The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jun 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #7,442 of 15,119
Quote:

I use it at home: I've got a box built after one of Jan Meier's designs, with switchable levels, and dials for matching the output impedance of the upstream device and input impedance of the downstream device.

The Porta Corda I have with crossfeed I end up not using much. It lacks the precision and PRaT of the Leckerton amp -- after comparing the two I've found I prefer the Leckerton's advantages to the Porta Corda's. I have given some thought to building an LOD with a crossfeed circuit in it, although for the sake of compactness it wouldn't be a great one.

Ultimately, though, the necessity of crossfeed varies with the type of recording fed through it. Most recordings have relatively subtle channel mixes, and the collapse of the acoustic space in live recordings tends to be ignorable. And I've found that if I listen to music without crossfeed for a length of time, I become sufficiently desensitised to the ping-pong effect inherent in super-separated recordings and don't mind it.

When I can listen for the pleasure of listening, rather than just providing myself background music, I really value it. Otherwise, it's really more of a nice-to-have thing.

Part of depends on the recording and the headphone.  If I'm listening to so-so headphones that don't have much in the way of either imaging or soundstage then I can usually listen to modern pop/rock/metal/etc without issue but older stuff that was mixed better or good classical or jazz is still a no-go.  As imaging and soundstage improve I need crossfeed more.

With my SE530s which have great imaging but not a lot of soundstage I could get an hour or two of listening to stuff with little L/R separation without issue.  Half decent full size phones which usually have a fuller soundstage but so-so imaging require crossfeed with pretty much anything that's not mono if I plan to listen for more than a half hour straight..  The PFE 232s have reached that level of soundstage as well.  Three or four Jpop/metal tracks of a few minutes of a good symphony and it sometimes it feels like my brain is trying to tear itself in half.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #7,443 of 15,119
Prepare to have your minds blown, ladies and gentlemen. Behold! Corn! Denon's full new product lines! They're really going all out with this design philosophy.

Oh wow. The flagship doesn't look half bad at all in real pictures. None of them do actually

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #7,444 of 15,119
Jun 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7,445 of 15,119
Quote:
Oh wow. The flagship doesn't look half bad at all in real pictures. None of them do actually

I don't know why people were flipping out... I loved the look of the Artisan one at first sight!! The others are 'Ok'... but those D7100s... I WANT ONE!!!

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #7,447 of 15,119
Quote:
Can't tell if you're being facetious or not...

I'm not. It's a minidrama set up with the Diamond Tears headphone as the channel through which the narrative is trying to force a heck of a lot of sentiment and emotional intensity. The only one worthy of his greatest creation -- the Diamond Tears headphone -- is that woman, the unattainable object of his affection.

The guy in the interview is obviously not the headphone designer, he's an actor. The story of the headphone has about as much to do with reality as, well, something or another else that's also really bogus.

But I don't see any evidence of this not being actual marketing/sales material produced on behalf of -- and paid for by -- Monster Products. It's selling something they make, so why wouldn't it be?

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #7,448 of 15,119
Quote:
I like how the D7100 looks. Waiting for first impressions of them.

Ditto - despite the others being hideous, I find myself digging the Artisan and am feeling optimistic about it.  For now, though, I just wish people would read the OP of that thread before going on their **** tyraids.  Some of them are bitching about things that are already just wrong with what little we know at this point.

