The discovery thread!
Oct 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #15,886 of 99,960
I have had the S500 and S400 for a long time, but unfortunately I can't compare it to the S600.

I did put on some HM5 pads just now. If I EQ in a serious cut in the bass and mid-bass I can get an acceptable sound. Without EQ it sounds like I'm listening to music from a party on the other side of a brick wall. All thump and muffle.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #15,887 of 99,960
So, I've been listening to the Monster Gratitudes for a couple days and I am blown away. Remember when I was looking for a signature in between the AD900X and CKN70s? Well, this is it and it's even better than I expected. The sound is very wide and deep with a lot of space. It is bright in the right places such as the guitars and vocals very slighty. It is not even close to the CKN70s when it comes to sibilance, but it exists. Cymbals are smooth, prominent, and very real sounding. These IEMs have the best bass texture I have ever heard in headphones. The microdetails are off the charts as well. I can't believe I only spent $60 on these, it is the best headphone deal I've ever encountered.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #15,888 of 99,960
Keep in mind this is right after open box. When these babies are burned in they are going to be amazing. If I was to sum the sound up in one word, it would be clear.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #15,889 of 99,960
So, I've been listening to the Monster Gratitudes for a couple days and I am blown away. Remember when I was looking for a signature in between the AD900X and CKN70s? Well, this is it and it's even better than I expected. The sound is very wide and deep with a lot of space. It is bright in the right places such as the guitars and vocals very slighty. It is not even close to the CKN70s when it comes to sibilance, but it exists. Cymbals are smooth, prominent, and very real sounding. These IEMs have the best bass texture I have ever heard in headphones. The microdetails are off the charts as well. I can't believe I only spent $60 on these, it is the best headphone deal I've ever encountered.

Nice to hear some one else liking these. I really love them and find myself reaching foer them all the time, even over my full sized cans at home. I said it before but with the current prices these are outstanding value.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #15,890 of 99,960
Keep in mind this is right after open box. When these babies are burned in they are going to be amazing. If I was to sum the sound up in one word, it would be clear.

Oh, I agree 100% with what you wrote. In fact when I had my Monster Turbine Pro Copper's I remember just listening to them through the whole burn-in process. They just sounded so good even right out of the box.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #15,891 of 99,960
  Haven't heard the new hybrid Sony's yet, but my XBA-3 has remained in my iem lineup since I got them...If you wait and look around, I'd bet they'll be available again at some point for less than $100.

SF-which Beyers you got?

Shhh it's a secret.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681890/dt-250-for-27-80

sf wandered into beyerland! Welcome.
wink.gif
Next step is dt880s....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the invite but i am gunning for these instead.....
evil_smiley.gif
.............................. NOT!!!
triportsad.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiofile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2529035011&ie=UTF8&qid=1382824452&sr=8-1&keywords=t1

Still not sure which Beyer SF got...waiting for the DT 1350, should arrive any day.

+

SF got Beyers dt250.

= What Mr. E said.
ksc75smile.gif

Well, my JVC S660s just showed up. First impression is... horrible. They sound like listening to music with cotton balls stuffed in your ears. Absolutely terrible. But I've got them burning in to see if there's a dramatic shift.

They are definitely on-ears too, although maybe it'll be easier to put larger pads on them. I'm not bothering with that until/if the sound improves.

^ Damn that sucks to hear, hope the CNT tuning in these are as nicely tuned as the S500/400s. Though it could be duds like the HA-S770 tbh. CNT tech can be a bit gimmicky if they are not tuned/ created from the ground up/ from scratch. Hope it's not the case here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637477/jvc-ha-s770-first-over-ear-carbon-nanotubes-headphone

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #15,892 of 99,960

Nice to hear some one else liking these. I really love them and find myself reaching foer them all the time, even over my full sized cans at home. I said it before but with the current prices these are outstanding value.

Same here, glad to see some love for these iem's...I've been dropping their name here for a while...
k701smile.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #15,893 of 99,960

Haven't heard the new hybrid Sony's yet, but my XBA-3 has remained in my iem lineup since I got them...If you wait and look around, I'd bet they'll be available again at some point for less than $100.

SF-which Beyers you got?

Shhh it's a secret.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681890/dt-250-for-27-80

sf wandered into beyerland! Welcome.
wink.gif
Next step is dt880s....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the invite but i am gunning for these instead.....
evil_smiley.gif
.............................. NOT!!!
triportsad.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiofile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2529035011&ie=UTF8&qid=1382824452&sr=8-1&keywords=t1

Still not sure which Beyer SF got...waiting for the DT 1350, should arrive any day.

