The discovery thread!
Jun 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,906 of 100,286
Quote:
Well the one I have in mind is Audio Technicas Solid Bass WS55 which has a similar sound signature to the FX101.  You can read about them here. They aren't fold able but are built strong good isolation and truly one of the best sounds for portable headphones. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass#post_7678587

Quote:
Dsnuts, can you recommend any over the ear foldable headphones that have a similar sound signature to either of these JVC earphones? 
Thanks.

JVC MA-HA750  were absolute beasts for me before i cracked them in an overpacked suitcase.  Not sure if the are still made but outstanding bass and great mids and good treble.  Cracking set of over ears and wearable in public......... cant reccomend them more highly.  Comparable (but better sounding than the 101's).

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,909 of 100,286
Ok, here is my FX40 and FXT90 comparison. I first listened with the FXT90 so the FX40's faults could be highlighted. Listening was done at half volume on my iPhone 4 with files 256kbps and up.

Songs used:

Bullet from a Gun - The Script
Silent Knight - Versailles (Kiteki's speed test)
Limit to your Love - James Blake

Their sound signatures are virtually identical. I'm not going into extensive A/Bing, but I will say this: The FXT90 is a bit fuller. If you listen closely you can hear where the second driver refines the sound a bit. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it's about a 5-10% difference in refinement, and the FXT90 is ever so slightly faster. HOWEVER, to my surprise, the FX40 has more about 30 percent more subbass rumble than the FXT90.

If someone sent me both, I'd sell the T90 in a heartbeat. It's a better IEM for sure, but a $16 iem shouldn't have 90%of a $120 earphone's sound.

I'm sending Dsnuts my FXT90 to see if he hears it the way I do. @eric, I'd send you my FX40 too if my girl didn't already lay claim to it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,910 of 100,286
Interesting..I wonder if the single bigger driver attributes to the bigger sub bass. I will check them out myself as well. You would figure having 2 drivers there would be more sub bass on the FXT90.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,911 of 100,286
Interesting..I wonder if the single bigger driver attributes to the bigger sub bass. I will check them out myself as well. You would figure having 2 drivers there would be more sub bass on the FXT90.

Yeah, I figured the bigger driver has something to do with it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,912 of 100,286
Quote:
Ok, here is my FX40 and FXT90 comparison. I first listened with the FXT90 so the FX40's faults could be highlighted. Listening was done at half volume on my iPhone 4 with files 256kbps and up.
Songs used:
Their sound signatures are virtually identical. I'm not going into extensive A/Bing, but I will say this: The FXT90 is a bit fuller. If you listen closely you can hear where the second driver refines the sound a bit. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it's about a 5-10% difference in refinement, and the FXT90 is ever so slightly faster. HOWEVER, to my surprise, the FX40 has more about 30 percent more subbass rumble than the FXT90.
If someone sent me both, I'd sell the T90 in a heartbeat. It's a better IEM for sure, but a $16 iem shouldn't have 90%of a $120 earphone's sound.
I'm sending Dsnuts my FXT90 to see if he hears it the way I do. @eric, I'd send you my FX40 too if my girl didn't already lay claim to it.

Well, eke2k6, finally!! Interesting. Thanks for the offer (in your heart), but not I guess I will have to break down and purchase the FX40. I might as well use the condom money (excuse me, I mean the IEM856 money) that was refunded and try the fX40...lol. Thanks for the comparison eke2k6.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,913 of 100,286
Well, eke2k6, finally!! Interesting. Thanks for the offer (in your heart), but not I guess I will have to break down and purchase the FX40. I might as well use the condom money (excuse me, I mean the IEM856 money) that was refunded and try the fX40...lol. Thanks for the comparison eke2k6.

lol! no prob.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,914 of 100,286
Lol. Eric. Ya condom money. I am so happy they rejected my order. It is like a delayed April fools joke.Look forward to your take on these. For you guys that don't know. Eric posted a link for the Soche IEM856 which for some odd reason was being sold for $15 on Amazon. Long story short. Guys that purchased these $143 iems for the advertised $15 got a box of condoms instead. Nice joke. Lol!  I ended up getting in on an order only to be cancelled which I am glad that happened.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,915 of 100,286
Quote:
Lol. Eric. Ya condom money. I am so happy they rejected my order. It is like a delayed April fools joke.Look forward to your take on these. For you guys that don't know. Eric posted a link for the Soche IEM856 which for some odd reason was being sold for $15 on Amazon. Long story short. Guys that purchased these $143 iems for the advertised $15 got a box of condoms instead. Nice joke. Lol!  I ended up getting in on an order only to be cancelled which I am glad that happened.

LOL...Dsnuts, you lucky (censored). But at least I can give the ladies ecstasy now (so there!)... 
ksc75smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,916 of 100,286

Pshh. I'm glad they did it. I got free condoms for my trouble.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,917 of 100,286
Songs used:

Thanks for the comparison. The FXT90 had been on my list to check out at some point, but since I already have the FX40, it may be better to skip the FXT90. I may still check out the Vsonic GR07 at some point, if the next iem's I look to purchase don't turn out that good.

I'm glad they cancelled my order before getting to the "rubber" stage. But one of the BA - Dynamic hybrids will be next on my iem agenda to check out.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,919 of 100,286
Quote:
Thanks for the early impressions Jeff. From your impressions of them FX3X. I think it was worth the cash to get them. From what your describing they sound like the tuning that is on the FX101s. Can't wait to try them out..

You know what is funny. The FX40s that you demoed I am willing to bet you have zero burn time. The ones I have now have no piercing highs at all and these are prone to be sharper sounding on open box and are very dependent on burn and proper fit for proper sound. They mellow out crazy with a big burn and start to sound much like a less refined CKM500.

Hey did you ever receive the FX3X yet? I'm very curious to hear how they compare to the FX101 in your opinion. As I get more time with the FX3X, I'm finding they can be understandably slightly V-shaped at times. If the FX101 lean more toward neutral comparatively, I'd be very interested in going through the trouble of getting a pair from the states.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,920 of 100,286
It's quite frustrating, I really didn't want to believe eke's comparison as the FXT90's were my first real babies in terms of IEMs, but after comparing the FX40's side by side with them, much of what he says aligns with what I heard. I tried and tried to discern true, quantifiable differences, but I got to the point where I thought that if I had to try this much to discern differences, they really must not be that different from each other. I'm considering putting my FXT90's up for sale, or give them to my Dad, who really enjoyed their sound. Hell, maybe even give him the FX40's since he's a value-minded person. :p

I wonder what's closer, though, that the FX40's are of that awesome value and my FXT90's are still worthy of their tier of sound, or if my FXT90's are simply not cutting it as much as I think they are; I really really want to hear a TF10, GR07, MDT etc. so that I can establish a healthy range of what a good ~$100-200 IEM sounds like. The woes of inexperience. Ignorance was bliss for a while. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back