The discovery thread!
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,221 of 103,531
ok, guys, right now you infected me with those cheapos. i have got the she3590 and like it more than my tf10. today the ha-fx101 arrieved ans i am pretty impressed of the soundstage. but slightly too much bass and too less mids. so which one of the jvc bunch should i buy next? i do not like piercing highs, i am more a fan of smooth and relaxed sounds. listening to ambient and chill out most of the time.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2,222 of 103,531
Looks like she found some nuggets there, if you don't mind the colours :D

Apparently, the SHE3590 has been out for quite some time around these parts (Asia) it is indeed rare to find the older SHE3580 here.
The SHE3590 are packaged in the same half-tube PET packaging as the older SHE3580 but proudly boast "Extra Bass performance" on the label instead of the older "Color your Music". 

Correction, the SHE3570 (one generation before 3580) and the current 3590 both have half cylinder packaging. The 3570 had colored eartips while both the 3580 and 3590 have clear eartips. The SHE3580 has a blocky rectangular packaging instead of the half cylinder packaging of the generations before and after it (perhaps 'generation' is too strong a word becoz for all I know all 3 versions sound the same (ghostfit has just said 3580 and 3590 sound the same)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #2,223 of 103,531
Quote:
Thanks. Looks doable. Kramer invented this? What else has he been doing since Seinfeld?

If your try it let me know the results, id do it myself but i actually quite like the sound so wouldnt want to waste a pair if i dont like the mod,  for you though i guess if your gonna give them away its worth a shot as it did make and amazing difference on the marshmallows and some people even use it on expensive stuff like the hje900. 

As for kramer, he seemed to have a successful stand up career :wink:  cant possibly imagine how he could screw that up 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,224 of 103,531
I've googled double flanges and somehow ended up being back to this thread and noticed that you have discovered the jlab double flange tips a while ago, do they fit on the fx40? If yes then do they isolate much better and are they almost as comfortable as the stock tips?

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2,225 of 103,531
Quote:
ok, guys, right now you infected me with those cheapos. i have got the she3590 and like it more than my tf10. today the ha-fx101 arrieved ans i am pretty impressed of the soundstage. but slightly too much bass and too less mids. so which one of the jvc bunch should i buy next? i do not like piercing highs, i am more a fan of smooth and relaxed sounds. listening to ambient and chill out most of the time.

no one?

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #2,228 of 103,531
Quote:
I've googled double flanges and somehow ended up being back to this thread and noticed that you have discovered the jlab double flange tips a while ago, do they fit on the fx40? If yes then do they isolate much better and are they almost as comfortable as the stock tips?

They fit perfectly but somehow restrict the highs a bit. I don't like the way they sound on the FX40. They don't isolate any better either.

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,229 of 103,531
Quote:

If you want something cheap with great detail but less intense highs than the HA-FX40, imo you should get the Panasonic RP-HJE355. Its sound is overall a bit warmer than the HA-FX40, but not nearly as warm as the Sennheiser PX100 headphone.

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,230 of 103,531
Quote:

I gotta be honest, the FX40s are not as bad as people make them out to be, especially with some burn in. If you're really worried about the highs being too much, throw some comply tips on and they should smooth it all out.

The FX40s are fantastic for chill and ambient because of their clarity. They make things like that really enjoyable to listen to because I hear stuff i've never heard before in songs I listen to all of the time.

I too am very sensitive to highs and sparkle and don't have a problem listening to the FX40s. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2,232 of 103,531
Quote:
If your try it let me know the results, id do it myself but i actually quite like the sound so wouldnt want to waste a pair if i dont like the mod,  for you though i guess if your gonna give them away its worth a shot as it did make and amazing difference on the marshmallows and some people even use it on expensive stuff like the hje900. 

As for kramer, he seemed to have a successful stand up career :wink:  cant possibly imagine how he could screw that up 
tongue_smile.gif

I don't think I'll try the mod. Little time to devote because of all my other hobbies. 
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,233 of 103,531
Quote:

The FX40 are really quite good, but burning is a must  ...at least 50hrs of it.
My Sansa Clip Zip has a nasty "click" between tracks, out of box with the FX40, those "clicks" felt like a dentist's drill.

After 100+ hrs of hard-core burning, the highs have tame down, the mids are more full and the bass extension sounds realistic (When called upon). The nasty Sansa "click" has also change into more of a softer, less offensive "tick"
biggrin.gif

I noticed that I'm playing the FX40 at a much lower volume (due to the clarity) when compared to the FX101(FR201) 

If you don't mind a slightly higher price, the CKM500 is an excellent upgrade to both JVCs (thanks to Dsnut for sharing these AT and JVC finds) 

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,234 of 103,531
So it seems some guys got their FXD80s already. That means I will receive mine very soon. I will post my thoughts on them once I get them..It will be interesting to hear the newest Micro HD tech from JVC using these Carbon nanotubes.

@Ghost you enjoy them earphones buddy. You have been quite the supporter. Lol.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #2,235 of 103,531
Quote:
Correction, the SHE3570 (one generation before 3580) and the current 3590 both have half cylinder packaging. The 3570 had colored eartips while both the 3580 and 3590 have clear eartips. The SHE3580 has a blocky rectangular packaging instead of the half cylinder packaging of the generations before and after it (perhaps 'generation' is too strong a word becoz for all I know all 3 versions sound the same (ghostfit has just said 3580 and 3590 sound the same)

Thanks for spotting that packaging error !
wink.gif
   ...It seems the SHE3590 are the 2012 versions of the SHE3580 and SHE3570 (2011 versions)

For a complete Philips IEMs spotting guide, refer below:
biggrin.gif

http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog/worldproducts.jsp;jsessionid=0BA623CA426FF619705516D4C17AAD65.app107-drp2?userLanguage=en&userCountry=sg&sel=&catLookUp=&categoryid=WIRELESS_HEADPHONES_SU2_SG_CARE&navCount=2&navAction=push&sortValue=&show5Yrs=false&pageFrom=&title=In ear&categoryName=&_dyncharset=UTF-8&page=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back