The discovery thread!
Jan 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #18,782 of 100,720
I was referring to the actual cord on the MH1Cs. The thick noodle. the thickest I have ever come across. I bet if left in a cold garage for a night they could very well stay the shape of whatever configure they were in over night forever..I have no idea how they can put that much attention to sound design yet come out with that cord design. The cord of the MH1s can have a thread unto it's own.. The trial and tribulations of the MH1 cord thread..I think the 2nd most unruly cord would be on the R3s. So thick they look like the wires on a Drs. Stethoscope.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #18,783 of 100,720
As for the TF10 tips, you can buy them directly from Logitech. You can buy packs in a certain size too. They charge for shipping also which isn't cheap but if you register and leave the tips in your cart for a day or two, they'll send you an email offering free shipping. Not sure if this works all the time but I've had it happen twice so worth a try.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #18,784 of 100,720
Waiting for the playoffs to start this morning, listening to the Monster Gratitudes through a Dragonfly Dac v1.0 and Ray Samuels SR-71 amp (about 15 years old) is an AMAZING EXPERIENCE.
didn't amp the Gratitudes before now , and i am totally impressed with the results. Pace and rhythm totally flowing, drums realistic  and percussive(and i do african drumming!) and synthesizers cosmic
in COSMOGENISIS album from Peak Records. for sixty bucks these were the bargain masterpiece of 2013. sound worthy five times more....if any of you haven't picked up one of the close out 60 ones on
amazon i highly recommend you grab one before they are all gone and AMP IT for a spectacular result!!!!!

ps  anyone out there have any experience listening to the upgraded dragonfly dad v 1.2??  its getting rave reviews on other hi fi sites as a major improvement over the v1.0 which was the stereophile budget component of the year last year 2012 and is indeed an amazing  sound device...and the new version is 100$ less also......just wondering if anyones actually heard music through it???
of course still waiting for my GEEK PLUS to arrive as is everyone who ordered one out there.....

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #18,785 of 100,720
Of course not-don't you know it's a contest, whoever collects the most stuff, wins:D

Ah.. hoarding! The final step on the path towards perfect consumerism!

I just look at it as my contribution to reviving our poor, dragging consumer economy (Hey, somebody has to do it!!!)

As far as the X3 and DX50, DS is absolutely right about the X3 having some internal coloration (?grammar...minus 1 point) that doesn't play well with every headphone, and the DX50 is a good way to round out source options as it is colored differently (don't have it, just what I read). To risk a retread of what we went through about 500 pages ago, my solution to this is to use the X3 with an external amp most of the time (the ALO National). The amp section of the X3 is the part that has the coloration, bypassing it to a more neutral amp does the same thing. Of course, there are plusses and minuses to either approach. the DAP/Amp combo is more bulky, not as elegant as the 1 unit solution. On the other hand, having more DAPS means feeding more DAPS with the same music (if you want the same music available on both)...not sure if you can just transfer SD cards, that would make that part easier. Also, the amp does improve sound on headphones that can scale up, even if they do sound good just from a DAP. Headphones that need more oomph to drive them definitely benefit from the addition of the amp. Ya picks your poison.

This guy is great...got this on the player, iPod touch/National/Martin Logan Mikros 90. He puts together incredible mixes of music to rap over, amazing. (the iPod touch is my dog walking go to, and other situations that I want shuffle and good screen visibility (2 things I don't find the X3 to do well for me).

Another great random track from my walk

One last great random track from my walk, love that shuffle, things I don't remember I have, or just never got to for some reason, show up and I find things I had all the time but didn't know it, don't even have to buy anything:dt880smile:

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #18,786 of 100,720
Waiting for the playoffs to start this morning, listening to the Monster Gratitudes through a Dragonfly Dac v1.0 and Ray Samuels SR-71 amp (about 15 years old) is an AMAZING EXPERIENCE.
didn't amp the Gratitudes before now , and i am totally impressed with the results. Pace and rhythm totally flowing, drums realistic  and percussive(and i do african drumming!) and synthesizers cosmic
in COSMOGENISIS album from Peak Records. for sixty bucks these were the bargain masterpiece of 2013. sound worthy five times more....if any of you haven't picked up one of the close out 60 ones on
amazon i highly recommend you grab one before they are all gone and AMP IT for a spectacular result!!!!!

ps  anyone out there have any experience listening to the upgraded dragonfly dad v 1.2??  its getting rave reviews on other hi fi sites as a major improvement over the v1.0 which was the stereophile budget component of the year last year 2012 and is indeed an amazing  sound device...and the new version is 100$ less also......just wondering if anyones actually heard music through it???
of course still waiting for my GEEK PLUS to arrive as is everyone who ordered one out there.....

Went to Youtube to hear Cosmogenisis, very interesting, think you may have cost me some bucks.
I'd second the Gratitudes again (been on them since they were marked down), just bought me a second pair as my 20 year old daughter laid claim to my first pair :cool:

Another track for your listening pleasure...

