usb port. If I had my solder kit on hand I would take care of the problem myself, but I don't. Is the uDac 2 still the best usb dac under $150?

What bout the Modi and ODAC?

Modi doesn't have a 3.5mm output jack, does it? It also seems quite big. I'm going to be using this with my phone as well as my PC. I'd prefer not carrying around a 3.5mm female to RCA cable as well. I'll definitely give the odac a listen.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #23,592 of 100,525
What up, fellas? Been a while since I've swung through...

Well, reason being is I've been quite content with what I have... and funds are tight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back