The discovery thread!
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #18,811 of 100,846
  It looks like the "professional tuned" Havi B3 that I have is no longer being offered it seems. Bummer.

They have a new version though, which may be what people will be getting.

From their Taobao page:

Buyers Please Note: 
color]
B3 is four dynamic headphones, which is double-sided dynamic headphones. The latest version of the B3 combines ie80 in low and loud sound field and layering tf10, the overall sense of hearing powerful bass, tenor vocals solid, mellow treble, the overall sound of the sound field broad, rich in detail, strong sense of hierarchy, dynamic and strong shake!

It looks like they boosted the bass a bit, upped the mids, and rolled off the treble extension, a la RE-400 style. It is probably still great, but now I need to find out the differences.

I ordered last weekend and unfortunately the seller only knows of one version. The seller is from aliexpress and gave me this reply:

1. Jacky Chen:​
    19:23 Jan 10,2014

Friends, manufacturers say that at present only one version of HAVI B3

2.  ​
     ​
    Me:​
    06:46 Jan 10,2014​

Hi,

I'm about to purchase this item but I want to make sure that this is the Professional version. My friend told me that there are 2 versions of this earphone but I only want the PRO version.

Please advise.

Cheers!

Mark

Reply about this product
    About this product:
    HAVI B3 for MP3 player music in-ear Earphone Professional Topquality comparable IE80 IE-80 Hifi Wire Noise Cancelling h...

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #18,812 of 100,846
I went through another vendor. I messaged this dude and he gave me one heck of a shady answer, like he was just saying what I wanted to hear. Aliexpress coudn't ship to WA anyways, so I went through a different vendor. Jackie Chen? Jackie Chan? heh

I ordered last weekend and unfortunately the seller only knows of one version. The seller is from aliexpress and gave me this reply:

1. Jacky Chen:​
    19:23 Jan 10,2014

2.  ​
     ​
    Me:​
    06:46 Jan 10,2014​

Hi,

I'm about to purchase this item but I want to make sure that this is the Professional version. My friend told me that there are 2 versions of this earphone but I only want the PRO version.

Please advise.

Cheers!

Mark

Reply about this product

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #18,814 of 100,846
ugomark is the way to go. aliexpress is so damn sketchy. they sell all the fake IEMs. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #18,815 of 100,846
  ugomark is the way to go. aliexpress is so damn sketchy. they sell all the fake IEMs. 

I haven't ordered anything through Aliexpress, seeing as it is both inconvenient and rather pointless since I'm in China, but I have to agree with you there -- Aliexpress has a lot of fakes...kinda like Taobao (though its subsidiary TMall says otherwise)

Also, about this:

Actually, I think he is referring to the HAVI website at havi.hk. I took a look there, and indeed, there was no mention of any "Enhanced" or "Professional" model of the B3. However, there were unfinished product pages refrring to two future models called the B6 and B9. This obviously hints at newer models releasing in the future, but I would like to hypothesize that the B6 might actually be the "Pro" B3. Of course, even I think I'm saying nonsense, but who knows?

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #18,816 of 100,846
Hey Guys, been awhile. So apparently, Audio Technica is bringing audiophile grade headsets into the gamer market. Which I think is a great step forward, lots of gamers are willing to pay for good quality audio gear but there's just not much choice on the market.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=yWnTUo71JcWJrQeP84HwAw&url=http://audio-technica.com.au/products/gamers/ath-ag1/&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHMst0RSmGjCmr2MwxUIU67GQzjNQ&sig2=lEf6YPJ4z_ivs6pm7Xd6Mg

Since both Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have also released gaming headsets (with Sennheiser releasing two new ones, the G4ME Zero and One), I think that the gaming headset market is opening up a lot. Of course, one could always just buy a pair of great headphones and a mic, but a lot of gamers (especially the non-audiophile types) just want it all in one package, so this is good. Really good. 

...Although I have to say, all of the those headsets (Senns, Beyers, and ATHs) are pretty expensive...
frown.gif
 My poor wallet...

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #18,817 of 100,846
Agreed. The AG1 sells for upwards of $250, which would be acceptable if it was a completely new model. But it's a rebranded A900x, I'd rather get one and a slap a decent mic on it.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #18,818 of 100,846
amazon.jp has the Zero Audio Doppio NEW for $130.00. If they ship to the States, then this would be one of the best deals I can think of?