Also, while I'm doing some bitching of my own... where do people get this idea that the HD800's are made out of expensive materials?  You're paying at least 90% for R&D, driver matching/QC, and having a product handmade in Germany as opposed to China.  The materials really aren't all that special, which doesn't bother me at all, but it annoys the hell out of me when people say "x looks cheap compared to a headphone like the HD800" when often times x (mostly the Artisan in this case) has more expensive raw materials.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,449 of 15,119
I guess I'm just getting old, I'm still not crazy about the new line of Denon's. If they actually sound incredible looks may be forgiven but every time I see a picture of the new Denon line the first thing that pops into my head is "oh look Beats has gone upscale and is now using a credible brand name for their headphones". I know it's silly and I shouldn't worry about the looks of the headphones but still I just can't get past how mass market big box store they look. In any case has anyone heard any information concerning the new Denon IEM's? I'm rather curious concerning pricing, release date and how they sound. It would be nice to see Denon with a nice sounding high end IEM in their stable.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #7,450 of 15,119
Quote:
In any case has anyone heard any information concerning the new Denon IEM's? I'm rather curious concerning pricing, release date and how they sound. It would be nice to see Denon with a nice sounding high end IEM in their stable.

This quote was taken out of Mkubota1's Fujiya Avic thread...

"The new IEMs sound good... really good.  They are fairly balanced but definitely not lacking in fun, much like their headphone relatives.  My only worry is their price, which will be more inline with triple balanced armature IEMs despite these being doubles.  But if people judge them more on their sound quality, these should sell.  A few features that I noticed were 'sealed' silicon tips and a new type of cable material that I have not seen before.  For the tips, think of your regular IEM tip that has an open flap on the large end; whereas these tips have that part closed off.  The result is something that is a bit more rigid than 'regular' tips, but not as stiff or hard as (Monster) gel or foam filled ones.  The cable has a really durable feel to it.  Yet it is very compliant despite having a more plasticy than rubbery feel.  I wish I had asked about it because it is some really nice stuff!"

Seems promising... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #7,451 of 15,119
Quote:
This quote was taken out of Mkubota1's Fujiya Avic thread...

"The new IEMs sound good... really good.  They are fairly balanced but definitely not lacking in fun, much like their headphone relatives.  My only worry is their price, which will be more inline with triple balanced armature IEMs despite these being doubles.  But if people judge them more on their sound quality, these should sell.  A few features that I noticed were 'sealed' silicon tips and a new type of cable material that I have not seen before.  For the tips, think of your regular IEM tip that has an open flap on the large end; whereas these tips have that part closed off.  The result is something that is a bit more rigid than 'regular' tips, but not as stiff or hard as (Monster) gel or foam filled ones.  The cable has a really durable feel to it.  Yet it is very compliant despite having a more plasticy than rubbery feel.  I wish I had asked about it because it is some really nice stuff!"

Seems promising... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems very promising thank you

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #7,453 of 15,119
IMO people are flipping out with the new Denon lines' design (including me) is because it took some of Beats' designs. Begrudgingly, I too am beginning to grow out of my knee-jerk design impressions and starting to feel like it's at least unique. And more to the point, I appreciate that Denon kept on going with closed back headphones. Now we'll just have to see if it's a true closed back or if it's vented or ported in some manner.

I did read somewhere about the new Denons. No it's not that CNet one with Steve Guttenberg in it. Some of the things with the other lines, Urban Raver and Globe Cruiser, IIRC have some sort of gimmick on them. And IIRC, all of them have companion apps to go with. The common trait/functionality of the apps is, the one that stands out the most that is, a 100-band EQ.

Quote: Globe Cruiser common functionality
An interesting all-in-one rotary control on one earpiece lets you adjust volume, skip tracks, etc. — and if you press and hold the center of the control, it calls up Siri on your iPhone.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the Globe Cruiser ones, especially the IEMs.

Quote: Urban Raver IEM
Each of the IEM’s seemingly bulky earpieces has one of Denon’s patented Double Air Compression Drivers. It’s an arrangement with dual 11mm drivers, both firing at each other into a chamber that vents directly to your ear.

It seems dual dynamic drivers are really catching up.

Quote: Urban Raver over-ear
...has an internal amp said to provide massively boosted bass. You can also run it with the amp switched off for a flatter response. For added flash, an LED-lit blue ring surrounds the control wheel.

This will be the gaudy headphones going head-to-head with base-lovin' kids.

