The discovery thread!
Jun 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,921 of 100,286
It's quite frustrating, I really didn't want to believe eke's comparison as the FXT90's were my first real babies in terms of IEMs, but after comparing the FX40's side by side with them, much of what he says aligns with what I heard. I tried and tried to discern true, quantifiable differences, but I got to the point where I thought that if I had to try this much to discern differences, they really must not be that different from each other. I'm considering putting my FXT90's up for sale, or give them to my Dad, who really enjoyed their sound. Hell, maybe even give him the FX40's since he's a value-minded person. :p

I wonder what's closer, though, that the FX40's are of that awesome value and my FXT90's are still worthy of their tier of sound, or if my FXT90's are simply not cutting it as much as I think they are; I really really want to hear a TF10, GR07, MDT etc. so that I can establish a healthy range of what a good ~$100-200 IEM sounds like. The woes of inexperience. Ignorance was bliss for a while. :p

Sorry about that man. I don't feel like the FXT90 deserves the praise it's been getting (that goes for a few others too).

I've followed your posts and I feel like the GR07 is right up your alley. There's one on the FS forum right now for $120 with a bunch of extra tips. Buy it and listen to it sid by side with your FXT90 to see if it's something you want. Or, better yet, grab a pair of the CKM500. They're cheaper and sound great, regardless of price. Heck, you could even help me replace my motherboard by buying mine...:xf_eek:

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,922 of 100,286
Quote:
It's quite frustrating, I really didn't want to believe eke's comparison as the FXT90's were my first real babies in terms of IEMs, but after comparing the FX40's side by side with them, much of what he says aligns with what I heard. I tried and tried to discern true, quantifiable differences, but I got to the point where I thought that if I had to try this much to discern differences, they really must not be that different from each other. I'm considering putting my FXT90's up for sale, or give them to my Dad, who really enjoyed their sound. Hell, maybe even give him the FX40's since he's a value-minded person. :p

I wonder what's closer, though, that the FX40's are of that awesome value and my FXT90's are still worthy of their tier of sound, or if my FXT90's are simply not cutting it as much as I think they are; I really really want to hear a TF10, GR07, MDT etc. so that I can establish a healthy range of what a good ~$100-200 IEM sounds like. The woes of inexperience. Ignorance was bliss for a while. :p

I learned the long way. There is more to sound than value for $. If you are constantly chasing value for sound, you're going to be chasing for a long time. I did. Use the value purchases to find the signature that moves you, then explore the better phones in that arena.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,923 of 100,286
I went in the opposite direction. I owned a multitude of IEM's ranging from $100.00 running upwards of $600.00 and am now happy with a pair of $20.00 IEM's. They sound good, are uncomplicated, comfortable, lightweight, fit and seal well with included tips. If they break, no biggie, except for having to burn-in another pair.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,924 of 100,286
Quote:

I learned the long way. There is more to sound than value for $. If you are constantly chasing value for sound, you're going to be chasing for a long time. I did. Use the value purchases to find the signature that moves you, then explore the better phones in that arena.

Oh I love the signature of both the phones, (they appear to be the same, after all, to my ears) it's just that I expected that the FXT90's would outperform  these cheaper ones, by being the "better" phone in the same arena, as you mentioned.

Though you are correct in that my journey through signatures has been narrow. I've been looking for the signature I THINK I like rather than one that I know and love by experience. Thus the search continues.

Sorry about that man. I don't feel like the FXT90 deserves the praise it's been getting (that goes for a few others too).
I've followed your posts and I feel like the GR07 is right up your alley. I'd be happy to send you mine to listen if I hadn't sold them last week.

Lol it took your post to incite me to really challenge my presumptions, so in a way, I thank you. I'd love the try the GR07, but I'm not ready to commit to another $100+ purchase yet. I need to just go to one of these bay area head-fi meets sometime...

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,925 of 100,286
Well, I stil  like the FXT90 sound, but I just want to hear this cheap JVC  that could...

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,926 of 100,286
Quote:
Well, I stil  like the FXT90 sound, but I just want to hear this cheap JVC  that could...

For sure, both IEMs are very capable. I'm interested to see |joker|'s thoughts into how these compare, as he's mentioned that he actually didn't like the signature of the FX40's while praising the FXT90's. Perhaps my ears are just not as well-tuned as his are, or we simply do not hear the same.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,927 of 100,286
Ignorance is bli$$.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,928 of 100,286

It may just be a case of sour grapes for me (I waited a very long time to hear them), but I'm not all that impressed by them. Also, the fact that the FX40 performs so darn close doesn't help them at all in my eyes.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,929 of 100,286
you know the one thing i discovered about sound is to just enjoy what you have. I think I know how your feeling vaed. I have had that same not so fresh feeling on several purchases myself where after buying a much more expensive earphone a cheapo shows up and sounds just as good. Heck these jvcs will do just that.