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #18,787 of 100,720
OK, enough foolishness, gotta get down to serious business, almost time for the playoff games to begin!!!!

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #18,788 of 100,720

Ya the majority of the guys on this thread probably owned these or tried them at one point. Especially since they were rated highly from Joker and ClieoS.. Our thread here moves on quick..I think current budget earphones everyone is interested on here are the Xaomi Piston 2.0s.

The MH1s were and still are great for the price. Them Cords though are unruly but nice sounding none the less.

indeed!  my piston 2.0 are on the way , as well as the Havi B3....couldnt resist, itchy trigger finger...and ears.  although not budget but a fantastic deal at 175.00 when discounted, 
the sony mdr 7550 are my reference ism for natural monitor sound. almost perfect. a lot more expensive but you can find them discounted
to that good price every now and then.  they are a tweaked version of the mer 1000s with less sibilant highs and plastic instead of metal case.
they are fine example of sony engineers at their best creating a master ism...i keep them in a special place in my house in fact with my treasure level
gear.

As the Who sang many years ago, "I Wan' it, I Wan' it, I Wan' it"...See the Sonys for about $210 used...worthy purchase?

(last music post for now, I promise, not the same Who song, but a FABULOUS cover)

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #18,789 of 100,720
  Actually I think Wayne is perhaps the strongest willed out of all of us. See he is smart in waiting for a phone to go hyper space, lets a bunch of people buy the phone, wait till the majority agrees on the sound and then he pulls the trigger. That is smart. I need to do more of this myself. But I am weak willed like so many of us.. Weak I say! I want to be more like Wayne.

beerchug.gif

Or just the poorest haha
I'm sure everyone would like the jump on the hype train right away and get it moving

Yeah "poorest" is closer to the truth lol. When I "discovered" this thread in Oct 2012, the "dsnuts" (and "ericp10", and "dannybai") effect was in full force. My will was not so strong then. No will at all actually. No resistance. Nadda!

But it eventually led me to having a set of iems and headphones that I am really happy with. I really love the M200's, H200's and CKS1000's (and also the VSD1LE's). For me, they are all awesome and they truly satisfy me. And they all have different signatures, so this helps with the "I need to hear something new" feeling that at first was always compelling me to buy something new. And as long as I can avoid ever auditioning iems like the 1P2, I should be able to remain content in mid-fi land.

So now I can bide my time more and wait for the dust to settle on new iems. The added benefit is that you can often get them used but in perfect condition for great prices. A bit of a risk because they can't be returned, but I haven't been stung yet.

Me, danny, carlsan, skillet, and Eric have enjoyed the sound of the h-3 so far. Wayne didn't budge!

It's up to you to stop Waynes frugal behavior with his wallet!

Don't worry vlenbo, they do tend to always succeed at parting money from my wallet in the end lol. And the H3 is one that I am very intersted in :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #18,791 of 100,720
I know this is the discovery thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help out regarding my equipment (I trust the opinion of a lot of people in here). Now I currently use a Xonar DG on my PC to listen to music and whatnot but I want something better. I was looking at the Xonar STX but found that it wouldn't give good results with lower impedance gear with it having a high output impedance so I was just wondering if there was any recommendations for a small amp/DAC that can power say 16-32Ω IEMs as well as ~250Ω headphones? Now I know I'm using it on my desktop PC but I'd prefer something with a smaller footprint. 

I can go up to about £150 GBP, maybe a little more if something's really worth the extra. Any ideas?

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #18,792 of 100,720
It looks like the "professional tuned" Havi B3 that I have is no longer being offered it seems. Bummer.

They have a new version though, which may be what people will be getting.

From their Taobao page:

Buyers Please Note: 
color]
B3 is four dynamic headphones, which is double-sided dynamic headphones. The latest version of the B3 combines ie80 in low and loud sound field and layering tf10, the overall sense of hearing powerful bass, tenor vocals solid, mellow treble, the overall sound of the sound field broad, rich in detail, strong sense of hierarchy, dynamic and strong shake!

It looks like they boosted the bass a bit, upped the mids, and rolled off the treble extension, a la RE-400 style. It is probably still great, but now I need to find out the differences.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #18,793 of 100,720
i think they're actually shipping the astrotec ax30/35 hybrids now. anyone gonna jump on them? from what google translate says, seems initial response is that they're good for the money but maybe not up to the expectations most people had.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #18,794 of 100,720
  i think they're actually shipping the astrotec ax30/35 hybrids now. anyone gonna jump on them? from what google translate says, seems initial response is that they're good for the money but maybe not up to the expectations most people had.

I have the AX35 on the way. Reviews are mixed, but then again, not too many general public reviewers seek reference flat signatures.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #18,795 of 100,720
I asked for the Pro version specifically, which might be why it's taking so long to ship? It's ok. I got my Nuforce here tomorrow, and the DUNU by the end of the week. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back