The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #19,816 of 102,864
  Thats great, thats is what im looking for. I want an engaging sound with nice highs, and some nice sub bass. I was thinking that the vsonic gr07 bass editions were going to be the perfect signature for me (i do enjoy the vsd1), but I guess I might as well wait for the pistons now. How do the pistons sound for EDM and dubstep? 

The Pistons are EDM monsters. The slightly boosted bass and treble are practically made for it.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #19,819 of 102,864
Thats great, thats is what im looking for. I want an engaging sound with nice highs, and some nice sub bass. I was thinking that the vsonic gr07 bass editions were going to be the perfect signature for me (i do enjoy the vsd1), but I guess I might as well wait for the pistons now. How do the pistons sound for EDM and dubstep? 

When I did my review of the Piston, I included dub step and EDM in my musical cross section, and the muscular ability of the low end, coupled with the wickedly tuned highs, made for perfect dub step, electronica, D & B listens. The sub bass is present, and the highs are dynamic. I completely chalk it up to really great tuning of those Beryllium drivers .

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #19,820 of 102,864
One other trait I find invaluable about the Piston is that I have a lot of RARE thrash metal albums ripped at 192. The rarity of then being that I won't be running into 320 files any time soon, but the Piston are so forgiving of lower bit rate files, that those 192 files sound freakin ' awesome with the Piston. Clear and sharp. Another plus.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #19,821 of 102,864
Hey guys, I'm back to post again, unfortunately today after approximately a year and some months, was the day my beloved HD439's died of driver failure (teared connection on driver unit) and of screw stripping disallowing permanent fixes to the problem
frown.gif
, I don't know whether I should just find a new pair of headphones or just try to replace every screw and piece of the headphone. anyone got any suggestions on fully sized headphones to replace them.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #19,822 of 102,864
Phillips Fidelio X1's might he worth considering for not too much. Love mine. They are semi open though.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #19,823 of 102,864
those who are bassheads and enjoy the fx3x they are $9.21 on FastTech.com . i want to order a pair but am unsure of their legitimacy. check it out and let me know if its a go if you own a pair that you can compare it to.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000991/1083600-ha-fx3x-xtreme-xplosives-xx-in-ear-treble-earphone

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #19,825 of 102,864
  the JVC FX3X are now available on FastTech for $9.21 shipped... are these better than the FX1X and the FX101s? about to pull the trigger but not 100% sure of their legitimacy despite their great reputation

I got them for $20, and frankly I was surprised by how good they are. Be prepared for lots of bass and generally a v-shaped signature. And although the bass is plentiful, it's pretty well controlled (but still a bit fatiguing to me after a while). For $9.21 shipped though? JUST DO IT! (or get the Pistons for $25 which will probably blow the fx3x's out of the water lol)

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #19,826 of 102,864

I got them for $20, and frankly I was surprised by how good they are. Be prepared for lots of bass and generally a v-shaped signature. And although the bass is plentiful, it's pretty well controlled (but still a bit fatiguing to me after a while). For $9.21 shipped though? JUST DO IT! (or get the Pistons for $25 which will probably blow the fx3x's out of the water lol)

are the pistons really that great though, i am willing to shell out $30 or whatever but i read alot of good about the fx3x in terms of how good they are for a basshead and also their durability... i need new iems for the gym as my incapsule 30015s are beginning to break in one ear. thanks for your input!

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #19,827 of 102,864
hey eric, when exactly will you be auditioning the ax-30/ax-35? technically i made an order through aliexpress but haven't paid for it yet so i was hoping to get your impressions before i plunked down the money, haha.

Won't have them until Monday at the earliest. Actually getting both from company to review them.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #19,829 of 102,864
  are the pistons really that great though, i am willing to shell out $30 or whatever but i read alot of good about the fx3x in terms of how good they are for a basshead and also their durability... i need new iems for the gym as my incapsule 30015s are beginning to break in one ear. thanks for your input!

Well, if you are truly a basshead, then the fx3x's definitely might fit the bill for you. And they are built like a tank (same with the cable). I have enjoyed them many times at the gym, although as I said, the bass can become a bit much for my wimpy ears.

Having said that, many people that I trust are saying that the Pistons are worth WAY more than their price and also have some great bass. I have no idea about their durability though.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #19,830 of 102,864
^ if they are real then it's an amazing price for them. How trust worthy is that site anyways???

This is how i rank them. :)

​
IEMs: MEElectronics M9< TDK MT-300 < Tt isurus < monoprice iem< Brainwavz beta v2 < JVC HA-FX101< Sennheiser CX250< Apple earpods< JVC HA-FX40 < RHA MA-350 = Philips SHE5105< JVC HA-FX3X< Corecool V2 = ATH CKS77X< JVC HA-FXD70< Phillips SHE9700< Sony MH1C < ATH CKN70< VSonic VC02 = JVC HA-FXD80 < VSonic VSD1 = Sony XB90EX = Zero Audio Basso < JVC FXZ200 < Sony XBA3 < VSonic GR07 BE ~ VSonic VSD1 LE (Limited Edition) = ATH CKS1000 <~ KEF M200

edit: it might seem they are not as good as the Sony XB90EX by a large margin according to my ranking (due to mostly personal bias/ preferences ) but they can more than hang with them. The FX3X is more V-shaped, brighter in the treble region and bass does not sound as refined as the 90EXs but it ain't that far behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back