But the one thing you guys have to understand is while we have 5 cheapos on this thread that all sound much more  than what we spend on them. These are definitely not the norm. The fact is most cheapos are not gonna come close to the sound these have.While 5 earphones seem a lot for one thread. There are hundreds of others in this price range that are just crap or average at best. 

These are the exceptions. It does kinda throws a wrench in how things are supposed to be. I would just accept it and just enjoy them for what they are. And if you do that, happiness should happen. That is untill the next big earphone discovery. Lol.

The way these Japanese manufactures are stepping up with great sound for the bucks. The rest of the world should follow suit. Which only means we should expect better sounding stuff for our cash sooner than later.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #1,930 of 100,286
Here's my take. I, unlike Eke, really like the FXT90's.I think the way they present the sound is fantastic. I also think that they're not similar to the FX40s. The FXT90's have a strong mid bass hump that doesn't really exist on the FX40(I prefer the more balanced bass approach on the FX40s). But the texture and detailing on the bass is definitely better on the FXT90s. The mids on the FXT90 are much fuller and cleaner. More importantly, although neither IEM has a very wide soundstage, the FXT90 seems to have a great depth perception. And the highs on the FXT90 are just fantastic. I honestly think they do cymbals and horns better than the Gr07. It's one of my favorite jazz IEMs and I'll admit, I am probably biased towards the FXT90's sound signature. 

Don't get me wrong though, I think the FX40 is fantastic. It should have been a 50-60 dollar IEM. Personally, I think the FX40 and the Monoprice 8320 are Dsnuts greatest finds. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,931 of 100,286
Quote:
Here's my take. I, unlike Eke, really like the FXT90's.I think the way they present the sound is fantastic. I also think that they're not similar to the FX40s. The FXT90's have a strong mid bass hump that doesn't really exist on the FX40(I prefer the more balanced bass approach on the FX40s). But the texture and detailing on the bass is definitely better on the FXT90s. The mids on the FXT90 are much fuller and cleaner. More importantly, although neither IEM has a very wide soundstage, the FXT90 seems to have a great depth perception. And the highs on the FXT90 are just fantastic. I honestly think they do cymbals and horns better than the Gr07. It's one of my favorite jazz IEMs and I'll admit, I am probably biased towards the FXT90's sound signature. 

Don't get me wrong though, I think the FX40 is fantastic. It should have been a 50-60 dollar IEM. Personally, I think the FX40 and the Monoprice 8320 are Dsnuts greatest finds. 

To satiate my curiosity, do you think it would be much trouble to post some tracks where you feel the differences are most apparent? I would appreciate it.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,932 of 100,286
I've been following this thread and impressions seem to have turned for the FX40. Is it now better than the 101 for bass? I was leaning towards getting the 101 for the more fun and extra bass factor as the FX40 sounded more treble focused. But now I've read a few people stating the FX40 rivals the FT90!
blink.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,933 of 100,286

Maybe my time with the ASG-1 has corrupted me, but I really don't hear a mid-bass bump on the FXT90. Like I said, it sounds a touch fuller than the FX40, something I think is because of the other driver.

I've been drumming since the age of 6, and I've never heard an iem that does cymbals better than the GR07...especially not the FXT90. One of the things that turns me off is the splashiness of the treble. The natural decay isn't there in the treble, and I'm hearing the mids on the T90 to be a touch more recessed than on the FX40, even though it's a bit more fleshed out.

Point me to a song, and I'll be glad to listen for the things you mentioned.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,934 of 100,286
Can someone describe how the FX40 sound compares to the SHE3580? I recently got the SHE and although I enjoy the amount of bass with the right music, and they'll probably become my gym phones, for usual listening I prefer slightly less bass and more foreward mids. I listen to woodied Grados at home if that gives you an idea of the sound I like.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,935 of 100,286
Quote:
Can someone describe how the FX40 sound compares to the SHE3580? I recently got the SHE and although I enjoy the amount of bass with the right music, and they'll probably become my gym phones, for usual listening I prefer slightly less bass and more foreward mids. I listen to woodied Grados at home if that gives you an idea of the sound I like.

You need to try a MP8320.. The sound on the FX40 is a bit more on the lean side while being more detailed but has great sub bass. These don't have a mid bass hump which there is a bit of on the SHE3580.. Out of the 2 JVC earphones the FX101 has the more fuller mids and the bass is very tame for being the bassier of the 2 earphones. But from what you described. You need to get the MP8320.. It is exactly what you want. The only issue with them is they are on the big side housing wise using 14.2mm drivers. And they do require better tips for the sound to be full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back