The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Nov 6, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #528 of 3,746

Quote:
Really?? Thats impressive. I'm not sure if any other company bothers doing it.

Not Westone..  not UE, not Jerry Harvey..  NOBODY!!

Uh huh ...

Developed for three years, here ...

Uh huh ...

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #535 of 3,746
That, I don't know. My translating skills aren't quite good for that kind of stuff... yet
regular_smile .gif

Lol, I feel so bad for wilzc now, feels like we're taking it tad too far. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #536 of 3,746
Since we all don't gt jap or Chinese. I Would interpret the diagram as that sony sourced the drivers from the same one source as shure ue and ath. That however is inconclusive 

Alhough. Sony loves making their own drivers. And have always done so

Its okay. No joke is too far. I know Nickys sorta sarcasm laden remarks well anyway 

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #537 of 3,746

Quote:
Since we all don't gt jap or Chinese. I Would interpret the diagram as that sony sourced the drivers from the same one source as shure ue and ath. That however is inconclusive 

Alhough. Sony loves making their own drivers. And have always done so

Its okay. No joke is too far. I know Nickys sorta sarcasm laden remarks well anyway 

What are you even looking at the picture Wilson, the bottom has a Knowles driver pointing to UE, SHure, Audio Techinical and Klipsch, it's Sony's way of saying "Look! It all comes from the same place!" (in fairness there's a couple other companies, Sonion and someone else).

Then at the top we have the NEW balanced armature driver, made by Sony by their dev. team in that pretty building in Tokyo, it's a top-firing mechanism and speculated to operate without crossovers.

What I don't get is, if they really put so much effort into the new BA series, why is the XBA-4 only $270? So my theory is Sony wants to take a large slice of the cake this time, and not just niche themselves into the 1% of qualia-ness.

Example, typical hipster with no idea about IEM's... buys the XBA-1 "my friend has the XBA-2" *buys XBA-2* wow this sounds so good *buys XBA-3* and so on, releasing 4 IEM's at once all within reach to an average consumer, that's why they have the "IP" volume control on some of them, intended for the average consumer, with only a mobile phone as his/her portable music source.

With the XBA-4 at $270, someone happy with the XBA-1 won't be the slightest bit tempted to try similiar balanced armatures out there, Sony is serving the whole cake to their face at once.

So how will this affect us? Impossible to know right now, but the Japanese reviews on their sound quality should start turning up in a few days. :)

(This is all just my theory)

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #538 of 3,746
All I want is someone t bring the ex1000s in this Sunday.  

Ive heard the westone 4. 

Pretty good. I'd still pay the premium for westone. Xba4 looks boring and I comfy. 

This is quite a different take for Sony. They usually start high  ex1000. Zx1000. Xb1000. All came with overblown prices 

Also interested to see if gr01s are another twfk clone 

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #539 of 3,746

Quote:
All I want is someone t bring the ex1000s in this Sunday.  

Ive heard the westone 4. 

Pretty good. I'd still pay the premium for westone. Xba4 looks boring and I comfy. 

This is quite a different take for Sony. They usually start high  ex1000. Zx1000. Xb1000. All came with overblown prices 

Also interested to see if gr01s are another twfk clone 

If you started with the XBA-1 or 2 as your first IEM ever, I doubt you'd pay a $130 premium for some "west tones".

You also thought the Darkvoice 339 looked boring, you have a strange perception of boring!!!

If Vsonic have made another TWFK clone then they have failed miserably, unless they price it at $110 street price.

Agree, this is a new take for Sony in IEM's and headphones, but in the past they've released stuff at a negative loss, like the PS3, they were losing millions on that, it took years and years for them to catch up and start making profit with the PS3.

Sony Discman same story, the first one ever made cost $800 per unit to make, and sold for a lot less, they were just losing money for years, lol.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #540 of 3,746

Quote:
I need someone to translate this too, I'm having trouble... understanding.

Okay.  I will see if I can help.
It's a 20-story steel-framed building with glass curtainwall exterior. 
The architect here is using the mid-century modernist technique of "free facade".  Meaning, the supporting columns have been moved interior (towards the inside of the building), allowing for free expression (windows, etc.) on the outside skin of the building.

However, this architect has decided to locate the x-bracing there instead.
This building, since located in a seismic zone, has the additional requirement of resisting high lateral forces (earthquakes move buildings from "side to side").  So, steel x-bracing is used.  But, rather than hide the x-bracing in the "core" of the building (along stairwells or elevator shafts), it is expressed on the facade, and visible through the glass curtainwall.

There's also some clever play, with letting the glass curtainwall extend higher than the roof plane, creating a transluscent "parapet" of sorts.  I've wanted to try that trick for a while, but never had a building to try it on...

I think it's a pretty attractive building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back