The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Nov 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #541 of 3,746
The exact same thing I commented when I first found out about the 01s. They're 200 dollars. And if they're just gonna re-tune a TWFK, thats a step backwards from the GR07, even if they manage to get it sounding good. Its just..  another  le-sigh..    hopefully not.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #543 of 3,746

Quote:
Okay.  I will see if I can help.
It's a 20-story steel-framed building with glass curtainwall exterior. 
The architect here is using the mid-century modernist technique of "free facade".  Meaning, the supporting columns have been moved interior (towards the inside of the building), allowing for free expression (windows, etc.) on the outside skin of the building.

However, this architect has decided to locate the x-bracing there instead.
This building, since located in a seismic zone, has the additional requirement of resisting high lateral forces (earthquakes move buildings from "side to side").  So, steel x-bracing is used.  But, rather than hide the x-bracing in the "core" of the building (along stairwells or elevator shafts), it is expressed on the facade, and visible through the glass curtainwall.

There's also some clever play, with letting the glass curtainwall extend higher than the roof plane, creating a transluscent "parapet" of sorts.  I've wanted to try that trick for a while, but never had a building to try it on...

I think it's a pretty attractive building.

but will it blend?

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #545 of 3,746

Well I guess we'll just discuss architecture while waiting for the XBA reviews to start popping up in Japan then.

So... what's Panasonics offices look like? Toshiba? JVC? Here's a video featuring a Fostex workshop in Japan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jy0pei91Gg

You actually see a glimpse of the 'TH900' in that video, that was over 2 years ago, they're not in a rush to develop their audio products. :)

We could also discuss some of the new pretty pictures listed here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/578899/headphone-festival-2011-in-tokyo-october-29th-2011-pictorial-bandwidth-warning

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #547 of 3,746

Seems we have some Sony XBA impressions here, I'm copy-pasting this info from user Mkubota1. (source)

​
 ​
The Sony BA Premium Headphones. For me, these stole the show. I am up to my ears (no pun) in BA IEMs, and while I like each of the ones that I have for their own sound, I promised myself that I would not get anymore of the BA kind (dynamics are still fair game). But these made the exception. Of the four models on hand, I liked the XBA-3sl the most, with the 4sl a reasonably close second. Here are my notes from the 3sl: "wow. Sweet highs! Nice bottom end. A bit of a v-shaped curve. Really smooth upper area though. Bass is pretty big (fat) for a BA. Wow. I have a prediction that this will be a very popular IEM. My god this is one sweet smooth sounding IEM! 2nd listen... still shaking my head. Freq separation and clairty. Man." And when I was listening to them, I actually was shaking my head.​
 ​
 ​
And at a show like this, of course you would meet the lead designer of the line. His business card says:​
 ​
Naotaka Tsunoda
Sony MVP 2004​
Distinguished Engineer Dept No. 1​
Personal Entertainment Division​
 ​
If you Google his name, you will find that he hold multiple patents. I had the honor of having a brief conversation with him, and he pointed to the gentleman on his right as being the lead engineer of the design team. How cool is that? Other Head-Fiers in the group were similarly impressed with the 3sl and 4sl. Some of my notes from the other models: 4sl "warmer and more forward mids from the 3. Like a W4 (Westone) with more balls. This has an exotic sound to it. The highs are similar to the 3s but a little hidden by the midrange- not in a bad way. I'm shaking my head listening to these. It has a slightly dark character to it. I prefer the 3 for now, but this is very nice too." 1sl "same smooth overall character to upper models. Not the same level of sweetness or bass (of the 3), but still really nice. Quite neutral. Over-achiever." 2sl "sort of the opposite character of the 1. Big v shape. Probably the most ordinary of the lineup."
 ​

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #548 of 3,746

Ah... now this is what I was looking for.

​
These are the new Fostex TH900 dynamic headphones that were on the promotional poster and material for the show, alongside the HP-A8.​
 ​
 ​
On the downside, I was only able to listen to them for a very brief few minutes since it was almost closing time and I wanted to let the other people in line hear them too. But very quickly after listening to them on the HP-A8, I plugged them into my HP-P1 where I could listen to my reference material. And man, those headphones sounded great! I had been spending the last two weeks listening to Stax 007s and 009s almost every other day at various places. And while I can't really say how they compare directly, what I am saying is that they are in that league (top tier, HD-800, LCD-2/3, etc.). I definitely hope to hear them again sometime soon for a longer period of time.​
 ​

You see the SD card on the back of the HP-A8? That supports DSD (.DSF) playback.

In other words, you can rip an SACD, transfer it to an SDHC, and play it directly from the Fostex HP-A8, without an SACD player.

Why SACD instead of CD? Because multi-channel on speakers sounds amazing, that's why. I listened to "Björk - Debut" in 5.1 (DVD-A) today, one of my favorite albums, she remastered it a few years ago.

Why DSD instead of PCM, in only 2-channel? Here's a decent article on it - http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/whitePaper/DS668WP1.pdf

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #550 of 3,746
Nov 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #551 of 3,746
nice!

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #552 of 3,746

Quote:
Hmmm I missed that one too.

Check this out - http://www.ortofon-dj.com/en/products/headphones/263?phpMyAdmin=e5a01501e493495e7d4929f2ae4ee988 the headphone specs link us right back.. to head-fi! AHAhahaha.

Edit: OK, they hired Ultrasone to make them for them, according to Ortofon's desired specs, makes sense, so this is a "DJ" headphone and made by Ultrasone... Errrrrrr

Didn't get why Ortofon made this move. Its strange. I knew it was ultrasone coz of the S-Logic.
Dunno why a company like ortofon got a another big company to make their DJ headphones What??

BTW u MUST listen to the Ultrasone PRo 2900. Crazy good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back