The discovery thread!
Nov 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #16,171 of 100,287

Anyone know anything about the Pyle PHE7AB USB DAC Headphone Amplifier? Right now on sale on Woot, usually about $250, selling for about $60 (not that I need anything like this, but if it's reasonably good, probably worth it at the price).

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #16,172 of 100,287

Anyone know anything about the Pyle PHE7AB USB DAC Headphone Amplifier? Right now on sale on Woot, usually about $250, selling for about $60 (not that I need anything like this, but if it's reasonably good, probably worth it at the price).

Pyle DACs/Amps are rebranded Fiios.  As confirmed by a Fiio rep: http://www.head-fi.org/t/570198/pyle-audio

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #16,173 of 100,287

What was said above + specifically I believe that model is the E7. You can also pick up an E07K on amazon for $89.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #16,174 of 100,287
Gotta go blow the leaves (otherwise known as the iem isolation test), quick comment. Decided to do quick comparison of my recent over and on ear headphones, the Pioneer HDJ-2000, Martin Logan Mikros 90, and the Beyer DT1350 (all available at discounts one place or another...the DT1350 was being sold on the auction site of Best Buy, someone got them for about $80-90, I had to to to $110. I think they may be on the discontinuation block like some of the others, has been popping up significantly below list price other sites as well). My quick rating: Beyer>ML>Pioneer. Initially liked the Pioneer, still do if listening and not comparing. It has great, palpable bass and really rocks. The highs seem rolled off, soundstage is narrow, and detail not as precise as the other 2. (there is a post on modding the Pioneer here on Head-Fi, not something I'm inclined to do, but I can see why...there is a great headphone hiding in here somewhere). The Mikros is an odd bird...it does some things incredibly well, others not so well. Start with the negatives...odd shape which some find uncomfortable. I don't mind it too much, but find I keep fidgeting with it like an iem I'm trying to get a good seal on. Little shifts bring the bass in and out of focus. Speaking of the bass, it is there, with a good edge, texture, but less in amount than the other 2. You hear it, but don't feel it. Getting the fit exactly right brings it up much more, but it's never like the Pioneer or Beyer. The positives-incredible wide/deep soundstage, black space between instruments, excellent high end, excellent mids, excellent at retrieving detail (and because of the wide stage, they don't jumble or hit you in the face...just there, can hear them without mucking up what's the main body of the music. Too much detail sometimes can obscure the main "plot line", so to speak...not here. Great texture of instruments as well (they were supposedly going for electrostatic speaker sound, think they did that well). The Beyers...so far, and they are the most recent arrival, they seem to combine the best of the other 2. Good soundstage (for a closed speaker), though not as wide as the Mikros. Great bass, detail, rhythm, space between instruments (though, again, not up to the Mikros). Also pretty comfortable, and good looking (Mikros looks nicer to me, but UMMV...Pioneers very generic. Beyers not going to wow the Beats Generation, not flashy or stylish, but not embarassing to be seen in eiher). OK, stalling my date with the leaves long enough, gonna go make some noise!!!!!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #16,175 of 100,287

Pyle DACs/Amps are rebranded Fiios.  As confirmed by a Fiio rep: http://www.head-fi.org/t/570198/pyle-audio