Heck even the Exercise line is wireless. Kind of neat. I guess. I still wish that Denon drop that faux stitching from the black Music Maniac one. And drop the naming scheme. My inner hipster audiophile is rolling in pain and agony.

Mind explaining why you're looking for one DF?

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #7,454 of 15,119
Quote:

Mind explaining why you're looking for one DF?

There's two main reasons I guess

The first reason is simply I'm very curious about it. Both joker and ClieOs gave it very high marks yet the few people outside of Japan (it's no longer for sale outside of Japan) who bought it before j-phonic shut out all out of country buyers either really love it or almost immediately put it up on the FS forums. It's a product that's gotten a rather weird reception on here the big reviewers all gave it extremely high marks but it seems the few who have it either love it or hate it. It also seems to be an IEM whose reviewers can't seem to agree on. Joker describes the sound as a neutral with boarder line analytical sound attributes with great extension in the highs an lows and highly detailed mids that sound raw. ClieOs describes it as a neutral with just a touch of warmth with mids that boarder on sweet sounding. To me sweet sounding usually implies fluid mids which means excellent transition into the lower treble and upper bass frequencies. The only thing that either reviewer seems to agree on is that the K2 sp has great bass with great impact for the type of sound signature it has. If I remember right joker even went so far as to say it has more bass then the Vsonic GR07 with more impact and depth thrown in. If the K2 sp really is a boarder line analytical with better then average bass impact it's one weird tuned IEM and as such it intrigues me. Analytical and neutrals in general aren't supposed to have deep rumbley bass that slams out at you they're usually punchy highly controlled and quick and lean with lots of detail.

The second reason well I'll admit it, ego. I'd love to be one of the few people outside of Japan who has a pair of these in my IEM collection. I'm a music nut first but I'm still a collector second. The fact this IEM is so hard to find outside of Japan makes it a very collectable item.

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #7,455 of 15,119
Quote:
There's two main reasons I guess

The first reason is simply I'm very curious about it. Both joker and ClieOs gave it very high marks yet the few people outside of Japan (it's no longer for sale outside of Japan) who bought it before j-phonic shut out all out of country buyers either really love it or almost immediately put it up on the FS forums. It's a product that's gotten a rather weird reception on here the big reviewers all gave it extremely high marks but it seems the few who have it either love it or hate it. It also seems to be an IEM whose reviewers can't seem to agree on. Joker describes the sound as a neutral with boarder line analytical sound attributes with great extension in the highs an lows and highly detailed mids that sound raw. ClieOs describes it as a neutral with just a touch of warmth with mids that boarder on sweet sounding. To me sweet sounding usually implies fluid mids which means excellent transition into the lower treble and upper bass frequencies. The only thing that either reviewer seems to agree on is that the K2 sp has great bass with great impact for the type of sound signature it has. If I remember right joker even went so far as to say it has more bass then the Vsonic GR07 with more impact and depth thrown in. If the K2 sp really is a boarder line analytical with better then average bass impact it's one weird tuned IEM and as such it intrigues me. Analytical and neutrals in general aren't supposed to have deep rumbley bass that slams out at you they're usually punchy highly controlled and quick and lean with lots of detail.

The second reason well I'll admit it, ego. I'd love to be one of the few people outside of Japan who has a pair of these in my IEM collection. I'm a music nut first but I'm still a collector second. The fact this IEM is so hard to find outside of Japan makes it a very collectable item.

I can see myself acting like that too. Mostly in regards to the fabled AT AD(A)1000/2000(X). The design is what pulled me towards them at first, the AD700 being the first I saw like it. Then I knew that the the models I mentioned hardly got sold outside Japan, with the AD2000 briefly there in the US. But as it is, it's mighty expensive and my environment is not conducive for open cans like the AD1000/2000. Makes me sad, really. I can aim to get the A1000X/2000X but it has the same problem: expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back