The discovery thread!
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,236 of 102,066
Quote:
So it seems some guys got their FXD80s already. That means I will receive mine very soon. I will post my thoughts on them once I get them..It will be interesting to hear the newest Micro HD tech from JVC using these Carbon nanotubes.

@Ghost you enjoy them earphones buddy. You have been quite the supporter. Lol.

I'll be following your recommendations on them FXD80 closely! I've not been disappointed with any of your recommendations thus far.

The SHE3580, FX101, FX40, CKS77, CKM500 are all excellent and exactly as you described, maybe due to me having the same listening preferences.

I've even tried the FX1X to see how close you were there  ....well, you were spot-on on these as well, I didn't enjoy much of any music with them, the only notable track I've hear so far was Kitaro's Matsuri, the sub bass extentions did justice to the Drums on that track.

PS: Thanks also to Joe Bloggs for sharing the SHE3580 find.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,238 of 102,066
The 40 sounds so beautiful,that i dont understand why everyone is complianing about the treble....i just let them burn in for 15hrs and they already sound so much better...there speed is just amazing and the clarity just stupidly crazy,for me the fit is amazing that i can sleep with them on my side.....also i can still hear everything on such a low volume is goood for my ears :p....i am also using the large stock tips.
the piercing treble starts at about 20 hrs and doesn't subside until about 80 hrs.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,239 of 102,066
I just had to take a moment to say FX40 + Soundmagic A10 with XB on + SSRadioUK Deep and Soulful = Bliss.

The combination of the warmth from the a10 with the clarity and speed of the fx40 makes for delightfully enjoyable deep house.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,240 of 102,066
I gotta try that combo with my Arrow in place of Soundmagic. Thanks for the tip.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,242 of 102,066
Quote:
the piercing treble starts at about 20 hrs and doesn't subside until about 80 hrs.

I bought the 101 after reading all the positive reviews on this thread only to be put back by the horrible piercing/harsh treble.

As you can see this is my first post on the forum, I'm beginner in the headphone/earphone gear compartment. Are 'burn-ins' really necessary for ALL earphones?

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,243 of 102,066
Quote:
I bought the 101 after reading all the positive reviews on this thread only to be put back by the horrible piercing/harsh treble.

As you can see this is my first post on the forum, I'm beginner in the headphone/earphone gear compartment. Are 'burn-ins' really necessary for ALL earphones?

I noticed one thing as I was using these yesterday. It goes without saying but because of the shape of the tips and the how the earphones sit in your ears. What you guys might think is a good seal might not be. I noticed I have to really shove these into my ears to get a good sound seal.

If I am casual about these and just put them in my ears they don't necessarily get a good sound seal giving me a brighter than normal sound. I caught myself adjusting them and twisting them into place and the sound from a little seal to tight seal is a big difference. I know many of you guys think you are getting a good seal with these but the only way you know you are is if you can feel the tips in your ears. If you are not feeling them then you are simply not getting the sound seal or perhaps the right sized tips, you need to hear these correct.

No amount of burn in is gonna fix human error. Not having the right tip size or just not considering a tight sound seal in your ears. .They seem like you have a good seal but you have to make sure. In the end if you properly place them into your ears right they will sound right. Otherwise they sound bright and lack bass too. One way of telling if you are not getting the right tip/ sound seal is if you push into you ears more with your current tip. If that changes the sound for you than that means you are not getting the right seal or using the wrong sized tip.

So far as burn in goes. The answer to that is yes. JVC is guilty of not pre burning these earphones before selling them to the public. The reason I know this is because just how much every single JVC earphone changes for the better with burn in. Burn in makes all these earphones sound better in the long run.  Burn in is very easy too and kinda fun to hear the changes. Put them into a fairly loud source and just let it rip for a weeks worth of time and you should get a better sounding FX101. First thing first make sure your getting a nice tight sound seal in your ears with the right sized tip.

@sofastreamer. The FX40 is a better option over the FXC51 imo. But for $25 those are a good purchase. Like all JVCs you do have to burn them in aggressively for a good 100 hours.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,244 of 102,066
Thanks, DsNuts. So far, I've only been listening with them casually at work for 3 days and burned it in for 8 hours with bassdrive.com during my sleep last night. I will give it another 80 hours of burn in before I make the next call.During burn-in, do you keep the volume at max or at normal listening volume?

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2,245 of 102,066
I have an unwritten rule when burning in with music. I listen to them first in my ears and it has to be fairly loud. So they have to be loud to your ears. For me it comes out to around 7/ 8 out of a max volume of 10. Take them out and then I turn it up a half a notch or 7.5/ 8.5 to 10 max ,volume.  Max volume may damage your earphones as you are leaving them for hours and hours on that volume. While most earphones can take louder volumes I don't know if Max volumes is a good idea for the 50 plus hours. I suppose it all depends on your source too. So that is why I go by that sound rule.

So far I have been successful in burning every single earphone I have using this and also. Track down the some Drum and Bass music for burn in. Standard music will be fine but nothing like Drum n Bass to tax your drivers. It is the best stuff to pound on them drivers..

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2,246 of 102,066
ha-fxc51 arrieved today. way too painful in the trebles section to my ears. the 101 is a bit better in that way, but i think i will continue with philips as the 3590 is a lot more to my liking than the jvcs.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #2,247 of 102,066
Quote:
ha-fxc51 arrieved today. way too painful in the trebles section to my ears. the 101 is a bit better in that way, but i think i will continue with philips as the 3590 is a lot more to my liking than the jvcs.

Ya they sound horrid out of box. I remember like it was yesterday the first time I heard them. Prepare for a transformation like you have never heard..Burn in makes them sound so much better you have no idea. 80 hours they change like crazy. If you have never been a firm believer of burn in. The FXC51 will change your thoughts about that. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. Try the burn in first. They need at least 80 minimum to start sounding correct.

Lol. I bet you was thinking. What? These sound like I am listening in a can. hahaha. Ya don't worry about that so much. They don't stay sounding like that at all. I am convinced carbon drivers are so stiff they all need a burn in. Expect a good %50 sound transformation with burn in if not more. Seriously.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,249 of 102,066
so, i went for the SHE3682 . same as the 3582 (blue) with the carrying case and NICER color, AND the chin slider

now.... i found the FX40 for $32 ($24+shipping from the US)
BUT there;re also the CKM300 for $50  from ebay (not from CDJapan, as they dont offer warranty)

i'm not going for the CKM500, yet 
cool.gif
so, which one btwn the ckm300 or fx40 is better?
oh, and the HJE355 might be considered as well...(probably for $37 shipped)

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,250 of 102,066
I have to share this video here just because I know there are a few AT fans in this thread and because the bass in it was awesome on my FX101s.

[size=1.8333em] Audio-Technica I Audio 911[/size]

http://youtu.be/gJwEztGUiNM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back