The discovery thread!
Nov 6, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #16,411 of 100,435
Moe Review:
While I wasn’t able to listen to the FXT90, I did give the SS01 a quick and dirty A/B against the venerable VSD1 and VSD1S. While both models are technically more affordable, both are said to punch way above their price bracket. So here’s something: in my 5 minute mini-stint with them, neither the VSD1 or VSD1S came away near as good as the SS01 in terms of detail, clarity, and overall balance. Both models sound lacking in midrange and lower treble detail compared to the SS01, and while the VSD1S has a tamer, tauter bass shelf, it doesn’t allow the midrange to be more revealing. The impressive part about the bass response of the SS01 is that even though it has that typical, spongy, bouncy mid-bassy sound, it doesn’t intrude into the midrange. Unfortunately, there is a slightly hollow feel to the bass, which may take some time to get used to if you’re used to a full, dense bass response (think 1Plus2 style).

You guys might really want to end up getting on this.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #16,412 of 100,435

Nah, the VSD1 and VSD1S are pretty good in the clarity and detail department. I've even compared them with er4s and b2 on the hi-res binaural Amber Rubarth album and all the little stuff like the chairs cracking, someone opening doors in the background etc was there. Of course, I haven't heard the SS01 but for the vsonics to not be near to its performance means that the SS01 should be at around ety, gr07's level of performance, which I somehow doubt. 
Anyway, both VSD1 and VSD1S are relatively forgiving though, so they might not be as aggressive in presenting details as some other iems but that's a matter of personal preference and I try to take that factor out of the equation when comparing stuff coz it can make one bash on stuff that is technically just as good or even better as the product he's hyping just because he doesn't like the former's presentation or signature.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #16,413 of 100,435
  I hadn't the hindsight nor the resources to try them out with anything other than the Walkman/Discman at the time, so my impressions were of a slight U-shape (even then, the midrange was rather good). They are ridiculously sensitive, I'm not sure what the impedance curve looks like myself.

I'm positive that they'd sound radically different if I had the Clip Zip available (they were out because the 64GB microSD I had in there got corrupted and it took a month before I got out of my stupor and replaced it), the DAC1 had been gone for months so Walkman it had been.

OK, thank you. As mentioned some post back I found a great solution with my X3 so I'm happy at the moment 
gs1000.gif

I'm afraid that your right. Availability seems to be a problem so far though.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #16,414 of 100,435
Doesn't the X3 have an uber-low OI (I've not followed up on that thread too). Seems their proper sig is supposed to be mid-centric with low output impedance.
Anyways, glad to hear you liking them. The 600, 700, all need some well-deserved loving.

And I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but the Aurvana 3's price has dropped tremendously this year, you lucky son-of-a-guns. Way more than what I paid for years ago. I grabbed a couple in March, and I'm about to grab a couple of more, these are fantastic IEMs for gifts, easy sound to get into, great feel/build and ergonomics. A bit tubby, but it makes them look all the more attractive.

Plus, plus, plus, still no talk on the Creative Aurvana Live 2...it's been ages since they were released, someone even posted about this on this thread 2 months ago (I do my thread research)/

Right, might want to wait out for the Moe. Personally, I can't wait all that long.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #16,415 of 100,435
  Nah, the VSD1 and VSD1S are pretty good in the clarity and detail department. I've even compared them with er4s and b2 on the hi-res binaural Amber Rubarth album and all the little stuff like the chairs cracking, someone opening doors in the background etc was there. Of course, I haven't heard the SS01 but for the vsonics to not be near to its performance means that the SS01 should be at around ety, gr07's level of performance, which I somehow doubtAnyway, both VSD1 and VSD1S are relatively forgiving though, so they might not be as aggressive in presenting details as some other iems but that's a matter of personal preference and I try to take that factor out of the equation when comparing stuff coz it can make one bash on stuff that is technically just as good or even better as the product he's hyping just because he doesn't like the former's presentation or signature.

All I can say is that the SS01 was surprisingly good, and the VSD1/S were surprisingly not as good as I'd hoped. Honestly, I was expecting the VSD1/S to be a better value. I was proven wrong. There's a possibility that I didn't get an optimal fit with the VSDs --- those things are hard to get a good fit with. I much prefer the GR07 shape. What I noticed, however, was a distinct smoothing over of detail with the VSD models that isn't with the SS01. The SS01 has a FR advantage in that it is boosted in the vocal harmonic region, giving voices better clarity. Overall, however, the VSDs are not as impressive as I hoped.

As for level of detail on the SS01, it is actually very detailed in the midrange. It is not on the level of the ER4S, but it's considerably impressive. At least for detail levels, I feel I have a very good gauge of. I was not expecting much out of it, and it impressed me thoroughly.

I am not trying to put down VSONIC products. I like them a lot. I owned a GR07 for a very long time. How do you know for sure that I don't like the VSD1's signature? Just because I stated that they didn't sound as good as the SS01? How does that automatically make me dislike them?

Also, how can an earphone "not be as aggressive in presenting details as other iems" yet still be "pretty good in the clarity and detail department" ? That sounds contradictory to me, unless you define these things completely different from me and many other people. Your entire posts feels very self-contradictory.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #16,416 of 100,435
  Doesn't the X3 have an uber-low OI (I've not followed up on that thread too). Seems their proper sig is supposed to be mid-centric with low output impedance.
Anyways, glad to hear you liking them. The 600, 700, all need some well-deserved loving.

