The discovery thread!
Jun 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,270 of 100,635
Ya I love both them tracks much. They are both featured in A State of Trance . Armin Van Burren episode 527. Might be tougher to find but worth tracking down..I like testing my earphones on them tunes. I think I prefer the Florence Track with the FX40 and the MnS 64 track with the FX101. Both sound great.

On a side note the initial impressions that are coming in for the FXD80 is. Not good. Lol! We will see.

@sofastreamer The difference between the 2. The FXC51 sound more like an open headphone vs a closed in one that is the FX40. The FXC51 after the required burn in has great detail and nice wide stage for earphones. Sparkle in the highs with a nice airy laid back sound is the main feature of the FXC51. They do have a mild dip in the mid frequencies which is easily fixed with some eQ and the bass end while solid some might say is a bit on the boomy side.

The FX40 has the better balance more detailed mids and has even a better bass end but don't have the stage of the FXC51s. More fuller sounding and detail and clarity on both are excellent. The FXC51 sound like a thinner wider version of the FX40 basically. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,271 of 100,635
Got my FX40s the other day, got ~30 hours on them so far. Was really disappointed at first but they seem to be developing nicely. At the moment, the amount of bass is perfect for me and the mids are quite forward and intimate which I like. Now just waiting for the highs and sibilance to calm down a bit. On some songs the sibilance is exaggerated so badly. Also I've noticed these handle male vocals better than female vocals IMO. Also I really like the build quality on these. Would definitely prefer a small strain relief but other than that they are great, perfect for wearing over the ear, really comfortable. The insertion depth is quite shallow compared to what I'm used though (with sony hybrids) so I find the isolation pretty poor.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,272 of 100,635
The HA-FXC51 is a microdriver IEM. Many have fit and/or comfort problems with it, as the hard driver enclosure goes into the ear canal. This result in better sounding highs, as the highs are reflected off the walls in the ear canal to a lesser degree than with traditional IEMs(which have the driver outside the ear canal). I tried swiching tips, however I still have fit and comfort issues with the HA-FXC51, so I rarely use it.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,275 of 100,635

Quote:

Welcome to these threads Bro,

The FX40 and FX101 are indeed great finds by Dsnuts, I'm still trying to get over how good they sound for what they cost.

For me, the next step in evolution were the CKS77(Bassy) and CKM500(Balance), totally different Audio Technica sound signature, (they were recommended by Dsnut) and I'm quickly becoming a fan of their house sound. The CKS77(US$52) and CKM500(US$70+) are above your budget but certainly worth every cents just as the JVC are in their price bracket.

I am contemplating picking up a pair of the cheaper CKM300(US$42) to see how far they are from the CKM500, you may want to consider them as well because they are within the budget you specified.

Thanks mate.

From what I've read, it seems the AT's are more like a refined version of the JVCs. Like I said, I love the sound of the FXs, but I want to try something without a V-sig, actually in this case more like an upside-down V sig. Which is why I'm listing a lower budget in case the signature doesn't suit me.

brainwavz m3

Yea, the M2 or M3 look great but can't find them in my price range. The M1 might be a possibility as are the VSonic GR99 and or GR02.

I guess I'm hoping for some feedback on those or any others guys have tried like the Brookstones (DDM clones) that I've heard good things about. Most of the guys in this thread have tried far more IEMs than I have, so a little expertise can't hurt :)

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #2,278 of 100,635
Quote:
Ya I love both them tracks much. They are both featured in A State of Trance . Armin Van Burren episode 527. Might be tougher to find but worth tracking down..I like testing my earphones on them tunes. I think I prefer the Florence Track with the FX40 and the MnS 64 track with the FX101. Both sound great.

On a side note the initial impressions that are coming in for the FXD80 is. Not good. Lol! We will see.

@sofastreamer The difference between the 2. The FXC51 sound more like an open headphone vs a closed in one that is the FX40. The FXC51 after the required burn in has great detail and nice wide stage for earphones. Sparkle in the highs with a nice airy laid back sound is the main feature of the FXC51. They do have a mild dip in the mid frequencies which is easily fixed with some eQ and the bass end while solid some might say is a bit on the boomy side.

The FX40 has the better balance more detailed mids and has even a better bass end but don't have the stage of the FXC51s. More fuller sounding and detail and clarity on both are excellent. The FXC51 sound like a thinner wider version of the FX40 basically. 

so the 40 has basically more highs and even more bass?

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #2,280 of 100,635
Just got my Philips SHE-3580 , damn these things have a nice bass :) Amazing sound from these things. Fitted them with the hybrid sony mid size tips.
My previous IME's were Shure SE115, which sound cheap in comparison.
Now I'm waiting for the TT Isuru to arrive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back