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #18,820 of 100,846
So after some time listening to multiple sources and amps, the Piston 2.0 doesn't sound it's best on the X3. The X3 limits the Piston sonically, closes in the soundstage, and really doesn't present the bass as clear as it should. Now coupled with the Sony NWZ and the FiiO E11 amp, they really open up, present a wider soundstage, the bass is punchier and more rounded, and the highs are airier. The whole sonic presentation is airier. The Sansa Fuze with E11 amp and FLAC appeared to be similar to the X3, providing the sound with more grain, and less control over the bass. Highs were presented nicely, with brightness and good decay time, but again, more closed in sound. On the iPod Touch 4, with E11, the Piston really open up and shine!! It's like they were begging to be coupled with an iPod sound chip. The airyness becomes absolutely lush, and the bass deep and articulate. The mids move forward to line up nicely with the crisp and clean highs. Soundstage getting so wide that it sounded like I had cans on. I'm spending a little time listening to Mad Season - Above with the Piston with the Touch. Absolutely $200 sound from $20.00 IEMs. This leads me to believe the Piston are very source sensitive and amp malleable. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #18,821 of 100,846
  So after some time listening to multiple sources and amps, the Piston 2.0 doesn't sound it's best on the X3. The X3 limits the Piston sonically, closes in the soundstage, and really doesn't present the bass as clear as it should. Now coupled with the Sony NWZ and the FiiO E11 amp, they really open up, present a wider soundstage, the bass is punchier and more rounded, and the highs are airier. The whole sonic presentation is airier. The Sansa Fuze with E11 amp and FLAC appeared to be similar to the X3, providing the sound with more grain, and less control over the bass. Highs were presented nicely, with brightness and good decay time, but again, more closed in sound. On the iPod Touch 4, with E11, the Piston really open up and shine!! It's like they were begging to be coupled with an iPod sound chip. The airyness becomes absolutely lush, and the bass deep and articulate. The mids move forward to line up nicely with the crisp and clean highs. Soundstage getting so wide that it sounded like I had cans on. I'm spending a little time listening to Mad Season - Above with the Piston with the Touch. Absolutely $200 sound from $20.00 IEMs. This leads me to believe the Piston are very source sensitive and amp malleable. 

I agree. I don't have an amp, but after listening to them from my three sources (PC Line-Out, Android phone, and iPod), the iPod sounded the best out of all of them. It's like they were made for these earphones, or rather tuned with iPods in mind.

EDIT: Your mention of the E11 just made me blew my cap. I really need to buy an amp right now, but I'm torn between the E11, the E12, and the C&C BH2 (another Chinese-made amp). The E11 is about half the price of the E12 and the BH2, which is super-cheap, so I might want to buy that. But the E12 is kind of an upgrade to the E11, and it looks really good. The BH2 was lauded for its impressive battery life (which I don't think I need given the usage environment). So if any of you have testd these amps, which would you prefer? Thanks!

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #18,822 of 100,846
  I agree. I don't have an amp, but after listening to them from my three sources (PC Line-Out, Android phone, and iPod), the iPod sounded the best out of all of them. It's like they were made for these earphones, or rather tuned with iPods in mind.

EDIT: Your mention of the E11 just made me blew my cap. I really need to buy an amp right now, but I'm torn between the E11, the E12, and the C&C BH2 (another Chinese-made amp). The E11 is about half the price of the E12 and the BH2, which is super-cheap, so I might want to buy that. But the E12 is kind of an upgrade to the E11, and it looks really good. The BH2 was lauded for its impressive battery life (which I don't think I need given the usage environment). So if any of you have testd these amps, which would you prefer? Thanks!

Absolutely agree. Out of all of those sources and my PC, the iPod won hands down. Not even close. So I think it was tuned with ipods in mind too. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #18,823 of 100,846
  Absolutely agree. Out of all of those sources and my PC, the iPod won hands down. Not even close. So I think it was tuned with ipods in mind too. 

i've never tested the C&C, but i have tested the FiiO E5, E6, E10, E11, and E12. The E11 is hands down the best value. It's an impressive amp for the price, improved soundstage, clarity, and best of all is the only one out of all of these that has a protected volume knob, both high and low gain. and three different bass boost settings. The others, including the E12 DON'T have this feature, and the battery life on low gain lasts 8 hours of continuous use, and 5 hours on high gain. It's the one amp I've refused to sell off, and i won't ever sell. Plus the casing pops right off, so you can replace the battery if you end up having battery issues in the future. Get the E11. You won't regret it. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #18,825 of 100,846
Personally, I found the E11 a bit pointless, and it was only after getting the BH that I realised what an amp can really do. The bass boost is all the E11 has to offer; the amp doesn't enhance clarity or soundstage, it just enables you to get more volume. The BH, on the other hand, with its two outputs, lets you choose between a warmer and a clearer sound, and the switches let you modify bass and soundstage. The battery lasts forever, and you can use it while charging, which isn't the case with the E11. I highly recommend it over the E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back