The discovery thread!
Mar 6, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #22,846 of 101,787

Thanks guys for your well wishes and support while i was surviving pneumonia in the hospital for ten days.  Lovely to be home now and have access to a variety of headphones and oems and more music.  gotta credit head-fi and the community for keeping me semi sane while i was in the same room for ten days.  

What a coincidence...I'm currently pulling an all-nighter cramming for an Infectious Diseases exam in 6 hours that deals with pneumonia.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #22,847 of 101,787
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #22,849 of 101,787
I do appreciate that it is hard to get into a particular artist's catalog if they don't grab you quickly and you listen to tons of music. I have trouble getting to know the cd's I order, things that I wanted, much less explore people I'm not sure I'll care for...

I agree with you completely on this @doctorjazz from a more general sense.  So many times I turn on the radio or the television and I think "omg, this is total crap", or "they call this RAP?!".  But then from time to time I do hear one brilliant song and I think -- am I missing something?  This guy is really good.  It's so hard to get into someone new because of not being exposed to it, or being leery because that person happens to be in the news and I want no part of it.  Not to mention the (unfair) negative prejudice I have that "almost everything new sucks and pales in comparison to the stuff I grew up listening to". 

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #22,850 of 101,787
Mar 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #22,851 of 101,787
  i just ordered my Doppios from Whiterabbitjapan as a coming home present for myself. looks like i made a smooth move!

Good to hear from you again and hope you get better soon!

Still look forward to your Zero Audio shootout.

I recently bought ZE-1000 and Astrotec AX30 and still nothing beats the Tenore for 3D sound, hard hitting fast bass, lush mids, and airy treble.  Tenore is probably the best IEM for under $100.  More of you should try it!

I bought M200 with the hopes that it beats Tenore.  Can't wait to find out!

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #22,852 of 101,787
I've been trying to find the tenores from somewhere I can buy from lately but without any luck :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #22,853 of 101,787
  Really? I remember the CKN70 having pretty powerful bass.

It does have powerful bass, but so does the Doppio. But maybe this weekend I'll A/B both. So maybe I'll flip what I stated about which one has the edge, but both have great bass. That will remain the same. And I'm really surprised about the Doppio, because there was virtually no bass on the first couple of listens, but now there's more than enough bass.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #22,854 of 101,787
Hey guys I'm back, and I got the Ze-1000's (first impressions on those coming this weekend) and a full review of the akg k545's are coming as well. I just had to say this soundtrack is just... sooooooo goooooood

especially for testing spacial and bass characteristics, also detailing

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #22,856 of 101,787
I've been trying to find the tenores from somewhere I can buy from lately but without any luck
frown.gif

You can get from kakaku.com via whiterabbitexpress or kakaku's forwarding service, buysmartjapan.  Kakaku has a banner for buysmartjapan.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #22,857 of 101,787
For those of you who aren't reading the Pistons thread, Mochill is saying the new Piston (I call it version "2.1") is better than Fostex TE-05 and that's without burn-in on the Piston.  He said if they improve with burn-in, they could equal the FX850!

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #22,858 of 101,787

The mids are my favorite in this IEM, it's airy and open, pretty resolving in detail, and contains the smoothness that the ck10s had, but adding a bit more of a solid feel to it (the ck10s had a liquid type of midrange, the detail was still there as words were clear as day and the vocals were prominent despite the spicy treble, but the ck10s whole spectrum was pretty thin because of that, and it felt as though the sound was lush and dry.) The voices are also somewhat forward in the im02s, just like the ck10s were. Its midrange is more lively than the ck10s, and more importantly for me, sharper and refined as the voices from the beatles, pink floyd, Maccabees, Goo Goo Dolls, Muse, The killers, and the Frays had weight to them. I remember kiteki ranting about the ck10's liquid smooth midrange messed up the bite to the guitars, drums, and string instruments. Well, the im02s remedy that and make the sounds of instruments come a bit more alive. The timbre is better with the im02s than the ck10s. 

Thanks, got them, Love them :).

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #22,860 of 101,787
Awesome! Glad i was able tp help you.
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you think of the bass of those im-02s? Too little, enough, beautifully textured and sweet with a bit of warmth?

Am not sure I will be able to describe them correctly. But I can say this: the Bass is there... it is enough and sweet, and not too strong to cover/butcher the vocalist :).
got them with a Sansa Clip+, and .flac songs.... amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back