the difference between a $1000 headphone and a $300 headphone.
Feb 5, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #18 of 174
In this world, value=/=$
you paid 1 cent, you got 1 cent SQ,
but if you want 2 cent SQ, you have to pay 10 cent,
and you want 3 cent SQ, you definitely need to pay 1 dollar.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen with your ears, not with your wallet.

x2

It's not how much you spend or how much it sounds better, its how much you enjoy it.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #21 of 174
There's one company i cant remember the name..they have a tagline: "Trust your ears"

unless u can find a difference yourself and a significant one..dont spend.

many people have this misconception mainly created by Bose.

Edit: the company is Atrio....their tagline: "Believe your ears"

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #22 of 174
Most headphones above 300$ is more like changing in sound signature rather than improving sound quality.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #23 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this world, value=/=$
you paid 1 cent, you got 1 cent SQ,
but if you want 2 cent SQ, you have to pay 10 cent,
and you want 3 cent SQ, you definitely need to pay 1 dollar.

Or, for you economists out there, law of diminishing marginal returns on a logarithmic scale.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #24 of 174
I've noticed a trend with the extremely expensive headphones, many of them don't seem to loose much value. On the contrary, some seems to have increased their value a lot since going out of production.

But currently, I enjoy my old Grundig more than the more expensive (but not in the extremely expensive category) Senn HD580, so price can't be everything.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really hard to say this phone sounds x% better than another, and then try to quantify that percentage in terms of money.

I recently had an eye-opening experience along this line. I A/B'd my Grado SR60's with the SR225's. For almost triple the price you get about a 10-15% improvement in sound quality imo.

All phones are different. Different may be better to you and not me or vice versa. Knowhatimean?

Edit: I think this is going to be an interesting thread, I think I may subscribe....

^^Really? I'd put it at 100% more. The bass in the SR60 is like a flea fart...and the highs are very unfocussed. Very overrated IMO.
The SR 225 is in another dimension altogether...

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 174
The best headphones, period, that I have ever heard are DT150s. They only cost me $180 (though MSRP is $400.)

By all accounts, D2000 and D5000 are identical except for the wooden housing and the cable.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 174
I remember the first time I had the opportunity to try the entire Sennheiser full-size range. At the time I was using MB Quart QP55Xs, which nowadays aren't considered anything special (somebody described them as sounding like cheap Grados). Anyway, I had a go of a few of them up to the HD-650s plugged into an expensive CD player. Suffice to say, I wasn't impressed considering what they cost in Australia back in 2005 or so.

Forward to now, and I'm now well aware that the top of the line Sennheisers are very reflective of the quality of the amp driving them, not to mention the source. So now what came across as vastly overpriced headphones in 2005 seem a relative bargain at $300-400 considering people re-cable them and hook them up to $5000 amps with $10,000 CD players.

So what I'm saying is, the equation isn't nearly as simple as price, not even just of the headphones.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, for you economists out there, law of diminishing marginal returns on a logarithmic scale.

mms actually i just did the math and the figures don't fit a logarthimic scale,

the figures given are

1 unit of SQ corresponds to 1 Cent of cost
2 units of SQ corresponds to 10 Cent of cost
3 units of SQ corresponds to 100 Cent of cost

whereas to fit within a logarthimic scale, the 3 units of SQ should cost 1000,

and SQ= F(P) i.e. sound quality as a function of price can be expresed as

SQ= log base 10^1/2 (P)

i think- unless i got my calculations wrong

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #30 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have the right gear the differencies are BIG,
if you have an bad/mediocre source and a poor amplification differencies will be minimal.
All audio chain is important (yes, including cables), not only headphones, do not forget that.

Obtaining the "right gear" would add to the expenses, which further raises the question about the difference between a $1,000 set and a $90,000 set......

I'm just gonna watch from the ringside..
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back