The discovery thread!
Nov 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #16,698 of 100,063
Nov 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #16,699 of 100,063
Nov 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #16,701 of 100,063

You know what I've discovered?? I've discovered I need to keep the heck away from this forum! I decided to make a list of the headphones I've bought in the last couple of months...

Kef M500
Beyerdynamic DT-660
Superlux HD-681 EVO
Panasonic HT480C
Koss DJ100
V-Moda M-80
AT WS55X
AT ES700
JVC HA-S660
Pioneer HDJ1500
Monster Gratitude
Brainwavz Delta
AKG K545
Takstar HD5500 (in transit)
UE6000 (delivering today)

I've probably forgotten something too. This place is eeeevil! That's not counting the X3, O2 or Geek Pulse either.

Can you tell me how the ES700, WS55X, Beyerdybamic, and Gratitudes compare? I know it's a lot to ask, but I have the Gratitudes and I've been considering all those headphones. If you could throw the AKGs in the comparison that would be great as well.

Love this list, afraid to compile my own, but maybe one of these days. Have been considering AKG K550, which have dropped at times into the $150 or so range, get great write ups. With all the over/on ear headphones I've accumulated over the past few months, time off would be appropriate. Have been really liking the Senn Momentums (also dropping in price of late)

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #16,703 of 100,063
  The shape looks like the SK Titans, and a slough of other OEMed stuff.

$10 though, let me know how it works out.

Tightwad. Pony up the 10 bucks
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #16,705 of 100,063
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #16,707 of 100,063

These things sound amazing ya'll.. I got them today and I have to say I was expecting a nice sounding can and I got more than that..These have the one thing going on for them that none of these closed cans can say they have. That open stage is very audible. I can tell Yamaha tuned these with the velours in mind. Comfort of these things are just awesome.. They barely have a clamp yet they sit perfectly on the ear. These would be for guys that hate anything on the ear. These are more comfy than most in ears. Lol.. They feel like soft pillows on the head.

Imaging is spot on and depending on recording the sound stage can be airy and vast. Exactly what an open can should sound like..Two things that stand out on the sound. These are proper open cans for one but the other is how high end they sound to my ears..These have sparkly extended treble..Sweet defined mids that stand out for vocals and a bass end that is perfect for this sound..These sound kinda like an open back ES700 to my ears with even better imaging..Clarity is outstanding and imaging about as good as your gonna get with smaller 40mm drivers..Bass end is excellent for a smaller open can. A very complete sounding portable that gives out a sound that has nothing to do with the way they look..

I tried both the DX50 and the X3 and both daps sound excellent on them but I have to give the edge to the X3 for bringing out a bit of extra depth to this sound. Another surprise. I threw on the WS55 pads I had on the ES700 and they ended up sounding more fuller but lost a bit of imaging and separation because of it so the the velours are what these cans sound best with.. A very nice open portable that will surprise many that get them..Will burn them in a bit more and see where they go..So far these have more than met my expectations of them.

Don't let them plane jane looks fool you..Sure they might leak some sound but who cares when you get that open stage happening. Can't wait to try this with some games. I think these will make perfect gaming cans..

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #16,708 of 100,063
Nice Ds! And I for one think they look great as well. Want'em!

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #16,709 of 100,063
DS: Couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on the Yamahas, they are making their way to these forsaken parts. Hopefully I'll be listening to these babies by the end of the month.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #16,710 of 100,063
nice review DS, sounds like a true discovery!   interesting comparison with the es700s, which i have been listening
to RANDOM RAB S  new fantastic album RELEASE (available thru band camp) every morning. i can imagine
what a more open sound might be, so might have to discover these myself. still wondering how you would compare them
to the A900X or AD900X...do they they have an AT like sound or is a different  Yamaha sound, whatever that would be?
ps the price of these keeps inching up on amazon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back