The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #99,946 of 101,209
I don't think I've had a harder time deciding between two IEMs than the Kefine Delci and Artti R1.

Very similar in sound signature, build, timbre. It's going to be a fun challenge to find distinctive characteristics that will make my choice.

Both are VERY good for $60. I've also been testing the CCA Trio, and it's very good for $40. But the Delci and R1 are at a higher level, for sure.

More listening and analysis to come!

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #99,948 of 101,209
I don't think I've had a harder time deciding between two IEMs than the Kefine Delci and Artti R1.

Very similar in sound signature, build, timbre. It's going to be a fun challenge to find distinctive characteristics that will make my choice.

Both are VERY good for $60. I've also been testing the CCA Trio, and it's very good for $40. But the Delci and R1 are at a higher level, for sure.

More listening and analysis to come!
Since we are ear twins for the most part, gotta tell you about 2 of my recent acquisitions. Fiio JH5 and Simgot EM6L. Not sure if you've heard them but I'm pretty sure you'd like them. The EM6L is simgots best tuning to my ears. Musical and technically savvy. The JH5 is like a mini Softears Volume (my favorite iem atm). Reviews incoming for both but I have some other priorities before them.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #99,949 of 101,209
Since we are ear twins for the most part, gotta tell you about 2 of my recent acquisitions. Fiio JH5 and Simgot EM6L. Not sure if you've heard them but I'm pretty sure you'd like them. The EM6L is simgots best tuning to my ears. Musical and technically savvy. The JH5 is like a mini Softears Volume (my favorite iem atm). Reviews incoming for both but I have some other priorities before them.
Don't tempt me like this, my man! :)

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #99,950 of 101,209
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #99,951 of 101,209
That image, immediately brought to mind "Dyn-o-mite!"
I just liked the look of the rock so I put it on top 😅. Thought it made a good contrast against the very pink shells.
Doesn't look more expensive than the outstanding JD7 was at its launch.
The JH5 comes with a meh cable and the weirdest, most useless plastic box/holder I've ever seen but the fit is nice and the tuning is 🤌

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #99,952 of 101,209
Short nozzle got you down? These are an incredible solution.

IMG_7432.jpeg
IMG_7433.jpeg
Quick word to say thanks for the heads up. A couple days in with these, and my short-nozzle woes are fast fading.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #99,954 of 101,209
Quick word to say thanks for the heads up. A couple days in with these, and my short-nozzle woes are fast fading.
man I’m glad to help! You were having issues with that Meteor.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #99,955 of 101,209
I’m really curious to know what you think about it.
ST7 impressions.
First, I could not get the ear pieces out of its tight foam packing without some glue around - my first experience of this kind.
The shell seems all-plastic, quite small fits well. I like that TRN continues with old brass nozzles compared to new integrated plastic nozzles of KZ.
20240427_205821.jpg

I tried to compare ST7 with ZS10 pro 2 - really interesting. I used TRI Clarion tips for both.
ST7 reminds me more of old KZ - first good old 30095 BAs with spicy/steely treble compated to more contained treble of newer KZ treble BAs.
The bass of Pro 2 is tighter and more defined. Yet, their both work for different V profiles. ST7 is definitely spicier with its 30095. Yet, the bass balances the treble well for ST7, and the mids are not hollow as in the very first-generation KZs.
Those, who prefer more curve-tuned Trio to Pro 2, are likely to like ST7 less.

Lastly, I got ST7 with the USB DAC. i think it is worth it for few dollars. Nothing special, like $5-$10 DACs, a thin cable, but it works and sounds reasonably good. So it may be useful.
With a good DAC, ST7 is a bit less two-dimensional, and bass is a bit nore defined.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #99,956 of 101,209
ST7 impressions.
First, I could not get the ear pieces out of its tight foam packing without some glue around - my first experience of this kind.
The shell seems all-plastic, quite small fits well. I like that TRN continues with old brass nozzles compared to new integrated plastic nozzles of KZ.
20240427_205821.jpg
I tried to compare ST7 with ZS10 pro 2 - really interesting. I used TRI Clarion tips for both.
ST7 reminds me more of old KZ - first good old 30095 BAs with spicy/steely treble compated to more contained treble of newer KZ treble BAs.
The bass of Pro 2 is tighter and more defined. Yet, their both work for different V profiles. ST7 is definitely spicier with its 30095. Yet, the bass balances the treble well for ST7, and the mids are not hollow as in the very first-generation KZs.