And I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but the Aurvana 3's price has dropped tremendously this year, you lucky son-of-a-guns. Way more than what I paid for years ago. I grabbed a couple in March, and I'm about to grab a couple of more, these are fantastic IEMs for gifts, easy sound to get into, great feel/build and ergonomics. A bit tubby, but it makes them look all the more attractive.

Plus, plus, plus, still no talk on the Creative Aurvana Live 2...it's been ages since they were released, someone even posted about this on this thread 2 months ago (I do my thread research)/

Right, might want to wait out for the Moe. Personally, I can't wait all that long.

The X3 was measured to have 0.12-0.15 ohm OI, according to DSIII tests from Seeko.

Haven't heard them myself, but the Live 2 should be good. However, it's too heavily filtered. It uses a Sonion 2356 with Orange (4700 ohm? Forgot.) dampers, too much. Creative's problem with their IEMs has been that they use silly heavy dampers --- completely muffles sound. You'll be better off with a CK70PRO or SteelSeries Flux Pro.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #16,417 of 100,435
  Haven't heard them myself, but the Live 2 should be good. However, it's too heavily filtered. It uses a Sonion 2356 with Orange (4700 ohm? Forgot.) dampers, too much. Creative's problem with their IEMs has been that they use silly heavy dampers --- completely muffles sound. You'll be better off with a CK70PRO or SteelSeries Flux Pro.

The full-sized Aurvana Live! 2 is using a 2356 BA?

Wait for it...wait for it...
Now the Aurvana 2, definitely :p

The 3 is smoothed out, but that's what I love about them. The Flux Pro is tantalizing, problem is, I'm waiting for the Flux (dynamic) to come back on hand (extended loan to someone else atm), I've not even heard the very pair I've bought for myself :frowning2:

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #16,418 of 100,435
  The full-sized Aurvana Live! 2 is using a 2356 BA?

Wait for it...wait for it...
Now the Aurvana 2, definitely :p

The 3 is smoothed out, but that's what I love about them. The Flux Pro is tantalizing, problem is, I'm waiting for the Flux (dynamic) to come back on hand (extended loan to someone else atm), I've not even heard the very pair I've bought for myself :frowning2:

My bad... didn't look closely enough. I heard the dynamic Flux is pretty good already. Looks cute too.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #16,419 of 100,435

All I can say is that the SS01 was surprisingly good, and the VSD1/S were surprisingly not as good as I'd hoped. Honestly, I was expecting the VSD1/S to be a better value. I was proven wrong. There's a possibility that I didn't get an optimal fit with the VSDs --- those things are hard to get a good fit with. I much prefer the GR07 shape. What I noticed, however, was a distinct smoothing over of detail with the VSD models that isn't with the SS01. The SS01 has a FR advantage in that it is boosted in the vocal harmonic region, giving voices better clarity. Overall, however, the VSDs are not as impressive as I hoped.

As for level of detail on the SS01, it is actually very detailed in the midrange. It is not on the level of the ER4S, but it's considerably impressive. At least for detail levels, I feel I have a very good gauge of. I was not expecting much out of it, and it impressed me thoroughly.

I am not trying to put down VSONIC products. I like them a lot. I owned a GR07 for a very long time. How do you know for sure that I don't like the VSD1's signature? Just because I stated that they didn't sound as good as the SS01? How does that automatically make me dislike them?

Also, how can an earphone "not be as aggressive in presenting details as other iems" yet still be "pretty good in the clarity and detail department" ? That sounds contradictory to me, unless you define these things completely different from me and many other people. Your entire posts feels very self-contradictory.

All I say is that personal preference plays a big role when evaluating a product. Personal preference is what's makes Dsnuts say the S2 is amazing and you call it bland. Aa far as aggressiveness there's nothing contradictory - there are iems that are very detailed and clear but smoother overall and there are iems that are more aggressive in that manner but they don't actually push more detail and can be harsh and unforgiving to a lot of recordings or ears.  
And as far as the value goes the SS01 is technically about double in price. The Chinese price of VSD1/S is 199 yuan while the SS01 is 388. And even if you consider the higher ebay prices of VSD1/S the same goes for SS01, which if I use something like mistertao or lugbuy gets really close price-wise to the $100 competitors.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #16,421 of 100,435

Fear not, I've come to the rescue!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689069/mini-review-moe-audio-ss01-warning-tongue-in-cheek-and-tacky

Thanks for this! I have a VSD1LE on the way to compare to as well. I have a feeling most people are going to dismiss it (like always) until more people chime in with them. ~$70 via taobao shipped internationally is not bad at all, considering the VSD1LE just got priced bumped to $69 from the only place it is available. I think the Moe might be a better value.

How's the Gratitudes Vs. QuadBeat 2? 
Which one you like more from early impressions?

Graititudes. I like the QB2 (after correction), but the Gratitudes are on another level, and don't even really need correction for me (and I EQ everything).

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #16,422 of 100,435
Graititudes. I like the QB2 (after correction), but the Gratitudes are on another level, and don't even really need correction for me (and I EQ everything).

+1 for the Gratitude's being better than the QB2.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #16,424 of 100,435

+1 for the Gratitude's being better than the QB2.

Seems like Inks who always blasted others for nothing but hype... has become a hype-man himself by his logic...

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back