The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Dec 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,686 of 3,746
Have you auditioned Denon 2/5/7K series?

Quote:

A reflex dot is a small hard surface placed directly behind the driver to reflect back a little more treble.  It requires experimentation with size and material to get the right frequencies without smearing treble detail.

I think my T50RP creates a more convincing sound field with forward projection and out of head imaging than the "mid-tier" open phones I've heard and much better than popular and high end closed 'phones I've heard like the W1000X, Denon Dx000 series, and the ED8.  The imaging isn't as precise as good IEMs though.

That does leave out some other closed 'phones I'd like hear like your T5P, the T70, R10, JVC DX1000, and the Stax 4070.  I don't have MuppetFace's collection of limited edition AT woodies though.  She's playing by different rules...

Also...

with this change of avatar all is well in the world again.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,688 of 3,746

Quote:
Got some money to spare, not sure whether to buy more iems or jump on the HP-wagon.

If your looking for a change I'd recommend the full size segment. I notice at certain times I'll prefer a certain headphon/IEM. So its very good to have more than one to fill the void.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,689 of 3,746
Quote:
Have you auditioned Denon 2/5/7K series?

Yep, its right there in bold...

Quote:
I think my T50RP creates a more convincing sound field with forward projection and out of head imaging than the "mid-tier" open phones I've heard and much better than popular and high end closed 'phones I've heard like the W1000X, Denon Dx000 series, and the ED8.  The imaging isn't as precise as good IEMs though.

I've owned or heard all 3.  I didn't hear the same sort of soundstage depth or 3D positioning of my T50RPs from any of them.  I never had them all at the same time, but my chain of comparison is as follows.

I didn't think any of them had a better soundstage than the HD650s.  I got the HD650's right after selling the 2K and liked it much better, owned the 5Ks for a short time while I owned the HD650 and sold the 5K, and compared the 7K to my HD650s at a meet.  Latter after I got my T50RPs and modded them to a satisfactory degree I though they out performed the HD650s in soundstage.

IIRC the W1000x (which I heard on the same day as the 7Ks) was better than the D7000 in regards to forward projection and "3D-ness" as well.  There are other little things I didn't like about the Dx000 line like the sibilance and the fact that they don't have any worthwhile isolation despite being mostly closed.

I've never heard an open modded one like in your avatar before though.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #1,690 of 3,746

The denon 5000s were about to go on the for sale forum until I came across the open-back mod. Now they are home to stay. I never auditioned the HD650 but coming from IE8s, the open-back denon 5000s sound stage is quite noticeably bigger (that is one of the biggest changes with them being open). The treble is definitely more focused than before and is very airy. No more bloated bass, just tight and detailed bass. Mids are open and full of life now since the drivers are no longer stifled. A huge difference from stock, nothing alike from before. The thing with this mod is if you think the denons were revealing before, they are horribly revealing now and completely rip into the recording. Using sub-par sources will result in a crappy audio experience. You feed them $hit and that's what you'll get in return.
Quote:

Yep, its right there in bold...

I've owned or heard all 3.  I didn't hear the same sort of soundstage depth or 3D positioning of my T50RPs from any of them.  I never had them all at the same time, but my chain of comparison is as follows.

I didn't think any of them had a better soundstage than the HD650s.  I got the HD650's right after selling the 2K and liked it much better, owned the 5Ks for a short time while I owned the HD650 and sold the 5K, and compared the 7K to my HD650s at a meet.  Latter after I got my T50RPs and modded them to a satisfactory degree I though they out performed the HD650s in soundstage.

IIRC the W1000x (which I heard on the same day as the 7Ks) was better than the D7000 in regards to forward projection and "3D-ness" as well.  There are other little things I didn't like about the Dx000 line like the sibilance and the fact that they don't have any worthwhile isolation despite being mostly closed.

I've never heard an open modded one like in your avatar before though.

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,692 of 3,746
i seem to have a love affair ..not with kiteki's avatars, but with the denons. ..
okkk kiteki's avatars are sweet...
ermm....dun mind next year's avatars too.
wink_face.gif

from "asia" with love

lorspeaker.

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,693 of 3,746

Don't you have a pair of Denon 2000s and 7000s? Why not try out the open-back mod on your denon 2000s and post your impressions? The mod can be easily reversed and is not permanent. Trying to spread the word on a very capable and overlooked mod.
Quote:
i seem to have a love affair ..not with kiteki's avatars, but with the denons. ..
okkk kiteki's avatars are sweet...
ermm....dun mind next year's avatars too.
wink_face.gif

from "asia" with love

lorspeaker.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,694 of 3,746
Anybody knows where I can buy the AKG3003 in US,preferably on-line? Happy Holidays

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,695 of 3,746
When mathematics meets chaos theory the long-term predictions are not possible due to small differences in initial conditions like rounding errors in numerical computation, and even though with no random elements involved it should be deterministic it's not and all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back