Lastly, I got ST7 with the USB DAC. i think it is worth it for few dollars. Nothing special, like $5-$10 DACs, a thin cable, but it works and sounds reasonably good. So it may be useful.
With a good DAC, ST7 is a bit less two-dimensional, and bass is a bit nore defined.
I reckon the JVC Spiral dots would work better in this scenario.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #99,957 of 101,209
CCA Hydro review by PaulWasabi

Fairly positive,
apparently KZ new DD setup deliver good bass quality(not basshead tuning tough)
the new DD setup apparently give enough black background to emphasize the good mids that was on Rhapsody.
the treble apparently fairly extended, especially compared to their previous attempt, but it was noted it started to show the limit on using bellsing BAs.

and he noted multiple times that this is a KZ/CCA that apparently scales very well with good source.
---

ST7 impressions.

i bought EDX Pro for office giveaway and it came with Case and "J3 Labs Eline" dongle, the cheapest CX31993 you could find apparently, around $4-ish.
very small and somewhat low quality hardware-wise on the outside.
but dude, it sound fairly clean and LOUD for the size.

1714281422455.jpeg

the one in the middle, thats the dongle DAC.
the cable above is C to C cable i use for my BTR5 during charging or laptop use for size comparison.
they apparently also have the $8 version with better physical form from the cable, jack, and a bit more durable looking type-c connector.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #99,958 of 101,209
Shots fired! Moondrop phone ad takes aim.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/517665269706033/posts/984714976334391/

Seems we have a first adopter impressions of the Miad Moondrop phone.

He calls it a "toy" and that it doesn't compare with some dongles in terms of sonic fidelity.

And the phone camera isn't that great apparently.

Sigh, looks like it might be more economical to get a $100 phone with a $20 dongle?

Darnit! I got so excited with your review, because this is right down my alley, and then I looked it up...$400.00. NOPE. PASS. Not paying $400 for something when performance for something sub $100 is so great, and $200-$300 is reaching critical performance. All these kilobuck hunters...I'll hold my tongue, as not to ruffle the feathers and the pitchforks, but yeah, for me to go past $500, it's gonna take something truly special, but this is me. My personal take. Everyone is different.
Nice review brother. I listened to the Aurora at the event. I was impressed earlier with the sound, but then I got to know the attractive price tag of just 400$ approx, my face instantly fell. I mean it is good sounding, but 300-400$ is a highly-competitive market right now.

Yeah diminishing returns are a real thing in the audio hobby, as you go up the ladder. Maybe a 10% - 20% improvement might cost 10x more.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #99,959 of 101,209

He calls it a "toy" and that it doesn't compare with some dongles in terms of sonic fidelity.

Sigh, looks like it might be more economical to get a $100 phone with a $20 dongle?

Old phone + a battery bank + a dongle + the USB splitter cable of iBasso to power the dongle from battery could be nice. Though it wouldn’t be a phone.

Seriously, just use TWS with phone when going out and about, and pack a dongle and a good IEM in a nice case as EDC for when you can sit down, that would be more than adequate.

Yeah diminishing returns are a real thing in the audio hobby, as you go up the ladder. Maybe a 10% - 20% improvement might cost 10x more.

Is it just me or the recent back and forth back and forth on the forum about “diminishing returns” is getting long in the tooth. To me, return is return. Just because it’s no longer cost effective does not diminish its value for those who wants it. I can’t possibly afford the likes of Anni, Dio, 662B, STORM, etc. but god knows if I make that much disposable income like some members here, I’ll buy everything. And when I have those, if those ridiculously overpriced cables can trick me into hearing a bit extra fairy dusts, I’ll buy them too.

Diminishing returns kick in right at the price point where the original KZ ZSN Pro X exist. Just take a pair of random gas station buds at the same price (A$40 ish) and compare it with those KZ. The KZ wipes and mops the floor with those gas station buds.

Unrelated, but I remember a fellow online asking me for advice to buy IEM a long long time ago. They settled for Tanchjim OLA (anyone remember that one?). It took quite a while for them to save up, but one day I saw their message with a photo of the tanchjim, lovingly packed in an aftermarket case along with an after market cable and apple dongle. I can’t quite explain but that photo warms my heart, and how I expect “personal audio” to be. Perhaps that’s a lesson I should remember as I mindlessly browse through musicteck website and silently cursing my empty toy account.

Consumption consumption consumption. The dark side of our “hobby”

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #99,960 of 101,209

well Moondrop themselves consider the camera to be "good enough for QR scanning" which shows the extend of how much care given to the camera section.
but i was kinda guessing that this might ended to be DawnPro/Moonriver strapped to budget midrange phone, like how the do with their mechanical keyboard.

let see whether its good enough smartphone/DAP hybrid for secondary media-hoard phone or its just plain bad for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back