+

SF got Beyers dt250.

= What Mr. E said.
ksc75smile.gif

Well, my JVC S660s just showed up. First impression is... horrible. They sound like listening to music with cotton balls stuffed in your ears. Absolutely terrible. But I've got them burning in to see if there's a dramatic shift.

They are definitely on-ears too, although maybe it'll be easier to put larger pads on them. I'm not bothering with that until/if the sound improves.

^ Damn that sucks to hear, hope the CNT tuning in these are as nicely tuned as the S500/400s. Though it could be duds like the HA-S770 tbh. CNT tech can be a  gimmicky if they are not tuned/ created from the ground up/ from scratch. Hope it's not the case here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637477/jvc-ha-s770-first-over-ear-carbon-nanotubes-headphone

I remember that item from the Deals Thread...I ordered as well, but not quickly enough. Amazon canceled the order on me. Congratulations...Deal of the Year
popcorn.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #15,894 of 99,960
Quote:
  I remember that item from the Deals Thread...I ordered as well, but not quickly enough. Amazon canceled the order on me. Congratulations...Deal of the Year
popcorn.gif

^ Thanks, lucked out big time fo' sho' cuz when i ordered the item it was already out of stock, but they honored the price/order anyways.

You should have called them up and made a big stink about it. haha j/k

Some that called were able to get happy happy $5 outcomes.
wink.gif

But yeah it was a price mistake no doubt.

Amazon handled it strangely, tbh.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #15,895 of 99,960
I might have gotten the Moxpads sent to a different address o.o Will have to deal with when I get back.

I'm actually liking the newer Monos even though they're quite the jump from the 8320 - less grain.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #15,896 of 99,960
So, went out on my dog walk (get a lot of my best listening in, no distractions, fairly quiet around these parts), took my X3/National, brought along the Sony XBA-3 and the UE TF 10, figuring I'd start listening, but started out with Senn 650 plugged in (Matt Ulery's Loom jazz album, if you have to know). Well, couldn't unplug the 650's, enjoyed the walk, still have to compare the iem;s, but brought to mind a question: anyone compare the Fidelio X1 and the Senn 650/s? 

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #15,897 of 99,960

^ Damn that sucks to hear, hope the CNT tuning in these are as nicely tuned as the S500/400s. Though it could be duds like the HA-S770 tbh. CNT tech can be a bit gimmicky if they are not tuned/ created from the ground up/ from scratch. Hope it's not the case here.

Just carbon, no CNT. They kept that for Japan and the S680 :frowning2:

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #15,898 of 99,960
  Quote:
popcorn.gif

^ Thanks, lucked out big time fo' sho' cuz when i ordered the item it was already out of stock, but they honored the price/order anyways.

You should have called them up and made a big stink about it. haha j/k

Some that called were able to get happy happy $5 outcomes.
wink.gif

But yeah it was a price mistake no doubt.

Amazon handled it strangely, tbh.

Yeah, thought about persuing it at the time, but I already have too much stuff, wasn't worth the trouble, just figured wasn't meant to be.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #15,899 of 99,960
  I might have gotten the Moxpads sent to a different address o.o Will have to deal with when I get back.

I'm actually liking the newer Monos even though they're quite the jump from the 8320 - less grain.

WHAT A NOOB!!! Oh wait i think those got sent to my address.  So thoughtful of you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmmm hope those MoxiPads are super resilient and absorbent.
wink.gif

Don't you just love the Chinese and their naming schemes.
rolleyes.gif

So, went out on my dog walk (get a lot of my best listening in, no distractions, fairly quiet around these parts), took my X3/National, brought along the Sony XBA-3 and the UE TF 10, figuring I'd start listening, but started out with Senn 650 plugged in (Matt Ulery's Loom jazz album, if you have to know). Well, couldn't unplug the 650's, enjoyed the walk, still have to compare the iem;s, but brought to mind a question: anyone compare the Fidelio X1 and the Senn 650/s? 

Sure thing, once i receive those Senni 650s of yours in my mailbox i can A/B them against my x1's no problem.
evil_smiley.gif

Just carbon, no CNT. They kept that for Japan and the S680 :frowning2:

Damn Nationalist!!! Always keeping the good stuff for themselves.  Thought these were tubbies as well, oh well....... JVC done goofed, people just want a slightly more refined version of the S500 that is over-ears tbh, if they make one for $100. DONE DEAL!!!

The hell with those SZ Monsters. haha
triportsad.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #15,900 of 99,960

I warned you! The mono's will grow on you. And these ones actually seem to fit the human ear too! Ain't progress grand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back