Still a few bucks cheaper, but, as I have an X3, not worth it. Thanks

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #16,176 of 100,287

Gotta go blow the leaves (otherwise known as the iem isolation test), quick comment. Decided to do quick comparison of my recent over and on ear headphones, the Pioneer HDJ-2000, Martin Logan Mikros 90, and the Beyer DT1350 (all available at discounts one place or another...the DT1350 was being sold on the auction site of Best Buy, someone got them for about $80-90, I had to to to $110. I think they may be on the discontinuation block like some of the others, has been popping up significantly below list price other sites as well). My quick rating: Beyer>ML>Pioneer. Initially liked the Pioneer, still do if listening and not comparing. It has great, palpable bass and really rocks. The highs seem rolled off, soundstage is narrow, and detail not as precise as the other 2. (there is a post on modding the Pioneer here on Head-Fi, not something I'm inclined to do, but I can see why...there is a great headphone hiding in here somewhere). The Mikros is an odd bird...it does some things incredibly well, others not so well. Start with the negatives...odd shape which some find uncomfortable. I don't mind it too much, but find I keep fidgeting with it like an iem I'm trying to get a good seal on. Little shifts bring the bass in and out of focus. Speaking of the bass, it is there, with a good edge, texture, but less in amount than the other 2. You hear it, but don't feel it. Getting the fit exactly right brings it up much more, but it's never like the Pioneer or Beyer. The positives-incredible wide/deep soundstage, black space between instruments, excellent high end, excellent mids, excellent at retrieving detail (and because of the wide stage, they don't jumble or hit you in the face...just there, can hear them without mucking up what's the main body of the music. Too much detail sometimes can obscure the main "plot line", so to speak...not here. Great texture of instruments as well (they were supposedly going for electrostatic speaker sound, think they did that well). The Beyers...so far, and they are the most recent arrival, they seem to combine the best of the other 2. Good soundstage (for a closed speaker), though not as wide as the Mikros. Great bass, detail, rhythm, space between instruments (though, again, not up to the Mikros). Also pretty comfortable, and good looking (Mikros looks nicer to me, but UMMV...Pioneers very generic. Beyers not going to wow the Beats crowd, not flashy or stylish, but not embarassing to be seen in eiher). OK, stalling my date with the leaves long enough, gonna go make some noise!!!!!

Great impressions doc! Now get to work!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #16,178 of 100,287
This is why I take *insert random amount of months* breaks from Head-Fi. I get my headphone upgrade fix on the same cycle as I get my android phone upgrade fix.

By the way Vain, M200 is still king of refinement for under $300 to my ears, but the AX-60 is oh so close.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #16,179 of 100,287
I got the opportunity to pick up a pair of Onkyo ie-hf300 for $50. Are they still worth that? Anyone owing both the Onkyo's and the Gratitude's that can think of a reason not to own both?

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #16,180 of 100,287
The PANASONIC HT480s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/688535/the-new-panasonic-rp-ht480#post_9944741 

Freaksauce in SQ!!
eek.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #16,181 of 100,287
One fun thing about doing chores with music-often like to play on "shuffle" or whatever random play setting the player has. Often find something either I had but didn't know, hadn't listened to much, or something I haven't heard in a long time. This came on and cracked me up...

Made me listen to some other stuff by this talented and silly band...

Could go on ("Hey Little Minivan" was my next choice), but I'll leave well enough alone for now...my last posting, Eugene Chadbourne's avante-guarde Hank Williams cover, garnered rave reviews, LOL...
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #16,182 of 100,287
Just to give you guys another idea how small the uDac3 is:

The sound is quite good. Very spacious, good bass kick and has nice power. Might be a great alternative to something like the Dragonfly, Microstreamer or Explorer and on the cheap.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #16,183 of 100,287

What is wrong with you!!!? lol   
blink.gif

dunno maybe i am a bit nutty???

What, these Qadbeats 2 means business. I actually prefer them to my VSD1 by some margin so far. Comparing them to the S2 now!

More to come about these.......

Hmmm interesting, keep em' coming. Great to hear that those QB2s are that nice.
beerchug.gif

Originally Posted by EuphonicArin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/43/100x100px-LS-4392cdc1_scaryprofile.jpeg[/img]
hey guys, I prepped my own picture for Nutman November

^ LMAO obviously my skittles are nowhere near your godly levels Arin. Great job meng, keepin' it real tacky is the way of the troll.

Anyone compared the Quadbeats2 to the Gratitudes?

Would like to know as well......

I've not a A-B'ed them yet but I would say that the Gratitudes are better for my preferences. I'll need to giveth QB2 some more time before I come with more impressions, The first one was jus a teaser 
biggrin.gif

Take your time meng, no rush. Everyone here got too much on their plates anyways. Appreciate all the hard work though. :)

It was while reading your comments in the L2 thread, and reading the headphonia review regarding the L2, that it really hit home how dangerously addictive this hobby is (and how dangerous for the wallet)!

My powers of resistance against getting the L2's are already pretty much non-existent. 
eek.gif

Same here WAYNE same here, btw are the pads on the L2 removable/ replaceable???

Will see how those L2s play out, might have to make some moves if they live up to their hype, though i haven't read much about them. Maybe i shouldn't start. haha
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back